What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It was a bit of marketing type stuff Alton did about six months back. Questionarre on "What kind of thing do you like".

I don't think it really means anything "solid"

jack.bell

Mega Poster
on the wikipiedia site it does state that the new alton coaster for 2010

To fill the Corkscrew area there will be a new attraction code named SW6 (Secret Weapon 6). A major new attraction for Alton Towers and a world first in coaster design it will join Nemesis (SW3), Oblivion (SW4) and Air (SW5) by having an 'SW' code name. Intamin are rumoured to be heavily involved with the new coaster possibly a woodie with launch system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_towers

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly - first Wikipedia is a poor source. Anyone could add anything they liked.

Secondly, we have known that for roughly 30 pages, and confirmed two weekends ago by the Alton Towers Main Director in an interview :)

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
...Interesting about that questionnaire... I think it could mean something... why else would AT produce it unless they wanted some kind of feedback on what type of ride the GP would prefer out of two suggested.

I'd like to see something built into the Forrest that would be cool.
Not so hot on the dueling bikes idea tho, and obviously, the robocoaster looks like a load of ass.

jack.bell

Mega Poster
/\/\ yes i know it is not every reliable but i was just pointing it out sorry that i was pointing out the already stated.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Duelling coaster on that budget?

Seriously, it's amazing just how quickly people lose their common sense. And that's not in anyone's direction, just a general consensus from reading this topic.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I think if it was a launched woodie it would go well with the whole racing theme in that area and also enthusiasts would be happy with a woodie. Sadly IMO i dont like the idea of 2 launches in the same area. Never the less i would still be ecxtatic at the thought of a launched woodie, and even more if it had a good theme to it.

Slash

Giga Poster
^I know what you mean they have 500 acres but they use must be a third of it, if that. I think there may be some tree chopping for this coaster, the google maps satelite image is still pretty old. Rita isnt even on there. Must say I love the look of Nemesis and Air from birdseye view. They look as if the turns are extremely sharp.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
^That is what I was trying to point out, Alton towers the biggest theme park in the UK (minus BPB, but that place's a dump, and overcrowded with ride, and has been going a lot longer) it's got tonnes of space left to use, so sometime in the future (thinking 2020-40) there is going to a new area opened up, with, hopefully something big, because the need to expand, the look at all the space they have.

-CA

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^AT can't just do whatever they like with their land unfortunately, they need approval from the authorities first to cover noise, woodland preservation etc. (hence no coaster into the valley).

As already mentioned there's a logic to a wooden launch specifically at AT - they want a woodie but don't have the height to play with.

What else would get you excited, given their restrictions? A spinning suspended Mack? :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
Sadly - first Wikipedia is a poor source. Anyone could add anything they liked.
Yeah, wiki sucks for information about things like this. But to be fair, all it's stated is fact here. It is heavily rumoured to be many things, and the writer just picked their favourite. :lol:

Basically, if you're looking for information about anything with a huge Internet fandom of under 20 year olds, wikipedia is suck. Pages on minor unimportant things don't get checked so regularly for bull****, simply because no one knows the facts or can find evidence elsewhere. It's pretty obvious on wikipedia what is useful information and what isn't.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
NickkyG said:
I think a big question could be: How much of the wooded area next to Corkscrew/Rita are Alton Towers allowed to clear?

Yup, this is what I said earlier.

It would seem the wood next to the SW6 site is all within the park limits, that is if we assume the park ends with the road/houses on the other side. That's a mighty big wood! I hope Alton are allowed to clear a chunk of it to make the site bigger.

Launched Wood- It makes some sense in the context of Alton -possibly- wanting a woodie and the height restriction, but as I have said earlier I just don't see it. The whole concept seems ridiculous and like would be plagued with breakdowns. I don't think the GP would care about it either. Barnes said 'something spectacular', ....launched wood seems stupid not spectacular.

Slash

Giga Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
Yup, this is what I said earlier.

It would seem the wood next to the SW6 site is all within the park limits, that is if we assume the park ends with the road/houses on the other side. That's a mighty big wood! I hope Alton are allowed to clear a chunk of it to make the site bigger.

Launched Wood- It makes some sense in the context of Alton -possibly- wanting a woodie and the height restriction, but as I have said earlier I just don't see it. The whole concept seems ridiculous and like would be plagued with breakdowns. I don't think the GP would care about it either. Barnes said 'something spectacular', ....launched wood seems stupid not spectacular.

They could chop down all the trees and wouldnt have to buy wood for the coaster!

Slash

Giga Poster
Anyway I can't wait for whatever Alton are buying wood, steel whatever. I trust Alton to make a great coaster and won't be worrying about there decision. I mean it can't get worse than rita... can it?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
UC is right in his belief that the public like RITA, mainly as to many speed=good...
Even if RITA is a pile a crap and was arguably rougher than Corkscrew was on my last visit :roll:

Similarly, the GP love Air as well, due to the innovation of it and that (to them) it is one-of-a-kind...

Let's not forget the average GP's knowledge of themeparks in the UK reaches Orlando if we're lucky, hence I doubt many would know about Tatsu, the Superman's, Kingda Ka, TTD, etc...

It doesn't have to be the "World's First Whatever" for Alton to make a good ride... They need to choose a ride that is different from what they currently have (not but much if issues arise, but enough) in order to give the GP something new, and possibly one-of-a-kind in their own eyes...

The ideas I see here are often silly... A 4-D? Launched Wooden? Some people need to remember this isn't RCT and realise that these things cost money over their whole life-span... And what with 4-Ds being the most unreliable coasters ever and Launched Woodens being a concept enthusiasts have actually made up due to GG's new trains claiming to be 'launch capable' when no such design exists makes me wonder about people's brains...

Whether Alton would build a launched wooden is something else though, but with the GP, they'll compare it immeadiently to RITA, so would it be a good business move overall? Even if all enthusiasts want is wood, UC said truthfully that we make up a minority of the yearly guests, our opinions aren't the ones the want in the end... It's the GP...

We could boycott all we wanted for example, and it wouldn't do a thing...

Ignorance is Bliss they say...

Status
Not open for further replies.