Status
Not open for further replies.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Robbie said:
WelcomeToOblivion said:
Robbie said:
I must admit to skipping a few pages, but surely that image is Promo Art, not Concept Art? Like the stuff that arrived for Swarm this time last year it'll be based on what the train is actually going to look like, even if it's not the exact same train.

By that theory, Stealth has Nemesis Inferno restraints
stealth.jpg
Well... no. You see, the public aren't going to go "that's the wrong kind of restraint for the train" but they are going to go "the picture has overhead restraints but the ride doesn't." The promo art is getting the general gist.

Anyway... the screenshots of The Smiler game also have OSTRs so they're going to an awful lot of trouble to get their depiction of their ride repeatedly wrong.

I guess, but it's a completely different train style in the art work. It's 2 seats to a row for starters. I'm not even bothered about restraints, why am I still discussing this?

scw55

Hyper Poster

I think it'd be hilarious if there was an inverting coaster who had seat belts for restraints. I know this if off-topic but I think it would make a lot of potential riders go 'wtf'.

I think the inversion could have inspired the smiley face logo, but it's not a smiley face. No way is it a smiley face. I see more convincing faces in my parent's bedrooms curtains, and they have rose-hip berries for eyes.

I think with promo-art work the GP probably don't care. In less they played any Roller Coaster games (excluding Theme Park series) they won't really be aware different looking track will usually mean different manufacturers which means different trains etc.
They'll see ROLLER COASTER and that's all it is. At least with Alton towers they do shove a distinct theme on each of their major coasters which helps keep them memorable as single entities rather than THAT COASTER. Except for Air, in less you're oblivious to the existence of any other Flying coasters in the world.

We care to a degree because we know things about the industry, so we notice.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

As much as seat belt and lapbar restraints would be awesome, capacity is greatly diminished, as the staff must check both. This is why Gwazi's operations are so painfully slow,especially with lame operators.

Dar

Hyper Poster

This was mocked up by JayTricky over on TowersStreet to help illustrate the face :p
jtricky.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

To the people worried about OTSRs instead of lap bars: if that is the biggest thing you have to worry about with this roller coaster, consider yourself lucky.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^^ That looks NOTHING like a smiley face, no wonder I couldn't see it. I doubt the logo and that inversion have anything in common, at all!

scw55

Hyper Poster

Mock up only reinforces my opinion that the logo was based off/inspired by the element and nothing more.

And, http://railrunnermiranda.deviantart.com/ if you're interesting in Coasters being illustrated as living humanoid creatures elephant58. Very disturbing.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Ethan said:
^^ That looks NOTHING like a smiley face, no wonder I couldn't see it. I doubt the logo and that inversion have anything in common, at all!

Sorry, don't agree. As soon as I saw a recreation of the "Staffordshire Knot", I immediately likened the logo to the inversion(s).

Robbie

Hyper Poster

WelcomeToOblivion said:
I guess, but it's a completely different train style in the art work. It's 2 seats to a row for starters.
They've messed about for the close-up, but the train is clearly four seats across in all the promos.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

I always saw a smile in that element, even if it's different than the mockup one Dar posted.

smiler_zps1dc759d5.jpg

Sorry, but I'm obviously artistically challenged. :p

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ But that just looks like a slashed pair of breasts. I personally don't think it has anything to do with it, the inversion being unrelated to the name. They would play on it more if it was inspired by it.

Martyn B

CF Legend

TheSmiler.jpg

If you look at the height difference between the batwing and cobra roll, I'd say furie is right, there is probably going to be a trim there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I haven't studied the layout at all, so feel free to put this down quickly, but is it possible they're not one after the other in the layout? I thought there was a launch, then one of the interaction points, then the lift hill and the other interaction point - so it wouldn't matter about the height difference. Right?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Ethan said:
^ But that just looks like a slashed pair of breasts. I personally don't think it has anything to do with it, the inversion being unrelated to the name. They would play on it more if it was inspired by it.
I said that I'm artistically challenged :lol: and I do think the inversion is related to the name, or vice versa.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

New picture from the sky!

64629_271496062979877_7759217_n.jpg

And a close up on the covered part.

348rjpk.jpg

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Hixee said:
I thought there was a launch, then one of the interaction points, then the lift hill and the other interaction point

No launches as far as I'm aware...

Martyn B

CF Legend

I haven't studied the layout at all, so feel free to put this down quickly, but is it possible they're not one after the other in the layout? I thought there was a launch, then one of the interaction points, then the lift hill and the other interaction point - so it wouldn't matter about the height difference. Right?

There is a 98ft lift hill, 2 dive loops, the batwing,....,...., 98ft lift hill, roll over (2 sidewinders), cobra roll.

If anything, the second half has less track before the cobra roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.