What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jools

Giga Poster
Odd rumour going around school that it will be a backwards more than verticle coaster, does that makes sense?

Ollie

CF Legend
Who remembers those very old rumours where they were going to get a clone of Rita so that they were racing? :p
I know it definitely won't be that but t would be funny to get the exact same ride but it's different because it would be two clone launch coasters side by side. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jewls1993 said:
hmph

Come on guys, work with me here :(

everything we say on here is a rumour

There's a difference between rumour and utter crap :)

It's still too early for rumour even, this will be absolutely top secret until either it's officially released, or track turns up. Alton are exceptionally good at playing close to their chests and nobody will know ANYTHING until they want them to.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
Who remembers those very old rumours where they were going to get a clone of Rita so that they were racing?
I know it definitely won't be that but t would be funny to get the exact same ride but it's different because it would be two clone launch coasters side by side.

That was in this topic not so long back lol.

And thank the heavens you added "I know it definately wont be that"

Ollie

CF Legend
Mark said:
That was in this topic not so long back lol.

And thank the heavens you added "I know it definitely wont be that"
I can't be bothered to back track through 35 pages of rumours where hardly anything is being announced. And yeah I knew it wouldn't be but just remembered it been mentioned a while back. :)

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
I think this area will require very canny landscaping.. of course the proximity of one ride to another and also being crammed into a tight space often enhances a ride experience.

It is quite an odd plot of land to work with, I'll say that.

I'm wondering when SW3 became known to be an invert and when Air was known to be a flyer...
I know enthusiasts recognized B&M track supports at the park in 1997 for SW4. How long through the 2009 season could Alton really keep the rides make a secret..? Hmmm.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Highly doubt anyone will know this answer but does anyone think the now called ug land will be open like when they built oblivion or close the area down completely?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
^It's all speculation at this point, no one 'knows'.

It's easy to see why Ug Land could get closed- this new coaster seems destined to be somewhat intertwined with RITA.. On the other hand closing the parks most popular ride for a year would surely affect 2009's revenue.

Could The Gravity Group provide the first launched Woodie for Alton?
Man, that would be interesting...

Mark

Strata Poster
I doubt Rita would be shut for a whole year. More likely it will be towards the tail end of the 09 season.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
Could The Gravity Group provide the first launched Woodie for Alton?
Man, that would be interesting...

Surely thats impossible? Firstly, wouldn't the ride need exceptionally strong tracking, escpecially on the launch 'track', so that wear is not done to it?

But staying that, yes, it would be interesting :D

EDIT: After seeing the Gravity Group train and track ideas, I can see where you are coming from :p

Dave

CF Legend
^ Well the launch itself dosen't have to be made of wood ;) It can turn into a wooden coaster (hybrid) after the launch.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Thats got to be possibly the most well thought out, highly informative post that I have ever read.

Anyways, if you look at this picture that Furie posted:

ugland.jpg

There is alot of land next to and behind Corkscrew/Rita. I believe in the woodland is where John Wardley had been seen marking trees and there are orange marks on some of the trees in the woodland. Its either for some gardening or for the new coaster :) I think the coaster is alot more likely to be built in this area rather than interacting with Rita in any kind of way.

Also in my opinion UgSwinger moving has probably got nothing to do with making way for the coaster to go into the valley, although I hope I am wrong. It has probably been moved because:

* You won't be able to get to that area of Ugland next year.
* They wanted to re-theme it for the new area and market it as a new ride.
* To make way for lorries etc.. As it is right in the way of the back entance into Ugland.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Launched Woodie? Possible, possible.

But next to RITA? One launched steel coaster and one launched woodie, both with no inversions? It could work, but it also seems quite strange to me. I mean, two nearly identical coasters next to each other? Some duel theme could work, but...

I've got a feeling that I'll have to eat those words in the near future...

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
spicy said:
There is alot of land next to and behind Corkscrew/Rita. I believe in the woodland is where John Wardley had been seen marking trees and there are orange marks on some of the trees in the woodland. Its either for some gardening or for the new coaster :) I think the coaster is alot more likely to be built in this area rather than interacting with Rita in any kind of way.

Yeah, I talked about this earlier- some trees getting the chop to make the site bigger.
Tho I don't know how far back the park limits go into the wood that borders the left of Corky's lift hill.

spicy

Giga Poster
I am pretty sure the park owns all that land right there, the only problem of course with removing trees could cause problems with planning permission.

Unless they are diseased ;)

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
I'd be surprised they needed to remove parts of Rita to gain access to the Corkscrew site.

I'm fairly sure you could get a crane round the back of Rita (where the viewing area was for Corkscrew's last day). The Skyride does go overhead there, but there's quite a gap if I recall.

Even if there isn't, it wouldn't be too much of a job to remove the cable in order to get the vehicles in as a one off. It wouldn't surprise me if vertical construction didn't start until the next season close anyway. It's only then that you need the heavy plant, before that, the vehicles you need will fit under the cable car, and if not, you could probably drive them round Rita the long way anyway.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I feel like ending the debate right now that you can't have two launched coasters side by side:
http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_C ... aster.html
Yes, It is a bit odd, but in terms of marketing a new ride, most members of the GP wouldn't really know about it's location in the park beforehand, and hence aren't going to come to that conclusion.
wouldn't the ride need exceptionally strong tracking, escpecially on the launch 'track', so that wear is not done to it?
But it wouldn't be any worse then what happens to a regular wooden coaster.
Say you had a flat length of track, and the train was speeding along at 100 km/h, on the flat bit of track the only force on it would be the weight of the train...there are no turns so there are no lateral forces, and the track isn't curving upward, so no g forces stronger than +1 are generated.
All you would need to do would be to make sure the track/metal surfacing could deal with wheels running across it at that speed, but since there are a number of woodies out there that travel that fast there should be no new challenges.

I think my only concern would be timber warpage misaligning the sensitive launch components (Eg LSMs), but as has been mentioned you could get around this by having the launch on a steel structure.
Alternativley, you could use a launch system such as frictional tyres, where movement is less of an issue.

Now, I know the idea of a launched woodie generates a bit of :roll: amongst some. A woodie has been a long wanted/planned ride, but at the same time the restrictions would mean you are limited to a low to the ground Prowler or Freizeitpark Plohn style layout. The main issue there is that you still need a big drop at the start to make sure the train has enough speed so airtime is generated on this style of course, but of course this isn't allowed at Alton.
I think this is where a launched woodie would become useful. You could have a low to the ground layout with lots of low hills that satisfies local restrictions, but you give the ride the constant speed it needs to make this style of layout a success by having multiple sets of LIMs/LSMs scattered throughout.

Anyhow, if I were building a woodie at Alton, that's how I'd approach it, not saying that's what they would be planning or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.