What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
^I doupt that's going to happen, because the one at flamingo land is only 3 years younger than Altons so the maintainance costs will still the round about the same. The semi-lock thing, I don't think that'd work, becuase if AT release what they're building while this thread's locked, then there's gonna be loads of threads created for it, instead of it just being annouced here.

-CA

Million Dollar

Roller Poster
I think this topic (as well as the SAW construction topic) should be semilocked, and only open on certain times during the day. 1-2 PM GMT for instance. Any attempts to add another post remarking how this topic is fifty pages of excrements should lead to an error message telling you that the topic is locked for now, will open at a set time, but any breaking news can be posted by the mods on request (say, if you PM them the link).

Rather then locking the topics, what about a sub topic for all the random discussion and a main topic for just updates?? If you just want to keep up to date with construction you can go into the main topic if you want to get involved with all the chat then you can use the sub forum. Just a suggestion, what do you think??

MD

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Currently this topic is all rumours, fantasy and spam. Until we start hearing some more concrete rumblings from Alton Towers, there will be no construction topic.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
I think this topic (as well as the SAW construction topic) should be semilocked, and only open on certain times during the day. 1-2 PM GMT for instance.

No.

Pokemaniac said:
Any attempts to add another post remarking how this topic is fifty pages of excrements..blah blah

We were discussing the possibilities for the new attraction.
Might I suggest that if you don't like,- don't read. :wink:

#pmbo

Roller Poster
slayed said:
it also states than an Environmental Impact Assessment is *not* required, so I suspect they're not planning any major changes to the woodland or the terrain.
Exactly! That's what i'm saying! doesn't the planning permission confirm that they are not using the valley (or they would have to take trees down), thus not buiding the cross valley wooden coaster? even though the SW6 title already confirms that. Which is what i was saying to 'spicy' in my last post.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
AstroDan from TTF said:
The Sentinal (North Staffordshire daily paper) has today printed the following article regarding the 10-year future of Alton Towers:

MILLIONS of pounds is to be invested in Alton Towers – despite the axe falling on plans for a £15 million relief road.

The cash, from parent company Merlin Entertainments Group, has made it possible for the Moorlands attraction to draft a 10-year plan shaping the future of the theme park for the first time for years.

The blueprint includes the creation of more accommodation and further attractions and the extension of the season.

Although a privately funded relief road was ruled out earlier this week, options will also be explored to ease congestion on the surrounding lanes.
The first major investment is expected to be a new £12 million ride to replace the Corkscrew.

The plan is part of the theme park's strategy to encourage visitors to stay longer.

This is expected to have spin-off benefits for bed-and-breakfasts and other tourist attractions in the area.

The announcement has been welcomed by community leaders as good news for jobs and prosperity at a time of economic gloom.

Mark Kerrigan, head of development at Alton Towers, said: "This is the first time in many years that we have been able to plan so far ahead. We are now part of the Merlin Entertainments Group which has made a long-term commitment to us.

"Alton Towers plays a very significant role in the local economy – as is clear from our most recent economic impact report – and as such having a long-term vision is very good news for the whole area.

"Without investment, we would very quickly lose market share and the potential consequences could be nothing short of catastrophic for this region.
"Since the acquisition by Merlin two years ago, we have begun to reposition the resort as a family destination rather than a day trip."

Councillor John Wakefield, county cabinet member for economic regeneration and sustainable communities, said Alton Towers was an essential part of the local and regional tourism economy.

He said: "The 10 -year plan is good news, with a strong commitment to deliver extra investment which will have significant benefits to the local and regional economy and jobs."

Tony Moult, chairman of Alton Parish Council, said he was disappointed the relief road would not be going ahead after years of campaigning.

He added: "£15 million is a lot to have spent on a road. They could probably build another ride with that amount to replace The Corkscrew.

"People do come into Alton and visit pubs. Alton Towers does help trade in the village."

Thanks to TT:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 58#p429858

Superb news they actually have a ten year plan. First time ever I think! That means no more ad hoc ****e like Rita and Spinball, everything is set out in a decent enough plan - fingers crossed it's a good plan :)

marc

CF Legend
Yes its good news, just wonder though how a few local people will feel about the longer season?

I also wonder as they are helping bring better things to the area that they might be allowed to do what Thorpe got permission for, and this is to build one ride above the height limit?

Slash

Giga Poster
I just thought if the new Alton planning application for 2010 (expected to be the new ride) is the new ride. Imagine if they didn't get it. That would be hilarious :lol: but dissapointing at the same time.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
As long as the Ropers live they will never build a ride through the valley or above tree hight.

I think we all know what Alton need to do. It invoves hitmen, and guns. The rest will write itself...

Jokes aside, they wont get one through the valley or above tree hight, and do we really want that?

The thing about Alton is how they cramb the rides in under the tree line, so if the limit is removed, there will never be another Nemesis or Oblivion, the rides will all be placed on flat and level ground with no creativity.

Mike

Giga Poster
the rides will all be placed on flat and level ground with no creativity.

Next time I go to Alton, can someone please point out to me where this "flat and level ground" is??? :?

In my opinion, a 10 year plan is hardly going to do much. I mean, pretty much anything whatsoever can happen in the next 10 years which could blow all of their plans out the water anyway. :-/

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
AstroDan on the TowersTimes Forum said:
The blueprint includes the creation of more accommodation and further attractions and the extension of the season.

Alton Towers has added nothing since Rita that has really grabbed the attention and imagination of high-adrenaline thrill seekers, whereas they've excelled in the family market proved by the need for yet more accommodation, even though they already have (estimated guess) 250 hotel rooms at their disposal.

It's mind-boggling really. The park has some of the country's best high-octane coasters, plenty of quality family attractions for young & old and an unrivaled, picturesque setting.

Alton Towers is big now, it could go Disney in a few years.

I don't mind if Alton Towers keep adding rides suitable for all, as long as they add some for those over 1.4 meters tall that would like something with a bit of a bite.

"Further attractions" could mean "more of the same".

I know there's the new coaster in 2010 and, please excuse my ignorance if I've missed something, I'm assuming it's a 1.4m+ one?

Jake

Strata Poster
It's clever of them to invest heavily during a recession. They'll get away with more, because they can play the 'but we're helping the economy' card. It'll also be cheaper to build due to the construction companies being desperate for work. Then by the time it's all ready the recession is over and everyone wants a weekend away!

Erm... yeah. They still need to sort out the Black Hole tent though (unless they have and i'm making a tit out of myself) :).

marc

CF Legend
The tent is not sorted out yet, its still empty.

The recession is actually helping all UK attractions and people are not leaving the country, even places like Southend have been packed this summer. At the moment the pound is so weak and if stays that way even less people will go away next year. So places like Alton that can offer the complete package will do well.

Just a shame they ca not get a new ride for next year. Maybe the Sea Life thing will get more people in.

Just a thought and this should probably go in a new topic but what has happened to Thopres hotel?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
In terms of removing the BH tent, I doubt that will happen before they have a new ride to replace it.
Otherwise it would just be a big empty space.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
That plan seems awesome, like you said Ian, this really is approaching a Disney-esque style resort. I mean, you look at Hong Kong Disneyland, and Alton Towers excels so much for the British as what Hong Kong Disneyland does for the Chinese. It is the Disney of the UK. Pure escapism.

Making guests stay longer is the part I found interesting. A second park is definately out of the question, but what else could they do? I suppose the only options really are to continue to improve the park and the water park. With more accomodation, they'll have to have more of a 'pull' factor for people to stay at the resort. A long weekend is a very nice amount of time to relax and do everything and a steady pace. But any longer than that is pretty pointless. Hopefully some 'out of the box' concept will leap out of nowhere.

I honestley I can't think of anything except heavy park investments?

trav

Mega Poster
bezzzzzer said:
That plan seems awesome, like you said Ian, this really is approaching a Disney-esque style resort. I mean, you look at Hong Kong Disneyland, and Alton Towers excels so much for the British as what Hong Kong Disneyland does for the Chinese. It is the Disney of the UK. Pure escapism.

I can't tell if here, you're trying to say that Alton Towers is up to the standards of Hong Kong Disneyland, as in, it's on the level of the worst of the Disneylands, or if you just chose the wrong Disneyland to use as an example.

Personally, I don't think Alton is anywhere near Disney standards. In anything. Yeah, they're a "resort" now...but what have they got compared to Disney? One park, one water park, and two mediocre hotels. As far as I'm aware, most of the Disney resorts have at least two parks, a water park, and big, luxury hotels.

It could be seen as the English Disney, but that's not really saying much.

marc

CF Legend
Years ago and I mean years ago thats what Alton wanted and it felt special, now days its just your normal theme park.

I do think Merlin can turn it around and this plan will help them, but it needs a lot of work in some areas and they are working on them thats for sure. It will take years maybe one land a year so in 5 years time Alton I think will be so much better than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.