Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Thanks.

Not sure I believe it either to be honest.

Kebab

Giga Poster
furie said:
So, on the plans... What's world's first?

Backwards launch? Woohoo! :lol:

Been there done that . :)
I'm not believing a thing until Alton confirms further information.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Rofl.

If that turns out to be a SW, I'll piss my pants in laughter at just how lame it is. Shorter than Rita? Deary me. I pray to god this is a fake.

coastermac

Roller Poster
To be honest, this is not even worth discussing. It's quite obviously fake, theres nothing real about it. Although I am getting slight hints of maverick in it, also in the description. It could be to fit in with Rita's track? Going along with the complete re-theme idea.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Looks like you lot have a lot apologising to do...!

It's Real see the outline planning area that is on the local planning site.

Seems to fit like a glove...

More details soon

P

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Erm...apologising to who exactly?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^^Reasons...? Backup?

As for "Fit like a glove"... Any idiot with PhotoShop can copy the outline from the planning apps and make it look like a coaster track. The Internet is stuffed with people who can make a somewhat real-looking "layout plan" for any park in five minutes, especially when it is as vague as this.

I'm with Ian here. Until the park announces something, all we have is rumours.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As I said a few pages ago, I'd trust the ECC over most enthusiast clubs, but official confirmation is truth.

coastermac

Roller Poster
I see what your getting at, but just because it's the best doesn't mean its GOOD. If we had **** all and i proved that I didn't wear underwear, we wouldn't just accept that plan. I think we should at least wait for something official.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
UC said:
I still don't see what the issue with accepting this for now.

It's the ONLY thing that has any kind of backup to it - even if that backup is just the fact that it's been posted to a rather reputable club's site.

Again, I challenge someone to come up with something that has more evidence.

Yes, because I believe at this point in time, the plan should be supported, because it is currently the STRONGEST rumor out there.

Just because it's the best piece of evidence out there, that's not a reason to support it, what if ECC had posted a Go-Gator just for a laugh, should it be supported because there's nothing better or more reputable to go on? The plan should be supported or denied on it's own merit, and not because nothing else is better.

There is in fact, a direct analogy to a very weak religious argument, science can't explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.

I haven't a clue what is coming to AT for 2010, but I'm not going to assume this is correct just because it's first, I'm going to use objective judgement, which may or may not lead me to conclude that it is accurate or a fake.

Ollie

CF Legend
I disagree completely with UC but don't want to waste my time writing an argument only to get a 6000 word essay in return.

Mike

Giga Poster
The picture of the "layout" looks more like something somebody's quickly drawn on Paint.

Again, when someone gives me a good reason to say this is fake, I'll be all for that side

Just out of curiosity, have you actually got any evidence whatsoever that this is actually real?
Has anybody got evidence that this is real?

Mike

Giga Poster
Wait... Was that a no?
So shuddup then!

it's the fact that if my viewpoint is correct, people have to accept reality
So if your viewpoint is wrong, people have to accept fantasy?
So, in essence, you are saying that your views are NEVER wrong?

Errr... yeah... :roll:

(cue 500 line essay about why his viewpoints are always actually correct, using a viewpoint and quote from me made at least 3 months ago)

Mike

Giga Poster
Harvey said:
quote from me made at least 3 months ago

I think you are doing yourself far too much justice, no one cares about you enough to dig that deeply.

That is a FACT.

If he was trying to put a point across, UC would do that though, for ANYBODY. :wink:

Harvey

Hyper Poster
My quotes from yearsd ago are all amngry, I'm, nice guy now, like, mellow, and like.

Help i cant asee cery good,/

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Drunken posts eh Harvey, that could end in tears...

Nevertheless, UC, you should assert some very good evidence that it is likely to be true before proclaiming it is. You've come up with a few reasonable arguments, but these have been overwhelmed by your almost fanatical relish in dashing the expectations of other users. No serious member has suggested launched woodies are likely (just that the concept is plausible - which it is) but you seem adamant that these plans are real (which is debatable) as opposed to whether or not these plans are plausible (which is clearly the case).

So, you need to ask yourself:

Is this design consistent with known facts?

Well, it shows a coaster layout, and the indoor switchbacks, which are not unique, certainly allow plenty of potential, as well as the fact that the trains are not revealed yet, allows for the world first concept to be realised.

The short length suggests it might not be particularly thrilling, but the indoor section could heighten the potential thrill. Besides, "thrilling" is a very subjective measure that's hard to judge.

All in all, this means that this ride could be built as shown, not contradict anything that has been said, and still be a hit with the general public (the latter two being Alton's aim).

Regardless of this though, anyone creating fake plans would realise the above, and create plans that were plausible. Therefore, plausibility does not equate to likelihood. Likelihood is dependent on the circumstances from which the source originated.

Why would Alton Release plans this early, and why to the ECC?

Planning permission will be (or not as the case may be) granted in March as confirmed by Alton's MD in a radio interview last month. Thus I'd be surprised by any official plans released before then in case permission is not granted.

Also, there is a question as to where these plans have come from. Are we to believe that ECC just happened to be in the area on the off season and these plans just fell into their lap? Perhaps Alton e-mailed them over, but then I'd expect a better drawing from Alton, who have a £12m investment to show off!

Furthermore, I'm surprised Alton Towers allowed ECC to see their plans, I would have thought that RCCGB or one of the dedicated Alton Towers websites would have been a more appropriate release platform, rather than a slightly archaic (if well repsected) club, which has had no previous affiliation with Alton Towers.

If publicity is the aim, then why not send out the plans to multiple sites? I'm sure that someone from Towers Times would have been interested in these plans, same for all the other coaster groups that attended Corkscrew's last day.

Regardless, the overwhleming need is surely for Alton to have confirmed plans before bleating about them, they would look very stupid if these plans were rejected...

Alton have a history false plans, could this be one?

Speaking of confirmed plans, we've all seen grand designs of rides that never have and were never intended to make the light of day at the towers. I would be disappointed if Alton didn't try and throw us off the scent somewhere along the line.

There is definitely merit in not believing anything that isn't officially confirmed by the Towers, and whilst genuine information does often leak out before an announcement, it doesn't normally leak out this early.

However, this all assumes that Alton released these. There is very little narrative on the ECC website, just a picture concerning the ride is all I could see. No further explanation of whether these plans are leaked from staff, from the council planning office, from hearsay or just idle speculation. I'd like to know how the originator of these plans came up with the design; until then these plans could be anything, not least an idea of what certain parts of the ride are like. But enough so that ECC can claim they had the correct plans as the (otherwise completely different) ride might end in a reverse helix between two switchbacks.

What are the motives for posting this picture?

The ECC is a very highly regarded name, but that doesn't mean that they are above suspicion or that they might tarnish their name accidentally. These plans would be a great way to increase traffic to their site, and to potentially increase subscriptions to first drop magazine, which is a significant source of revenue, even to an obstensibly not-for profit site. It certainly seems poor form to stick a plan up without any explanation and then claim that half their website is down...

So in summary, the ride is plausible, but if it was a hoax, and a good hoax, it would be necessary that it is plausible that the design is correct. The niggling doubt arises from the fact that the plans have been published without any narrative or explanation of the source, thus leading to doubt about the validity that the plans have come from a close source to Alton Towers, or from Alton Towers themselves.

Smithy

Strata Poster
What Stone Cold said.

I swear I saw Furie say beforehand that Alton are known for telling porkies and releasing false information. Why on Earth would they release such clear information about the ride way before it's to be constructed, let alone to such a high profile enthusiast site. I bet they're probably sat reading this laughing at how some people believed it, and others got angry when they saw it.

When we get official word, that's when I'll give it some credibility.

Oh, and lay off Mike? You may not like him, but being a bunch of bullying pricks isn't really the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.