Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So... confirmation?

Nice!

Actually, I don't know how this is nice, for every advantage, there are tons of disadvantages (shutting up the critics/whining fanboys), but it still is!

nealbie

CF Legend
So it's a proper coaster then (if the plans aren't rejected that is :lol: ), I will reserve my judgement as to whether it is good or not when it is done, etc.

aly

Mega Poster
furie said:
It's been pushed as a new thrill, a world's first which will put Alton Towers back on the map.

Out with an Iconic roller coaster, and in with an even more iconic queue line.

Really, what Russell was dying to say twas - ITS A QUEUE! lol :wink:

davidm

Strata Poster
Now someone with more time (and inclination) than me can take a couple of those pink squiggles (since there are at least 2 from different side-on angles), mess about in a bit of CAD and come up with a 3d model!

Amazing what a visit to the North Staffs planning office will get you isn't it.

nealbie

CF Legend
aly said:
furie said:
It's been pushed as a new thrill, a world's first which will put Alton Towers back on the map.

Out with an Iconic roller coaster, and in with an even more iconic queue line.

Really, what Russell was dying to say twas - ITS A QUEUE! lol :wink:

indeed.... during the interviews he was probably thinking somewhere along the lines of - "Yes we're knocking down the Corkscrew to make room for the queueline of our new coaster in 2010."

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Looking at those pics, it looks like it could be an Intamin, the hills look similar to the ones on Rita, especially in the second to last picture. The track looks very low, so we could be looking at a very fast paced ride.

marc

CF Legend
One of them new Intamin coasters a small air time one by looks of it.

Worlds first one with a backwards section, the public will fall for that as a worlds first we wont though.

Tbh its to much like Rita without the launch if they do that, they may as well just add track to Rita and improve the layout.

I imagine what ever it is will have a lift hill like the one on California Screaming so its silent, I think they use magnets or something like that and no I dont mean the launch section.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt Intamin ever would make anything with switchbacks. It's not in their catalogue, and they have a relatively solid business in making "traditional" coasters, as in "after the train somehow has gotten enough speed, it all about track". If people order anything from Intamin, they'll most likely get the traditional "get speed" section (launch or lift), followed by track, then brakes. No mid-ride gimmicks.

And B&M won't even make launches. I can't imagine them putting together a switchback. Not now.

My bet is Mack or Vekoma, or perhaps S&S.

Worst case scenario:
The Alton executives have designed the ride themselves (on NL), ordered track, theme and construction for £4 mill, and the last £8 mill is budgeted to be fixing design flaws and maintainance the coming three years. Basically, what SFMM would have done if they could see the future, but were forced to install X.

marc

CF Legend
Thats the problem at the moment so many companies are using the same track type, this could still be a Eurofighter as the airtime hill on Saw even looks like one Intamin would build.

One thing though its not a woodie by looks of it.

Peter

Hyper Poster
I came across this on Towers Times the other day, posted by "Big Dave" a few weeks ago.

Known Plans:

planning.png

Rumoured Plans:

30jkytx.png

Whilst its based on that "plan" from the ECC (and is nothing new) its a nice rendering of it and makes it clear where things should fit in relation to the other rides in the area. The plans posted on the last page fit this design, so I'm really beginning to think that this is what we're going to see, unless Alton are leading us on a wild goose chase. :p

Also a quote from Dan at Alton Towers Almanac:

Just to put the rumours to bed, I've seen a copy of the plans and they match the ECC drawing.

There are a few extra bits and bobs to mention;

* The station building has two levels (ground floor and first floor), but part of the ride passes below the station at what would be basement level.

* The ride will have a capacity exactly the same as Corkscrew (1200pph).

* In terms of scale, the lift hill, station and final helix take up the area previously used by Corkscrew, all of the remaining ride area is on newly freed up land through woodland etc. The lift hill is about 2m shorter than Corkscrew's, but the overall level differences are about 5-7m greater than Corkscrew due to the valley sloping away and the underground/trenched section.

* The track will be painted brown.

* The theme seems to be haunted type (dark forest perhaps?) as the entrance gates to the queue line are similarly themed to aspects of Haunted Hollow.

I'll also try to describe how the ride layout goes:

The train exits the station at approximately ground level, ascends the lift hill, then descends the main drop. It enters the helix before going into an airtime hill, and then passes out into the woodland with a series of overbanked turns and airtime hills.

The train then returns to the station at first floor level, something happens within the station whereby the coaster enters forwards at the high first floor level but exits backwards from a tunnel at underground/basement level (approx 10 – 15m level difference), then passes through a 3m deep trench in a helix which rises back up to ground level. It then enters a switchback in order to pass into the station forwards again.

I also believe that the ECC layout is incorrect within the building, and that something much more interesting happens in there...

It does sound quite interesting, especially the bit where the switchtrack seems to drop the train by a few floors, which could be our worlds first element that we've been looking for, as so far nothing seems to fit that. How about a drop tower part on a rollercoaster, or some sort of backwards tilt section. :lol:

As for manufacturer, I think we can rule out B&M, as I can't see them wanting to try switch track or anything else fancy like that. I'd put my money on Vekoma, but who knows.

Dave

CF Legend
If its Intamin I bet it'll use a maverick-esque lift, as small space and the extra speed from the lift would give the ride more speed overall.

marc

CF Legend
I can not see this drop thing somehow, the train/track would bounce and this would cause damage to the trains.

Swat

Hyper Poster
Peter said:
As for manufacturer, I think we can rule out B&M, as I can't see them wanting to try switch track or anything else fancy like that. I'd put my money on Vekoma, but who knows.
I'd Put money on all of this being crap.

kimahri

CF Legend
I quote my self a couple of seconds ago

Me said:
Kimahri キマリ=ロンゾ, Panzer Dragoon Orta says (02:18):
this is
so
random

Kimahri キマリ=ロンゾ, Panzer Dragoon Orta says (02:19):
i dont know what to think

:|

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I am now convinced its an Intamin of some description. The elements look very 'Intamin-esque', apart from the switchtrack and whatever it is that changes direction and height in the indoor section.

Status
Not open for further replies.