Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Best pic so far:

TheSmiler.jpg

As you can see it looks like a face so now you know why AT created the logo to look like a smilling face :--D

nadroJ

CF Legend

Urgh, I'll be ANNOYED if this opens when I'm in Scotland, but whatever, can probably catch it on the drive back down haha! Stupid Alton, ruining my plans.

spicy

Giga Poster

I just love that inversion.

Have floorless trains been ruled out on this thing? It would be the most inversions on a floorless coaster, lame record but would make it "world beating".

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

elephant58 said:
Tom G said:
The Nemesis Sub-Terra was depicted with OTSR in graphics also.

Meanwhile, this thing will be sponsored by Lemon Tango.

Which? Sub-Terra or Smiler?

Neither, it was a joke :p

I'm now so looking forward to a repeat of the first 30 pages of this topic with "Eurofighter" replaced with "OTSR" :roll:

As for inversions. When I first heard the rumour for this, I heard 13 inversions. Everything else about that rumour has come true, so I can't see why that shouldn't be true either - given the rumours of the secret element.

16 though? Bit much. Having said that, the entire "I was in a pub with a German bloke" thing is actually true.

The reason I got dragged on to CF was because a friend of mine worked in a bar and got talking to a guy who was installing Rita. The argument at the time was all "it's a B&M", but he was saying, no, this bloke in the pub says it isn't. Obviously, as a n00b you get a rapturous response coming onto CF and saying "my mate who works in a pub got talking to a drunken engineer who said it's Intamin" - but it's actually 100% true and 100% solid source. Sometimes, it just is.

I don't know if anybody was with me at the Alton Towers hotel the year the Sealife opened? I went in Feb and got chatting in the bar to a bunch of Dutch guys who were doing the install of that. I got all kinds of secrets about tank sizes and filtration systems - but I was kicked off AquariumForce for saying "I was in the pub with a bunch of drunken Dutch guys and they told me..." ;)

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Such a shame the trains can't use seatbelts & lapbars only as this would double the ride experience, OHR kills most rides as your upper body is not free.

Iron Shark - Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier (Galveston, Texas, USA)

dg39higcg00546lld4sjp7.jpg

All coasters would be much better if this is done

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

All coasters would be much better with that shark face on them!

bob_3_

Giga Poster

I'm sorry....but wtf is this.

45928_432791263457990_394490448_n.jpg

Worlds first curvy banked brakes =/...or summit.

And then there's this new piece.

399072_432791200124663_615505915_n.jpg

peep

CF Legend

^It's the same piece of track in those two pics. Just from two different angles.

Looks more like a slope than a banked piece of track, trims?

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Oh yeah lol duh.

I get it. hmm wonder where it'll go.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I suspect trims after the second drop going into the cobra roll. The train will be travelling pretty fast at that point and that would make for a painful element...

Maybe?

peep

CF Legend

Easy mistake dude. Hmm, no idea, maybe we'll have a better clue when the game is released next month?

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

I suspect it'll go on one of the big drops, or maybe at the top of the first lift hill to brake after the rumored LSM launch?

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster

Robbie said:
I must admit to skipping a few pages, but surely that image is Promo Art, not Concept Art? Like the stuff that arrived for Swarm this time last year it'll be based on what the train is actually going to look like, even if it's not the exact same train.

By that theory, Stealth has Nemesis Inferno restraints
stealth.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend

TheCoasterCruiser said:
I suspect it'll go on one of the big drops, or maybe at the top of the first lift hill to brake after the rumored LSM launch?
Yes, I do think this could be true. At the top of the first hill. Equally, it could be at one of the smaller airtime hills, too. It does look like a trim of some sorts.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Can somebody tell me how you can see a face in the picture at the top the last page? I can't see it.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

WelcomeToOblivion said:
Robbie said:
I must admit to skipping a few pages, but surely that image is Promo Art, not Concept Art? Like the stuff that arrived for Swarm this time last year it'll be based on what the train is actually going to look like, even if it's not the exact same train.

By that theory, Stealth has Nemesis Inferno restraints
stealth.jpg
Well... no. You see, the public aren't going to go "that's the wrong kind of restraint for the train" but they are going to go "the picture has overhead restraints but the ride doesn't." The promo art is getting the general gist.

Anyway... the screenshots of The Smiler game also have OSTRs so they're going to an awful lot of trouble to get their depiction of their ride repeatedly wrong.

Ethan

Strata Poster

And Extremis at the London Dungeons is shown to have OTSR, but it actually has a lap bar. I personally think Smiler will not have lapbars, but it might have new restraints...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Even that Raptor image is very close to the actual restraints though, with the "wide birth" harness over the arms.

It's not right down to the fine detail, but as Robbie says, at first glance to an untrained eye it's close enough to what will eventually be on the ride to be able to use these early images through the early life of the ride.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

furie said:
16 though? Bit much. Having said that, the entire "I was in a pub with a German bloke" thing is actually true.

The reason I got dragged on to CF was because a friend of mine worked in a bar and got talking to a guy who was installing Rita. The argument at the time was all "it's a B&M", but he was saying, no, this bloke in the pub says it isn't. Obviously, as a n00b you get a rapturous response coming onto CF and saying "my mate who works in a pub got talking to a drunken engineer who said it's Intamin" - but it's actually 100% true and 100% solid source. Sometimes, it just is.

For what it's worth, two men from Gerstlauer were in the hotel bar on the evening of the last day of the season. They told us that "Yes it will have lapbars"..

Whether they were winding us up or not is another question but they definitely said that!

Status
Not open for further replies.