What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Oh dear you have the fish... And as I have said from the start, this is a firs or second rung above the woody woodpecker, but a couple below air for example, which in turn is the same for air, on a par even below Rita on intensity and intimidation etc etc. it does what it should, get lower thrill seekers up a rung or two.

Smithy said:
Did you all go to Alton to ride it?

Yes.

Job done then.

As enthusiasts (and in some examples the GP) you may find the marketing was MASSIVELY over the top, but during construction it built up a brilliant amount of hype that was used effectively to generate interest in the park. Whilst it's fair to argue it hasn't lived up to the hype, it's harsh to say it's a failure given it got each and every one of you to visit the park and give them your money.

^this. But did the public really like it? I mean Alton bragged that they had a fantastic year attendance wise because of Thirteen, but something tells me that it's purely down to fantastic marketing! most people are of the opinion it's not a great coaster and they wouldn't make the trip back to ride it. So for me it's a huge WIN for marketing and a bit of a meh for the ride itself.

Re: New

Az said:
Forgive me, but you've missed the point. Twice.

FaceYourNemesis said:
utter failure Th13teen was (marketing wise)

I'm not saying the ride is a complete failure, and neither was FaceYourNemesis, we were referring to the marketing campaign they ran. Claiming a ride is going to be terrifying and delivering a thoroughly unterrifying ride constitutes a marketing failure.

The ride is fine for families, for children and yes it may have had the queues I'm not disputing that, but anyone, not just us message board losers, anyone who had seen their adverts for the ride would have been expecting a scary ride, which it quite simply isn't.

It isn't about the ride, it's about the way it is sold. They should not have passed it off as scary (or, arguably, even thrilling) same as they should not pass Nemesis off as a tame ride ideal for children as an introduction to coasters.

(sheesh that was long to type on my phone)

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)
No, a marketing failure would be marketing that has failed to attract the desired number of people to the park and to the ride. The point of marketing is to promote a product and generate interest in it. You're simply pissed off with the marketing, the fact that you were probably drawn in and excited by it, and ultimately disappointed. I miss no points, you just lack language clarity.

Ok, we get the whole "Th13teen was marketed wrong" thing. We've discussed it to death in topics where it was appropriate.

Feel free to dig up one of those old topics, or even start a new one, but can we get back to the topic in hand please: the rumoured new coaster for 2013.

Can we please stop talking about Thi3teen and get back to the topic.

If only a mod had already suggested that right above your post, then we'd have known? :roll:

Please, no more mini-modding from anyone - furie

blivvies biggest fan said:
Oh dear you have the fish... And as I have said from the start, this is a firs or second rung above the woody woodpecker, but a couple below air for example, which in turn is the same for air, on a par even below Rita on intensity and intimidation etc etc. it does what it should, get lower thrill seekers up a rung or two.

This...

يا عزيزتي لديك الأسماك... وكما قلت منذ البداية، وهذا هو التنوب الدرجة الثانية أو فوق نقار الخشب وودي، ولكن بضع أدناه الهواء على سبيل المثال، والذي بدوره هو نفسه بالنسبة للنقل الجوي، على قدم المساواة حتى دون ريتا على الشدة والترهيب، الخ الخ . يفعل ما ينبغي، والحصول على أقل طالبي التشويق بإعداد درجة أو اثنين
يا عزيزتي لديك الأسماك... وكما قلت منذ البداية، وهذا هو التنوب الدرجة الثانية أو فوق نقار الخشب وودي، ولكن بضع أدناه الهواء على سبيل المثال، والذي بدوره هو نفسه بالنسبة للنقل الجوي، على قدم المساواة حتى دون ريتا على الشدة والترهيب، الخ الخ . يفعل ما ينبغي، والحصول على أقل طالبي التشويق بإعداد درجة أو اثنين

...makes just as much sense to me.

I think he is say that it is more intense then Woody Woopecer (kiddie coaster?), but not as intense as Air (even though Air isn't intense). After that, he lost me.

Okay, let me rephrase that, it's more intimidating and intense than a kiddie coaster but not as intense as a B&M for example. In my opinion, it is a good next level kiddie coaster that you could ride to gather the courage to ride one of the bigger ones, I'm talking about the GP here, obviously an enthusiast wouldn't need a 'next level' to gather courage for anything at Alton.

Jake said:
blivvies biggest fan said:

This...

...makes just as much sense to me.

Omiggod thank **** someone else felt the same <3

^ I'm thinking Gloomy Wood - Katanga Canyon. If the flume is going, then a new coaster might just fit there.

Yes - this does seem a likely area to me. Pity the area around Coaster Corner is so family-orientated nowadays, it'd be nice to revive that old area. But then again, I think it will look pretty good in Katanga Kanyon.

Yeh gloomy wood does seem likely, there's so much wasted space there.

Maybe a nice ground hugging intamin could fit there? but it's a worlds first so probably not...

Most rumors now suggest that the flume isn't going now.
After towers Times reported that the flume's boats were having a refurb.

Refurb potentially equating to reTHEME??

*Actual question, I do not know if that is true or not, but hell, I said that when I read those rumour posters that a retheme was the most logical suggestion...

As far as location, I'm thinking (for no real reason, but let's face it nobody else has one) that Alton are more inclined to start using areas with existing development more creatively, rather than opening up whole new sections.

Look at the last few additions:

Spinball - Plonked on the edge of the lawn, so no real thought behind it, but could be removed at any time.
RITA - Arguably an effective use of an existing ride area
Th13teen - A replacement for an old coaster, with a relatively slight encroachment onto new land

I'd say it's quite likely that we'll see land used in a similar way: rather than chopping down **** loads of trees for a completely new area, something will be squeezed into an existing "land". Yeah, there may be a "Th13teen" situation where some new land is used, but it would be kept to a minimum.

A replacement for the log flume makes sense space wise, but it's a hugely popular ride; I don't think it's going anywhere just yet. Something built in the same area though, perhaps even interacting with it? More likely I'd say.

But, and here's where I get shouted down, but whatever:

I wouldn't be surprised to see even more put into the Forbidden Valley area. There's space around/behind Nemesis and Air (queue lines could be easily changed if needs be), including the car parks. Plus it's further away from any residential areas than a lot of the park.

Building in an already highly-developed area (two major, "noisy" coasters there already), in a far corner of the park (as far away from the Ropers as they can get basically) could/should make it easier for planning applications to get approved.

Perhaps they are just going to retheme The Flume to make it part of Mutiny Bay, and the development actually has nothing to do with SW7.

TP Rich said:
Perhaps they are just going to retheme The Flume to make it part of Mutiny Bay, and the development actually has nothing to do with SW7.

joker-sarcastic-clap1.gif

Nemesis Inferno said:
Refurb potentially equating to reTHEME??

*Actual question, I do not know if that is true or not, but hell, I said that when I read those rumour posters that a retheme was the most logical suggestion...

No. I said the boats were just having a Refurb not a whole ride Re theme.

I still can't believe anyone over the age of nine fell for that poster anyway. The fact that a battle galleon was reportedly sailing in from landlocked Switzerland was a little joke. I still think they should put a replica galleon on the lake though, that would look quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.