Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Right, well that confirms my point:
Martyn B said:
If you look at the height difference between the batwing and cobra roll, I'd say furie is right, there is probably going to be a trim there.
I was saying that there is a lift hill separating the batwing and cobra roll, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that there wouldn't be a trim.

And apologies for the launch mistake, I haven't looked at the plans in a while, but I thought there was a shallow hill at the back of the ride that was a launch. I stand corrected.

Ethan

Strata Poster

ECG said:
I said that I'm artistically challenged :lol: and I do think the inversion is related to the name, or vice versa.

Never said it wasn't a beautiful drawing, just doesn't look like a smiley face to me ;) I dunno, I just think the element was designed and it came out awesome and has nothing to do with the name (but that's just me)

Brookes

Giga Poster

^Nah I don't believe they coincidentally designed an element and a logo that look very alike.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ But some of us don't think they look alike, that's my point. It's like when some people see faces in curtains and cushions, and others don't.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

I think you need to let it go Ethan. We get your point, but some of us see it & some don't.
I guess we'll find out for sure at some point as someone is bound to bring it up in one of the many interviews that will take place leading up to or at the opening.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I don't think I need to let it go when other people are bringing up their side of the argument tbh. But I'll agree to disagree.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Well that was 2 and a half pages of uber-goon.

I love those aerial shots in the snow, makes the park look like an ice world on the original RCT.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Seems odd that they'd focus on that bit of trackwork first when basically none of the other work has been done. Reckon it was done so that they had something physical to show for the marketing?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

I imagine because it's built in that 'pit' access would be much harder had it been built after other track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Basically, yeah. It's almost always the case that coasters are constructed in the easiest way possible - they don't care about the marketing. You build the sections that need the biggest cranes, or will be boxed in by the rest of the coaster (making access difficult) first.

Gazza

Giga Poster

furie said:
Even that Raptor image is very close to the actual restraints though, with the "wide birth" harness over the arms.

It's not right down to the fine detail, but as Robbie says, at first glance to an untrained eye it's close enough to what will eventually be on the ride to be able to use these early images through the early life of the ride.
The thing that gets me thinking though is that Gerstlauer lap bars come from overhead anyway.

Nic

Strata Poster

^The 3x2 ones (ie Dare Devil Dive) do, but I'm pretty sure the 2x4 (ie Iron Shark) ones don't

R11EFsfog01g.jpg

R12EFland03g.jpg

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... h-america/

scw55

Hyper Poster

I find incomplete coaster cars/trains very weird. You hear stories of 2 hour queues on rides in some theme parks. And then you get photos of incomplete trains.

Seems to be speculation as to why the aerial photos had a blue box and then the blue box was removed and not much is seen underneath. It's preferable to comments about construction scheduling.

Anyone noticed that with some promo material for the ride, that there's green tints to the yellow text of The Smiler. Noticed the logo had green gradient end but I thought it was as a result of fading the yellow on a black-background.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Lottie. said:
Tomatron said:
I love those aerial shots in the snow

Agreed. I always think the park looks better with the snow :)

Noticed last night that TT have posted a video on YouTube with aerial views of Alton Towers.
Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KioF6u_UY

This could be the new ride for 2014 - Soarin' Over Alton Towers!

That video is making me dizzy watching it because of the blurriness.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Gazza said:
furie said:
Even that Raptor image is very close to the actual restraints though, with the "wide birth" harness over the arms.

It's not right down to the fine detail, but as Robbie says, at first glance to an untrained eye it's close enough to what will eventually be on the ride to be able to use these early images through the early life of the ride.
The thing that gets me thinking though is that Gerstlauer lap bars come from overhead anyway.

It's like the entire "Gerstlauer or not Gerstlauer" argument really. The evidence suggests OTSR, but there's still a chance of lap bars. I'd balance it about 80% that the images are a true "representation" of the look of the cars and 20% that due to the existence of lap bar Eurofighters that it will be those.

It's one of those stupidly unimportant arguments where there really isn't enough definitive evidence to say for sure, just "most likely but could easily be wrong".

Smithy

Strata Poster

Not only does it guarantee another 20 pages of arguments though, but it also means when pictures are taken of the trains another 20 pages of TOLD YOU SO vs MY LOGIC WAS STILL RIGHT are guaranteed

spicy

Giga Poster

My nan just confirmed that this will definitely have OTSRs.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I had a dream last night that confirmed it'll be opened in August.

I seems no one else is noticing that there's green tints on a lot of Smiler material. The colour scheme isn't just Black, Yellow and White.

Status
Not open for further replies.