Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Hahahaha, hahahaha.

Hahahaha.

You absolute moron.

Gee, thanks. I woudn't have minded it that much if you woud have actually told me.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Ian Crabbe, the park's manager - or divisional director or whatever **** title they've bestowed on him, but he is the manager.

Can you post a link to his confirmation of a world's first?

I'm on my phone but Google: Alton towers plans new roller-coaster

It's the first thing that comes up on the This Is Staffirdshire site.

SW7 will be good, I'm sure. AT have realised what an utter failure Th13teen was (marketing wise), so I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice. The minimum height restriction suggests this will be pretty thrilling.

Thirteen has not been a failure in any way apart from failing to satisfy enthusiasts - who are insignificant in terms of income.

^ no, they failed on an epic scale with their terrible overhyping campaign. Claiming a ride is going to be s**t your pants scary and delivering a mehriffic family coaster with barely any thrills at all = failure.

That's like me promising an awesome massive budget SFX film about the end of the world and releasing a short film of a firework failing to explode.

I will reserve judgement on SW7 (if indeed it does become an SW) until I see what happens with the 2012 ride.

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

^ Forgive me, but the ride has been a great success and has undoubtedly achieved what they had hoped it would - which does not include pleasing people on message boards.

Rollercoasters are used as tools of investment designed to bring in hundreds of thousands of guests while retaining others. Thirteen has been a great success. The queues it attracted both last year and this are concrete proof of that. They've even gone to the media saying 2010 was a great year, taking us back to the heights of the Nemesis era etc.

What we think of the ride experience is completely and utterly irrelevant to the ride's level of success.

Forgive me, but you've missed the point. Twice.

FaceYourNemesis said:
utter failure Th13teen was (marketing wise)

I'm not saying the ride is a complete failure, and neither was FaceYourNemesis, we were referring to the marketing campaign they ran. Claiming a ride is going to be terrifying and delivering a thoroughly unterrifying ride constitutes a marketing failure.

The ride is fine for families, for children and yes it may have had the queues I'm not disputing that, but anyone, not just us message board losers, anyone who had seen their adverts for the ride would have been expecting a scary ride, which it quite simply isn't.

It isn't about the ride, it's about the way it is sold. They should not have passed it off as scary (or, arguably, even thrilling) same as they should not pass Nemesis off as a tame ride ideal for children as an introduction to coasters.

(sheesh that was long to type on my phone)

Tom G said:
^ Forgive me, but the ride has been a great success and has undoubtedly achieved what they had hoped it would - which does not include pleasing people on message boards.

Rollercoasters are used as tools of investment designed to bring in hundreds of thousands of guests while retaining others. Thirteen has been a great success. The queues it attracted both last year and this are concrete proof of that. They've even gone to the media saying 2010 was a great year, taking us back to the heights of the Nemesis era etc.

What we think of the ride experience is completely and utterly irrelevant to the ride's level of success.
See, now I've been to Alton with two different groups of non-enthusiast friends. They were all really looking forward to riding Thirteen as they'd seen all the marketing about it being the 'scariest ride in the world' or whatever the **** Alton put out was.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of them got off saying "That was neat, but it wasn't scary. Can we go ride Oblivion again?" or words to that effect. So yes, Alton don't build rides just to entertain us, but they do to try and please everyday park goers, and from my experience... they got it wrong.

Tom - Th13teen has been successful, but only because it was overhyped to the extreme. The problem is that the ride doesn't seem to fit into any category. The enthusiasts aren't exactly excited about it, and families think it's too scary. Don't get me wrong, I love Th13teen, but the disastrous marketing campaigns were never going to do this ride any favours.

Az - I really wouldn't expect anything major from Nemesis: WLB. It will be a modest addition to FV which fits in with the original Nemesis story.

FaceYourNemesis said:
Az - I really wouldn't expect anything major from Nemesis: WLB. It will be a modest addition to FV which fits in with the original Nemesis story.

That is all I'm expecting, and if they do it right it'll be a great fit for the area. What I meant was I'll be interested to see their marketing strategy for this ride, if they again try to make it out to be the scariest thing yet (which does seem to be the case so far worryingly) but the crucial point will be if it delivers or not.

They need to manage their expectations, and if they disappoint again in 2012 they will have a hard time convincing me that their 2013 coaster will be any better.

The thing is, is it really Alton's fault that Thirteen is so dull?

Intamin designed it, and they're the ones who decided to trim it to death and add a second lift...

(Just a thought, thats all...)

^True, but it wouldn't be half as bad if Alton hadn't said it was going to be the "SKARIEEESSTTT RIDE EVAAAAA". I think the actual coaster is OK, what I hate is how poorly and stupidly it's marketed.

If Alton had been honest and marketed it as a family ride (which is what it is) as a replacement for a family ride, then people wouldn't have been taken in by all this ULTIMATE ride marlarkey and I think might even like it...

The trims I can live with tbh, because it's meant to be thrilling for families, and hell even my uni mates really liked it, and it's useful as a middle ground coaster for those unsure on things like Rita, Nemesis, Air and Oblivion... So it IS a good coaster in that regard and as such does deserve a place at the park...

As for 2013, let's see who's building it first... Because that will make the difference...

Did you all go to Alton to ride it?

Yes.

Job done then.

As enthusiasts (and in some examples the GP) you may find the marketing was MASSIVELY over the top, but during construction it built up a brilliant amount of hype that was used effectively to generate interest in the park. Whilst it's fair to argue it hasn't lived up to the hype, it's harsh to say it's a failure given it got each and every one of you to visit the park and give them your money.

For me this has nothing to do with the marketing anymore, its just a poor coaster.

Which is a fair opinion to have. I just disagreed with the view that the marketing had failed, when in fact it served the precise purpose it was intended to do if you look past all the exaggerations.

Th13teen is VERY good in the dark, at the time of year a coaster of its nature and theme is designed for. Consequently, 7 out of 8 months of the season, it's only purpose is to occupy shorter 'thrill-seekers' while the rest of the their group is condemned to Rita.
However, as we've said to death now, it really didn't deliver on the promises we got during its marketing in 2009-10. I was going to say 'it's not a psychoaster' - but as nobody knows what the hell a 'psychoaster' IS, maybe it is - and they're just not especially psychologically trying experiences...
Anyway, it IS to be hoped this mistake's not repeated, and whatever new additions we get in the next few years do exactly what they say on the tin, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.