What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jools

Giga Poster
^ Same, it looks like there is a corkscrew where it weaves in and out of the trees, if you look, it looks aso it could be a double corkscrew!

Kebab

Giga Poster
Gerstlauer bobsled? This type of ride would fit that layout perfectly, and I can see one of these arriving at the park sometime. Unsure of what the "world first" could be though :?

It's not going to be a mega-lite, I can't see this happening in a way.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Lol...

Fair does then...

Tbh I just thought the plans were fake in general not because the ride apparently looked crap from a 2-d perspective...

Should be fun as long as it doesn't have OTSRs...

I can see that they could make Hex and the Towers the other end of this 'new' area... Considering how alike the station looks to the Towers themselves... Rather interested though as to what will happen to RITA retheme wise, surely they're not THAT stupid :p

Peter

Hyper Poster
X said:
The layout looks quiet good, weaves around the trees and I think I can spot three inversions maybe? Think I've got a heartline twise, corkscrew and dive loop maybe??

Doesn't look like any inversions to me. Its made up of Helix's, airtime hills and sharp transitions through the forest, which is why its screaming Intamin Megalite.

I just came across this on Youtube. Some guy has made a recreation in NoLimits based on the plans that we know, and well, I think its spot on (or near enough to get an idea of the layout.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZhHzxKRZf8[/youtube]

What I love about this layout is that its all really low and terrain hugging, meaning that its going to be flying through the elements.

Also, if you look at the South West Elevation of the station building, you can see the hole for the train to enter the break run and also for the switchback, but there is no exit for when the train comes out backwards - so this must be deep underground somewhere.

It also seems that the switchback which turns you from backwards to forwards has an increase in height to get the train back to the station level, since the backwards helix is all below ground level - most probably in a trench.

I really hope that Alton don't announce what goes on inside, or that we don't find out somehow. It would be great going into the station building on the first ride without a clue what is going to happen. :)

Peter

Hyper Poster
^^ Its only a video of the main coaster part of the ride. The break run you see the train entering at the end is the switchback, to start the backwards section - but NoLimits doesn't support those elements so the person who made the video just cut it out.

Its not a tall coaster. The lift is only 20meters, which is shorter that Corkscrew by 2.8m. You're not going to get a great duration out of a ride that only has a 20m lift hill - hopefully the switchbacks will add another 30 seconds or so to the ride time.

A

Anonymous

^ The lift is only 20 meters but the ride will use the terrain to create longer drops.
It was posted somewhere in this thread about a height of 30-40 meters between highest and lowest track section.

Peter

Hyper Poster
^ Yes, but in total there is only a 20m difference between the start and end of the ride. Its great having the extra room below to have a drop of 30m or so, but you've got to leave enough energy to climb back up 10m to the station. :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Which is why I dont think it will be a chain lift, will either be cable or the one they use on other rides thats if its Intermin.

A

Anonymous

^^ For such a short ride that this looks to be then it should be plenty of speed left when you get to the switchback, extra speed lift or not.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
The shorter and faster the better. Speed is not really about how fast it is, but how fast it feels, so if it is low and tree and ground hugging, and over quickly, it feels faster than it is, and all the SW's are short. Oblivion is litteraly a drop, a turn and a brake, and Air and Nemesis are short aswell.

Crow

Mega Poster
I am majorly, majorly disappointed with what I have seen and heard about the new ride. It seems to me that it isn't worthy of being called a SW. I feel that this dosn't seem to be a major development in comparison with the likes of Nemesis, Oblivion and Air. Even Spinballs's track layout seems more interesting.

I am a strong supporter of themeing but I feel that even if this ride has decent amount of scenery it won't take away from the fact of a simple and quite frankly a boring track layout.

The only thing that could make this ride unique or exciting would be to possibly have unique cars.

Alton Towers... BOOOOOO!!! :x :x :x

marc

CF Legend
And the part inside the building which we dont know what it is yet. We dont even know know who is making it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
Wait - did I miss something...?

Furie, isn't that the same layout that we saw posted here a few weeks ago...?

Yes, I hope people have the good manners to apologise :)

coasterchris93 said:
Gerstlauer bobsled? This type of ride would fit that layout perfectly, and I can see one of these arriving at the park sometime. Unsure of what the "world first" could be though :?

It's not going to be a mega-lite, I can't see this happening in a way.

Look at the switch section - it's very long! Much too long to support a small carriage. It's a long train going in there, not a little car - also:

It's likely the inside section has a show when you enter the switch area - a little like Everest. I think looking at all the circumstantial evidence that the switch is going to turn you, then drop you under the station, round in a circle and up to the forward switch outside. It will enter the 'castle' higher than the loading platform level.

To do this, you can only realistically have one car on the track moving at a time (though the switch may be classed as a block, and possibly three). It's still nowhere near enough to give decent capacity on four seat, or even eight seat cars. This has a higher throughput than Rita allegedly...

Jools said:
^ Same, it looks like there is a corkscrew where it weaves in and out of the trees, if you look, it looks aso it could be a double corkscrew!

No, it's just terrain hugging, under the trees and weaving between them. IF it's a mega-lite, it's going to have some superb little pops of airtime. My only worry is that it would be just a little too similar to Rita, but hopefully it'll be less of the harsh ejector and more the better airtime the mega-lites have.

I think the ride section is going to be a mixed bag, a little too short and gimmicky to really satisfy, but I think what's there will be short and sweet - it's all down to how good they can make this switch section inside, and if they pull out all of the stops on theming it well.

My bets are on Mack or Intamin as manufacturers. Vekoma have already done this ride at in Florida, so it takes the world's first edge off it...

Oh yeah, the hydraulics will be used for the switch track section, dropping the track I imagine (see the concept artwork for that survey thing).

Ollie

CF Legend
So is the first bit of switch track the same level as the station?
If so then I can see a 'dummy' station being made to make you think the ride has finished when it hasn't.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ollie said:
So is the first bit of switch track the same level as the station?
If so then I can see a 'dummy' station being made to make you think the ride has finished when it hasn't.

I like that :) sounds cool.

If they can pull the theming off then it should be a really good experience, plus I can't wait for the "world's first" part whatever that is. (I hope they don't tell us/we find out, because I think it would make a really nice surprise!)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie, I think the first switch is higher than the loading platform, so it can drop backwards out and down and to the platform level.

Most of the ride is terrain hugging with quite low hills, so there's gonig to be a lot of momentum left as it enters that area to be switched.

And YES, I think it will look like the ride has ended, but I'm happy for the insides to remain a surprise when I ride it on opening day :)

Ollie

CF Legend
UC the reason people weren't believing the first plans were because Alton are know to post fake projects to distract the enthusiasts (remember the baby coaster?). So I think it was more that they wanted a bit more than a picture before they were certain that it was genuine. It's like a friend telling you that your partner is cheating on you. You'd have to wait until you can get more from just one person before you can be sure. (That's probably not the best example, but is for me at this time of night :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.