What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

trav

Mega Poster
A Mack E-Motion coaster is designed to tilt as it goes around the track. I have no idea what a "Drift Coaster" is though, so I don't know how close to the real thing it is.

The trains only tilt ever so slightly, as can be seen here:
linnanmakie39.jpg

Photo from ThemeParkReview.com

Sadly, because they tilt so little, I've heard they don't really add anything to the overall ride experience.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
As I explained, a drift coaster powerslides. As it goes around a corner, the back end comes out over the side of the track like a car oversteering.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
trav said:
Sadly, because they tilt so little, I've heard they don't really add anything to the overall ride experience

Conversely, i've heard that the tilts, especially the outwards-banked turns, like the one on Tulireki @ Linnanmaki, actually feel a lot more than they actually are. I'd imagine that an opposite banking would be more noticeable anyway though.

Back on to Alton's coaster though, I reckon it'll be of a bigger scale than a Mack e-Motion-type thing. They're only really on par with a Gerstlauer Bobsled, and that's not a big enough draw for Alton. Its got to be something around the scale of a Eurofighter I reckon.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
I'm starting to think dark ride.
I'm fairly sure on corkscrews last day Barnes said worlds first ROLLER COASTER?
Ah, I thought my intent would have been obvious, perhaps it wasn't: coaster inside a building, better?

I just can't envisage any mind-blowing coaster concepts within the given restraints. But that's because I want it to be mind-blowing (as we all do), whereas the reality is likely to be somewhat less.

Hence my thoughts towards something dark, where the environment could be fashioned to something different.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I am not talking about a Mack e-motion. I'm talking about something completely diferent. Drift coaster, not tilting car coaster. Two different things.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
blaze123 said:
I am not talking about a Mack e-motion. I'm talking about something completely diferent. Drift coaster, not tilting car coaster. Two different things.

The X-Car drifting coasters you mean? Looked rubbish, and too close to G-Force at Drayton.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Exactly. It would depend on how they pull it off. It could be spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. It would still be a world first, even if it is based on G-Force.

spicy

Giga Poster
Spectacularly bad would be my guess as G-Force sucks.

I think as long as this coaster uses the valley its going to be amazing but I just can't see that happening unfortunately.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Slayed said:
Joey said:
I'm starting to think dark ride.
I'm fairly sure on corkscrews last day Barnes said worlds first ROLLER COASTER?
Ah, I thought my intent would have been obvious, perhaps it wasn't: coaster inside a building, better?

I just can't envisage any mind-blowing coaster concepts within the given restraints. But that's because I want it to be mind-blowing (as we all do), whereas the reality is likely to be somewhat less.

Hence my thoughts towards something dark, where the environment could be fashioned to something different.

What about an "Amazing Adventures of Spiderman" ride but with coaster elements? Although, I wouldn't expect anything like this to be put in the part of the park with the biggest ceiling. AT doesn't have many large buildings, as it would rightly spoil the atmosphere, so it's a stretch to imagine a 95ft building, and if it's not that tall, why build it where the highest ceiling is?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I was looking on Towers Times yesterday...

Their conversation on this seems to be focused on that survey that went out and the idea of coasters which do more than just coast, but actually have switch and tilt mechanisms and such. What with that, the roboarm and the general language used to describe the new coaster on the Corkscrew's last day (which brought Slayed to his conclusions, also) it seems fairly fixed that AT want something that is about experience, atmosphere, magic, etc... So I guess that's where the B&M 4D prototype rumour fits ...sort of nicely into this? But I can't honestly see it happening. It's not going to be a B&M, is it. B&M aren't going to offer enough crazy trick track nonsense for what Alton appear to be wantingz.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=21209

That said, if it is B&M... I bet whatever BGE are getting in 2010 is the same ride type and will open a couple of months after. Think what happened with Air and Superman. But I think if anything, the heavy rumour that BGE are getting a B&M prototype for 2010 is more evidence that Alton won't be.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
spicy said:
I think as long as this coaster uses the valley its going to be amazing but I just can't see that happening unfortunately.
I don't think that Alton Towers are using the valley because it isn't stated in the planning permision. I know that Alton Towers don't need planning permision for some places, but they will need to with the valley because of removing the trees (if there are trees there).
Everyone says that they have a lot of space to work with, but can anyone guess what sort of scale this ride could be (like maximum something)?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Sorry, Alton Towers don't need planning permission in some places within the park?

Good joke. Really, that is brilliant.

Don't be silly, Alton Towers need planning permission for anything they build (as long as it's bigger that a certain size, I seem to think it's 7ft, but I can ask my Mum as she deals with planning applications and it's not going to be that different, and it's permanent). Especially a roller coaster.

They would need it, just as any other establishment or family would.

Who told you this?

Mark

Strata Poster
It has been discussed earlier in this topic that certain areas within the park do NOT need specific planning permission. I can't remember what the specifics for that are exactly, but I also remember it being mentioned.

I am pretty sure Furie could shed some light on it?

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
Also you have to take into consideration that not everything will require planning, only the ride if it steps out of bounds (note - Rita required no planning app).

Furie has already shed his light...

aly

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
^Sorry, Alton Towers don't need planning permission in some places within the park?

Good joke. Really, that is brilliant.

Don't be silly, Alton Towers need planning permission for anything they build (as long as it's bigger that a certain size, I seem to think it's 7ft, but I can ask my Mum as she deals with planning applications and it's not going to be that different, and it's permanent). Especially a roller coaster.

They would need it, just as any other establishment or family would.

Who told you this?

Apparently they have some sort of General Developemt Order, which is backed up by the fact RITA did not need planning permission.

A bit more I found on TTF...

dormiensdraco said:
Some people are getting excited by the fact that the new ride has to apply for planning permission before building can commence, because it means the ride will be exceptionally tall or obtrusive or tree felling for whatever else. But how come a rollercoaster only requires planning permission if it is big and crazy, yet rides like Battle Galleons also needed permission? (If Rita slipped by the planning office, how come my Dad spent months trying to get our planning permission sorted when we wanted to increase our conservatory by about 2ft!! )

You need planning permission for most things including AT however, a long time ago AT applied for a general development order over certain parts of the park, so long as certain factors are met they can do what they like and Rita was in the GDO area. i imaging SW6 needs planning because it goes into the woods and out of the GDO area

Slayed

Hyper Poster
If you look at the planning application, it also states than an Environmental Impact Assessment is *not* required, so I suspect they're not planning any major changes to the woodland or the terrain.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, but my my point was the AT will have gotten that permit thingy at some point.

It will have certain planning restraints on it. They may be vast, I don't know, I don't really care, but to say they don't need planning permission sounds to me like it's not entirely true.

I say again, why don't we wait and see? No-one really knows.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think this topic (as well as the SAW construction topic) should be semilocked, and only open on certain times during the day. 1-2 PM GMT for instance. Any attempts to add another post remarking how this topic is fifty pages of excrements should lead to an error message telling you that the topic is locked for now, will open at a set time, but any breaking news can be posted by the mods on request (say, if you PM them the link).

And for all we know, this may be the worlds first coaster to be replaced by essentially the same ride. We all want Flamingoland to get a woodie, and if they remove Corkscrew, they will have the space for one. Alton already knows that this ride clone is within all the restrictions, including the space. Moving the Ug Swinger may just be a clever distraction... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.