What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Thing is UC, if you want a ride with decent speed at Alton you either have to do a lot of digging (Oblvion, Nemesis), put a launch on it (Rita) or otherwise accept a slower ride (Air)

IMO the point of putting a launch on an Alton woodie would not be to say that they have a launched woodie (Though it would be a good delivered benefit) but rather as a means of getting the ride to a decent speed whilst avoiding having to build a high lift above the treeline.

Obviously, the main focus of the ride would be the unique character of a wooden coaster.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Saying you have a launched woodie is just pointless in my view. Part of the reason people love wooden coasters is because they’re “older-style” when it comes to the ride itself…launching it just defeats this.
Well I guess you are right in that respect. All I am saying is that a launch on a possible Alton woodie would most likey be done out of necessity.

Second, it would be located right next to the park’s other launched coaster.
As I've already stated, having two launched coasters side by side isn't an issue:
http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_C ... aster.html

Third, if you want a major launched ride, why wouldn’t you go with something proven? Something that has at least been attempted in some form in the past? Why would you do something like launch a wooden coaster?
But Alton has done firsts in the past. With Air for instance they could have just used a Vekoma, but they worked with B&M to sort out their own version.
And I’m irritated with the fact that the ONLY reason this is even being discussed right now is because of a small blurb on Gravity Group’s new train that says its compatible with launch systems (as if PTC wouldn’t give you a launched train if you asked for it).
Actually the idea of a launched woodie has been floated in the past, Its just sort of become a 'serious' ever since GG mentioned it.
Any train currently equipped for magnetic braking (With train mounted magnets) would already be capable of working with LSMs, and trains equipped to deal with friction wheels would be capable of working with a tyre launch. For a little while now I have considered the idea of a launched woodie being feasible without the need for major innovations.

A

Anonymous

I honestly can't see Alton going for a launched wooden coaster.
They have had problems in the past with planning for a wooden coaster. 2 or 3 times it has been declined.
So why would the mention a "Worlds first" with such a risk of it being declined again?

Surely they wouldn't chance it. You can't fill wood with sand, but you can steel. It just doesn't seem right tbh!

Dave

CF Legend
^ But! There are ways round it, the launch eliminates the lift idea, which they could keep all the hills under the treeline which would be good for the residents as they won't be able to see it.
Noise is always going to be an issue, if its a hybrid design it shouldn't be that loud, it'll only make a rumble sound as it goes by.
Noisiests parts on a wooden coaster I find is its lift, but even at Blackpool the wooden rides aren't exactly deafening, and only get loud when your actually on the thing.

If it is going to be launched it have to go between 40-60mph as any higher or lower would be silly in my opinion, but we don't know, this is the only worlds first theory that holds ground atm.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Dave said:
this is the only worlds first theory that holds ground atm.

B&M 4D that holds ground.

I'm not saying that's what SW6 will be, but the more I think of a launched wood at AT, the less I think they would go for it.

See GG new trains thread.

marc

CF Legend
If you listen to what that guy said, he said it will be the worlds first dependant on planning permission going through in March.

No one will know 100% what that are getting until then.

I can just see that every time someone comes up with something new people will say "there it is thats what Alton are getting".

For all we know it could be that baby coaster, thats a worlds first and it will be thrilling for a baby :)

Know one knows if B&M are working on a 4D coaster, its just a story that has gone around. Again though even the GP know about X its been on loads of coaster programes so even they will know a 4D coaster is not knew, does not matter if its the first B&M one its still not new.

As for lift hill on a woodie being to loud, use a cable there goes the noise. Plus you could hear the Corkscrew's lift hill motor all the way back at the pirate area when the park was dead.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
southend_marc said:
If you listen to what that guy said, he said it will be the worlds first dependant on planning permission going through in March.

No one will know 100% what that are getting until then.

That's true, but obviously AT have something in mind.
A concept that has been worked on for a long time.
Perhaps they have a back up concept too.
It sucks that they have to ask planning permission.
There should just be a decibel limit and a maximum ceiling, and beyond that AT can build whatever they want.

southend_marc said:
Know one knows if B&M are working on a 4D coaster, its just a story that has gone around. Again though even the GP know about X its been on loads of coaster programes so even they will know a 4D coaster is not knew, does not matter if its the first B&M one its still not new.

As for lift hill on a woodie being to loud, use a cable there goes the noise.

X2 is obviously more well known than Flying Dutchman's were back in 2002, but still, AIR was played as a worlds first when really it wasn't.
I wouldn't put it past Alton. Technically, it would still be a world's first.

If it turns out to be wood, then yea they have got to go with a cable lift.

marc

CF Legend
Far to many people have been on x/x2 for them to get away with that.

People will just get off the coaster and say its the same.

I personally do not care what it is as long as its good.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Launched Woody? My oh my. And some of us in here had the nerve to laugh at the CP fanboys before Maverick.

Seriously, did you ever jus think that they'd start with a small drop for speed, and then a drop into the valley. And then maybe even a lift back up the valley into the station? It's not impossible you know. In fact, it's much more feasible than a ****ing launched woodie :p

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
southend_marc said:
Far to many people have been on x/x2 for them to get away with that.

People will just get off the coaster and say its the same.

California IS the other side of the world, but I know what you mean.

southend_marc said:
I personally do not care what it is as long as its good.

Yea, that's gotta be the most important quality.

I want to see something like Nemesis, genius ride design that holds up over a decade later.
I'm not asking much for much, heheh. AIR and RITA were fun but nothing spectacular.

marc

CF Legend
Yes California is miles away but even mates of mine that just went to LA on holiday went on it. They are just GP so they will know.

Granted they did not know it was called a 4D coaster but the know how it rode, thats what I am getting at.

Again though this so called B&M one it meant to look really different. The seats are on the middle of the train and not over the edge like on X2. Who knows until we see pictures.

For a long time I thought this is what Alton would get but now I dont think so.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Can I just ask, please...

Can we not have every new bit of kit that is shown at IAPAA linked to the Alton Coaster?

Yes, there's a chance one may be, but we don't need 30 page conversations in each new topic all saying "if Alton got this".

Keep it in the Alton topic, and not the IAAPA topics please?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Is there any IAAPA topic? I know the Trade Show started yesterday, but we haven't seen any news so far.

However, I do get your point.
Which park do you want us to link it to? I'll happily volunteer for a TusenFryd speculation topic...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, not yet - but the Gravity Group topic is an offshoot of the event. I don't mind if people want to discuss each major new idea in a new topic like GG one - It's just that the new Alton coaster could be any, or none, of the new releases.

I just don't want those topics getting spammed up with talk of Alton - if it's all in here, I'm sure it's fine :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I agree with what Furie has said, due to me not looking at the topic title I mistook the new train topic for the Alton Topic as people were talking about Alton in there.

marc

CF Legend
The problem with having the lift hill at the end of the ride is it leaves you feeling flat.

I really enjoyed Nija at MM until it got to the lift hill at the end and that made me rate the ride lower as that was my memory of it :(

CMonster

Giga Poster
A launched woodie sounds rediculous. woodies kind of make you think of older coasters, while most steel coasters, especially launched coasters makes you think of high tech coasters.

And, can a wooden coaster even hold up under the stress of a launch? I know the new cars have special suspension and stuff, but still...

It just sounds so undoable.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Well its not "Undoable" for reasons stated above, its just very unlikely.

Going back to what could the coaster could be, I think that this has been too overlooked:

db20080722futurealtonrazj7.jpg

Its the only information we actually have that has been released by Alton and to quote the image text-

Rollercoaster- Experience the thrills of a fast and furious race through the twists and turns of the forest. Watch out for those near-misses as you career through underground tunnels, splash through waterfalls and charge down steep banks. Who will cross the finish line first to be crowned champion?

This suggests a dueling coaster through the woodland, how awesome would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.