What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
trav said:
bezzzzzer said:
That plan seems awesome, like you said Ian, this really is approaching a Disney-esque style resort. I mean, you look at Hong Kong Disneyland, and Alton Towers excels so much for the British as what Hong Kong Disneyland does for the Chinese. It is the Disney of the UK. Pure escapism.

I can't tell if here, you're trying to say that Alton Towers is up to the standards of Hong Kong Disneyland, as in, it's on the level of the worst of the Disneylands, or if you just chose the wrong Disneyland to use as an example.

Personally, I don't think Alton is anywhere near Disney standards. In anything. Yeah, they're a "resort" now...but what have they got compared to Disney? One park, one water park, and two mediocre hotels. As far as I'm aware, most of the Disney resorts have at least two parks, a water park, and big, luxury hotels.

It could be seen as the English Disney, but that's not really saying much.

I couldn't agree more!

Even on a park for park standard, AT would have a lot and I mean a massive lot of work to do to match disney just on theme standards alone! At present AT isn't a scratch on the themes and stories that Disney tell.

Then you have the ultimate advantage. Disney holds numerous characters that everyone is aware of and have an invested interest in, characters of our childhood and all that sort of thing. So this strengthens all the stories, themes and general atmosphere of the parks. Something again that AT will NEVER attain, not unless they intend on creating stand out characters that are used across the media and so on.

So no, I don't think AT will ever quite be on that standard.

They, on the other hand, will be a very strongly themed park that could easily match places like Phantasialand!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
What I was trying to imply was that, to the British people Alton Towers is the pure escapism factor. It's the best resort in the country in the opinion of many, then I linked that to Disney by meaning, whichever country of which there is a Disney park, that would be considered the 'pure escapism factor', and be at the top of the leauge in that country. Thus, Alton Towers is the UKs 'Disney'-esque park, in the sense that it is much more than a theme park. It's a resort destination on par to nothing in it's region. Just my opinion of course, but that was really what I was trying to imply.

Then I used Hong Kong Disneyland as an example to prove a point of Alton Towers, as a park, excelling a Disney park of somekind, suggesting that if Alton Towers and Hong Kong Disneyland were right next to each other, Alton Towers would be the most popular, thus proving better than a Disney park. Sure, it looks the worst Disney park in the world, but my point was really based around 'Alton Towers is the Disney-esque resort of the UK' more than anything.

But the main sentence was "It's the Disney of the UK", which in my eyes it is. Going to the Disney parks in America is just indescribable, but Alton Towers is the only place in the UK that can recreate the smallest of glimpses of what that feels like, but it's still awesome. I just think it has so much more heart than any other parks in the UK.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

However, that being the previous post, I agree with you Mark, saying that Disney has the characters and more than what most parks have before you even start considering the actual park itself. Disney just has this feeling that nowhere else will ever be able to give. It's just......magic I suppose!

But I reckon what UC said is pretty much it, relating Alton Towers to Cedar Point. When we went they were so shocked to see British people, I can imagine Alton Towers having a similar reaction when Americans come and stay there (presuming there's been some). I don't think I've seen many guests at Alton other than British peeps.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I think that they will need the old 'relief road' then if they're going to expand the resort part of the place...

Increasing the capacity will just mean more traffic through the villages, and since those roads are incredibly windy and narrow, the relief road will be the best thing to come of this...

But Merlin rejected it... I reckon because they don't want to pay for all of it, and want the council to foot some of the bill...

It could work with careful planning near the Travelodge/McDonalds roundabout area...

10 year plan sounds interesting, but what happened to Thorpe's MTDP? :p

Kebab

Giga Poster
A short crappy layout :lol:

I'm unsure on what type it is; but from most of the rumours released recently about this, it looks hardly reliable.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
If those are the plans, they haven't drawn them very well have Alton...

And considering how able they were with keeping Oblivion/Nemesis quiet, I think they'll be more than capable here... I very much doubt the plans will be being sent from department to department so that they are easy to nab from outsiders somehow...

Hence, I call bull on these plans...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Switchbacks? Yeah, that would fit with "world's first, if I'm not mistaken. Arrow has the technology to do it too (see their pipeline coasters).

If this happens to be true, I sense lots of disappointed posts in the time to come.

marc

CF Legend
Arrow are no longer around though.

I also think these are fake and I still think the coaster will use a lot more of Ug Land than the corkscrew did.

marc

CF Legend
I would wait until the plans are shown tbh, after all Thorpe were meant to get a Flyer and ended up with a Eurofighter.

The only people who know what Alton are getting is Alton and the builders and of course Merlin.

Jools

Giga Poster
I'm imaging the flat bits to be where air time hills are :? If this is real I mean, it could be a eurofighter with a forwards and backwards drop cool)

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Wouldn't get too excited, they had a Booster Bike layout leaked a few years ago too, which turned out to be tosh, as we got Rita. The drawing was considerably more detailed than that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.