What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

scw55 said:
I hope the ride does end up having a 4-4-4-4 layout train as opposed to two Eurofighters glued together...
Is it possible to get the train format utterly wrong in promo art like with the restraints?

I don't think the OTSR in the picture means anything. It's surely just a minor detail added to enforce the notion of the ride inverting.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ I think the upside down train enforced that enough...

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
^ I think the upside down train enforced that enough...

I know what I'm trying to say, but can't think how to put it into words easily. The GP will pick up on the restraints and immediately make the connection that this will be an intense upside down experience. Lap bars somehow don't convey that same feeling.

iblamefish

Roller Poster

Just spotted a link to this on Twitter: http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler2

Doesn't look like it's meant to be live yet so I took a screenshot. It'd make sense for it to go live later today though.

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-21%20at%2010.36.35.png

nadroJ

CF Legend

Only just seen the official name of this...are they having a laugh? Especially next to something called Oblivion...just no, sorry.

And I like the logo being slapped everywhere, it's very 12 Monkeys, which I felt The Sanctuary was trying to convey too. I like it :)

Martyn B

CF Legend

Ironically, with this being a Gerstlauer, we *could* be doing anything but smiling....

Whether the story connects or not, it's still a stupid name for a coaster.

Gazza

Giga Poster

I don't think the OTSR in the picture means anything. It's surely just a minor detail added to enforce the notion of the ride inverting.
Clearly it's a B&M and not a Gerstlauer going by the harnesses in the promo image :lol: .
Anyone remember when people were insisting Raptor was going to have lapbars just because that was what was in the image?
Enthusiasts <3

marc

CF Legend

For all we know though they could be a new design that they are now using.

We won't know until we see the trains.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I love that image on the page with the passenger grinning like a maniac!

I think the name works fine.

I'm still going with the logic that it's a misguided correctional facility, perhaps to undo the damage done by Oblivion? But instead, it kinda messes people up in the oposite way, and sends them ecstatically insane. It's still very much a dark theme.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Agreed Joey, and I really like that theme. It just makes me think of The Joker from Batman maybe *slightly* too much, but other than that it's pretty original, especially for a coaster, and it fits with Merlin's love at the moment for the macabre.

I really want to see the 4 by 4 trains too <3

nealbie

CF Legend

The name is fabulous!

I think it a fair notion that after all the bull **** they received for taking Th13teen far too seriously, that they're just poking fun at themselves for this one - a coaster that should actually be rather decent. :p

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster

I quite like the thought of that idea Joey, especially with the no way back story element of Oblivion, goes together quite well.

nadroJ

CF Legend

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg[/youtube]

Anyone?

Nic

Strata Poster

The concept art for Manta at SeaWorld San Diego shows B&M track with Cheetah Hunt's train. It's my pet hate because its plastered ALL over EVERY sign in the whole of the park and nearby billboards, leaflets, maps, website etc... But there's an example of a coaster with lap bars that was marketed with an image of OTSRs.

I actually do still think that Smiler will turn out to have OTSRs, but not based on the concept art. I hope it is lap bars, but somehow doubt it. As the example above proves, you shouldn't read anything into the actual design of the coaster by looking at concept art.

PS. Good call Jordan! I knew the images reminded me of something, but couldn't place it!

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Something tells me that health and safety conscious Brits would just freak out if they saw lap bars on an inverting coaster, I feel like people would be put off by it. May not be the case but it's just my thoughts.

kimahri

CF Legend

I was going to make a comment about the poor name and stuff but that face is going to give me nightmares :C

Gazza

Giga Poster

Some people. I've always said it'll have OTSR. Look at it - it's a mess of winding, upside down track. Laps bars were never going to be an option.
But why though? There's 2 Eurofighters operating with inversions and beyond vertical drops. Why does it matter if its 3 inversions, or 10? The consequences of falling out are the same right?
Why would a lap bar on a 3 inversion ride work, but not on a 10 inversion ride.

What if I rode a 3 inversion ride three times in a row? Its the same as riding the smiler once isn't it?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

According to a Press Release (to do with the sheep reveal), expecting opening month will now be May...

Louis!

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Nic said:
If The Inoculator turns out to be the name of the secret element, than that's kinda cool, I can live with that.

I personally would have said that the giant spider-like theming in the centre is more likely to be The Inoculator. In the designs, i'm pretty sure the end of the legs were pointed - suggesting some sort of machine with needle like attachments.

I don't know, possibly just putting two and two together, just seemed more likely that they'd give the 'monster' in the centre of the ride a name rather than a secret element.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Nemesis Inferno said:
According to a Press Release (to do with the sheep reveal), expecting opening month will now be May...
PANIC STATIONS!

Oh wait, source first, then PANIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.