What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
This drawing is basically the equivalent of me coming back from the Louvre and drawing a stick man, adding a lopsided smile and a pair of boobs and saying "look, this is the Mona Lisa".

In effect, it's a concept which might have some underlying similarities, but until you've seen the real thing, it's vague enough to be meaningless.

Lofty

CF Legend
I know what you mean Stone Cold, its a fairly terrible drawing!

I just want to know, why has the member of the ECC actualy been given these layouts plans etc. I mean in all honesty how's he different from any other Enthusiast?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
He is different because he thinks he can pass off a line drawing as the plan for a £12 million ride.

In other words, he thinks we are not very bright, or he himself is not very bright. Or both...

It's a bad drawing, and if they are to be believed about the first switchtrack and indoor section being different, then the drawing is wrong anyway. If it turns out to be similar to the real thing then fine, but I doubt it.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
You guys are very hard to please. It's 1 and a half years before this coaster should open and you're all dissapointed at getting a birds-eye-view plan of the ride. Or supposedly a plan of the ride. If this person got shown the real plan of the ride, do you think he would be able to create a 3-D rendering of the ride, just from memory? I wouldn't.
You cannot question the genuinity of the drawing by it's quality. There are many more other aspects that need to be considered. Alton Towers wouldn't release a 3-D rendering of the ride 1 and a half years before opening. Especially if you want to keep the details quiet.
I am not saying that this plan is correct or not, I'm saying that you're not judging the drawing fairly.
The above could also be said for those who discard the plan as they don't like it :wink: .

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
#pmbo said:
You guys are very hard to please. It's 1 and a half years before this coaster should open and you're all dissapointed at getting a birds-eye-view plan of the ride. Or supposedly a plan of the ride. If this person got shown the real plan of the ride, do you think he would be able to create a 3-D rendering of the ride, just from memory? I wouldn't.
You cannot question the genuinity of the drawing by it's quality. There are many more other aspects that need to be considered. Alton Towers wouldn't release a 3-D rendering of the ride 1 and a half years before opening. Especially if you want to keep the details quiet.
I am not saying that this plan is correct or not, I'm saying that you're not judging the drawing fairly.
The above could also be said for those who discard the plan as they don't like it :wink: .

We aren't very hard to please, I think our demands for a 500ft launched woodie that cross the valley 6 times are quite clear and entirely reasonable :)

And you are quite right in saying that the quality of the drawing is not a reflection upon it's accuracy. However, at the same time, the very process of recreating a drawing you've only seen once is not easy, there is likely to be some inherent forgetfulness. When I think back to some of the rides I ride all the time (Grand National, AIR, Nemesis Inferno, Velocity etc) I'd have a hard time sketching them accurately.

Secondly, I understand that any indoor section doesn't need planning permission as long as the building itself has planning permission. Therefore, there is no reason to think that any indoor section is accurate, as Alton Towers can make up what they like for these sections.

Similar to this, if part of the ride lies within the general development area (the part which doesn't need planning permission) then perhaps they are keeping that part secret and putting out a modified plan which only shows the part of the ride that would need planning permission.

These are just some of the reasons to be sceptical about these plans, which may or may not be accurate. And whilst the artist may be able to produce beautiful 3D rendered plans (he still did a better drawing than I could manage), there is no reason for him not to have given out more information, even if he can't reveal his exact source.

Mike T

Mega Poster
I just feel like a lot of you are hanging on so damn tightly to the things you wish this ride would be, rather than accepting what really might come about with it. If I showed everybody a picture of some of the best coaster layouts from a birds eye view - you'd probably not think so much about them. It's the natures beast.

In regards to what was posted, I think it seems perfectly do-able, and whether its right or wrong is up in the air at this point. The only things you can do to make decisions for yourselves - as previously posted - are to look at the source of the information (which has been proven accurate) and what Alton has filed within the city.

As for the drawing itself, I think it looks great. There's definitely a lot of nice curves thrown in there, and from the looks if it, it'll have some very unique features. I don't know about all of you, but I'd be pretty happy myself if the Alton team built anything here in the states. Their attractions are supreme.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Well whatever they are doing for next year they are keeping it under wraps. I went to the New Year shin dig and instead of having part of the park open for us, they bought the carosel, frog hopper, driving school and kids ugland fliers things roundabout to the the carpark right next to the monorail entrance.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
#pmbo said:
. Alton Towers wouldn't release a 3-D rendering of the ride 1 and a half years before opening. Especially if you want to keep the details quiet.

It will be complete within 12 months time (track wise) - I would expect they have a damn good idea of what they're doing, and 3-D modelling and full conceptual art will be available... Somewhere...

The problem with the diagream presented so far is the image and machinations put into place so far.

It's been pushed as a new thrill ride, a world's first which will put Alton Towers back on the map - just what about this new coaster really does any of that. There's positive spin, then there's a serious amount of bollocks. It will take a lot for the Alton marketing machine to take a simple backwards mine coaster and convince the UK it's something seriously unique, thrilling and incredible...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
What have I missed, someone has supposedly seen plans for the new coaster and has drawn what they thought they saw from memory and now everyone's discussing how real or not it is?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Basically.

I've given up to be honest, why can't people just wait.

Go look at a real construction topic, they're far more interesting.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
These topics are great if you check them regually... They are just a confusing muddle if you come back from being a busy bee doing other things.

And I'm afraid I don't not agree with your logic Hixee, since you're here... looking at this topic, you can't have given up.

Unless you saw I'd posted and knew it would make the topic worthwhile. That's good logic.

I wasn't expecting anything outstanding to go in Corkscrew's replacement. I was just hoping.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^As in, I've given up hypothesising. I was only really posting to "try" and help.

I'm reading, but only to check I'm not missing something.

Mind you, something real is posted and I'm sure I'll guess that's what has happened by the size of the topic. :p

Joey said:
I wasn't expecting anything outstanding to go in Corkscrew's replacement. I was just hoping.
Yup. Agree with that.

nealbie

CF Legend
But unfortunately for us, Alton have gone all "family orientated" so we're not likely to get a decent coaster :(

Mike

Giga Poster
SchumacherFerrari said:
But unfortunately for us, Alton have gone all "family orientated" so we're not likely to get a decent coaster :(

Some of the best coasters in the world are family coasters though!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Thanks a lot, Mike. You gave me quite an idea.

Have a look at this drawing once more:

layout01.jpg

Then look at this:

2677055602_a916a12b75.jpg

Similiar? No? Yes? Anyways, I think there may be many similarities, and this layout has the potential to be awesome.

nealbie

CF Legend
SchumacherFerrari said:
so we're not likely to get a decent coaster :(

Mike said:
Some of the best coasters in the world are family coasters though!

Emphasis on the some, which brings me back to my original point of not being likely to get a decent coaster. Doesn't mean that it is a 100% probability to be a crap ride :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.