What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Looks vile? Only thing that potentially could be vile is that it's from the same manufacturer as Saw which some people find is torture and others great.

marc

CF Legend

Yes well maybe it was worlds first and beating now it's just worlds first.

Remember even the trains can count as worlds 1st. Could be the worlds 1st euro fighter with no virtical drop. Words first 11 loop coaster with lap bars. Who knows what the worlds 1st is but it's just a lose word these days with coasters :)

Dave

CF Legend

It's like Deja Vu when names are announced...

I like it, it'll stick in your memory like the logo does, if they nail the following advertising with the same strange, vibrant and surreal logo it'll get peoples attention.
Maybe something like how the Oblivion TV advert grab attention with a quick, short, stylized view of the ride without showing too much. That's in a perfect world.

Nic

Strata Poster

They switched from "World beating" to "World's first" in October when they released the details of the train configuration and that.

P.S
On 17/10/12 said:
Apparently they said that the new ride will be very much treated as it's own "brand" which would include releasing "a game".
#justsayin ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

I thought they changed from beating to first when they revoked all knowledge of the 16th of March opening.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

scw55 said:
I thought they changed from beating to first when they revoked all knowledge of the 16th of March opening.

They definitely referenced March and world's first in the same article. They seem to have got rid of the press release in question off their website so you'll have to make do with my post from 26th October 2012:
Nic said:
AT Press Release said:
Alton Towers Resort to launch world first rollercoaster

In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.
http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton ... 2013-11705

Kebab

Giga Poster

"World's first Hypnocoaster - A rollercoaster desiged to hypnotize the riders..."

Definately something I could imagine the Towers saying, I hope they don't though! It's possible, they did it with Th13teen "world's first Psychoaster", which had nothing psycho about it...

davidm

Strata Poster

Not that it matters, but on Alton's homepage it says "Beating"

banner-sw7-itscoming.gif

* - it matters not because its all just PR-spin and you can bend "first" or "beating" to just about anything.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

marc said:
Worlds first 11 loop coaster with lap bars.
Sadly, we can definitely rule this one out, with the graphics on the AT site showing overhead restraints.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Kebab said:
Definitely something I could imagine the Towers saying, I hope they don't though! It's possible, they did it with Th13teen "world's first Psychoaster", which had nothing psycho about it...

I think the pronunciation was meant to be "Psych-oaster" which implied a Psychology element to it. Which there is in a way with a fake drop and then the main one. It just simply didn't live up to that labelling.

It's like calling Oblivion the World' First vertical Drop coaster, and the drop being 1%.

If anything, SW7 should be the Psychoaster because of the Hypnotic theme.

I hope the "world first" is something decent. I don't want them to have to use WERLD THIRST HYPNOGOASTER when they have a self-duelling Coaster. I don't think there are any Self-duelling coasters in reality.

Robbie said:
marc said:
Sadly, we can definitely rule this one out, with the graphics on the AT site showing overhead restraints.

Yes, but apparently the trains are going to be B&M Floorless cars. So it's not concrete evidence any way.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

The phrase "World-beating" only makes sense in the context of "This coaster beats the world". Perhaps it's just a reference to how the pressure on the ground from each support peaks in short bursts as the train flies across the piece of track it's bearing.

Nic

Strata Poster

Robbie said:
marc said:
As explained a couple of pages back, concept art not having lap bars is not grounds to "definitely rule it out" *cough*San Diego Manta*cough* It probably will have OTSRs though, but not because of that image.

marc

CF Legend

Yes I fell for that one as I had never seen concept art work of the coasters mentioned before.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

So I haven't kept up on this but that Smile Inversion pic is just gorgeous. Hope I can ride it within the next few years.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Robbie said:
marc said:
No you can't.

If it were a picture of the actual trains and they were OTSRs then yes it would be confirmed.
But at present that's a B&M train. A stock image.

T0M

Hyper Poster

The Nemesis Sub-Terra was depicted with OTSR in graphics also.

Meanwhile, this thing will be sponsored by Lemon Tango.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Nic said:
Robbie said:
marc said:
As explained a couple of pages back, concept art having not having lap bars is not grounds to "definitely rule it out" *cough*San Diego Manta*cough* It probably will have OTSRs though, but not because of that image.
I must admit to skipping a few pages, but surely that image is Promo Art, not Concept Art? Like the stuff that arrived for Swarm this time last year it'll be based on what the train is actually going to look like, even if it's not the exact same train.

Nic

Strata Poster

Still not necessarily...
On page 206 said:
The concept art for Manta at SeaWorld San Diego shows B&M track with Cheetah Hunt's train. It's my pet hate because its plastered ALL over EVERY sign in the whole of the park and nearby billboards, leaflets, maps, website etc... But there's an example of a coaster with lap bars that was marketed with an image of OTSRs.

I actually do still think that Smiler will turn out to have OTSRs, but not based on the concept art. I hope it is lap bars, but somehow doubt it. As the example above proves, you shouldn't read anything into the actual design of the coaster by looking at concept art.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Tom G said:
The Nemesis Sub-Terra was depicted with OTSR in graphics also.

Meanwhile, this thing will be sponsored by Lemon Tango.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Which? Sub-Terra or Smiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.