What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

See, I could tell from those mounds of dirt that this was months behind schedule.

Etc...

http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler/

Websites online now

some of the links don't work, but theres new construction pics and some of the pictures in the game seem to give away some key theming elements of the ride.

Looks like the vertical lift will be the "conversion zone". So maybe the first half of the ride will be the inoculator, then you come off converted!

The wording on that page is going to get loads of people confused e.g The Smiler- the world's first rollercoaster.

The game on that site looks fun as well.

It's going to be a surreal experience riding it whilst there's another train on the track with you. I guess that's the extra thrill of 'Duelling' coasters is that there's a train nearby you can interact with.

I also find it very strange picturing the Coaster with a 4x4 train because we have the 2x3/4x2 trains in our mind. We cannot fathom a 4x4 as there isn't an example.

The Smiler I don't mind as much. The The is silly, but the promo picture actually helps me like it. I don't know... it works. Better name than thirthipsterprenouncingthenumberinthemiddleteen.

I wouldn't say The Smiler and Oblivion conflict negatively. They are contrasts. Oblivion is Fear, whilst Smiler is Joy. There is a subtext to the Oblivion videos that implies the "people who built it" had knowledge of hypnosis and science. Implies heavily the Ministry of Joy 'built' Oblivion and have been acting behind the scenes all these years.

Someone on tower times is saying that this has 16 inversions, one for each rider.

16 bloody hell.

^ Probably all lies! I hope it doesn't have that many.

An another note, about the 'Washing machine element'... If it did happen, surely it might spin over rather than around? It's hard to describe. Basically instead of spinning to the left or right, you spin forwards or backwards (Slammer-esque). That way you could flash the image in the ceiling and the floor? Would be pretty crazy, although I doubt it would happen.

I love the artwork a few pages back. I really don't have anything bad to say so far!

Tower Times has people who constantly meet mysterious and strapping fine Germans in Alton Pubs who bestow trade secretes.
I take most comments on that forum with a pinch of salt. They have a very dedicated to Alton Towers forum users and get excited

16? **** idiots.

My bet is only 11 maximum, if any. We know about 9, if the "washing machine element" is actually going to happen, I can only imagine it inverting twice, simply for the fact of ride duration.

So they've moved from "World Beating" to "World's First" in the promo material then.

I don't know what, if anything, that actually signifies, but I just thought I'd throw it in there.

^I noticed that too Gavin, thought it was a bit strange?

To me, "World Beating" suggested ridiculous numbers of inversions, while "World's First" could be the dueling aspect and/or new element.

16 inversions, blimey! Don't believe that, I'll see it when I believe it.

scw55 said:
I wouldn't say The Smiler and Oblivion conflict negatively. They are contrasts. Oblivion is Fear, whilst Smiler is Joy. There is a subtext to the Oblivion videos that implies the "people who built it" had knowledge of hypnosis and science. Implies heavily the Ministry of Joy 'built' Oblivion and have been acting behind the scenes all these years.

This. I thought it were rumoured that X-Sector was having a slight re-theme/update to bring the existing rides in line with the Ministry of Joy theme?

^I thought it was just a re-paint and general clean up/tidy - nothing to update the theme. I'm probably wrong though.

I go out for one night and the next thing I know B&M is running two coasters backwards and Alton Towers names their coaster the **** ing "Smiler".

This is blatantly going to open on the weekend in May when I go to Scotland </3 So yeah, I guarantee that the opening date will be Saturday 25th ;)

If they have removed the tag-line World Beating, does this mean anything at all? Or am I just making conversation out of something other than the Spider. I mean the Smiler.

Maybe the other inverting coaster is opening before May so now they won't beat the inversion record?

True.

And also I made this as a starting panel in a Drawception game. I'll see if anything interesting follows up as a result.

kRiw3336

^^ They then wouldn't be able to claim the 'worlds first' though.

Status
Not open for further replies.