What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
Aaaaaaaa, in context with the wooden coaster idea I getcha.

I read that out of context and more just a general it could be as lame a claim as Infusion blah blah blah.....

Honestly though, for once, I actually have faith in the company and their initial claims. I don't know where it is coming from BUT for some reason I do believe it will be a worthwhile world's first. They have said publicly, not just to enthusiasts, that it will be a world's first. So even if it was the worlds first BnM woodie, that wouldn't mean **** to the public. That would be a big faux pas in terms of marketing. Massive in fact. The public are not that ****ing stupid!

Apparently BnM are expected (or even speculated) to announce either their own woodie range or 4d at the IAAPA... Neither of which are worlds first.

Therefore Perhaps it won't be a BnM at all at Alton! I admit I thought it would be, but I could bemassively wrong too. (Remember when everyone was adament that Thorpes new coaster was going to be BnM and it turned out to be Gerstlauer. Regardless of the debatable circumstances, it still ended up as not being a BnM!)

Yes BnM are expected to reveal a new concept coincedentally around the same time AT have announced a new new worlds first coaster. My argument to that would be, Why on earth would BnM launch a new concept in this years IAAPA to then tell people you cant order one though because we have promised some park in the UK the first one in 18 months time. Surely it would be in both companies interests to hold the suspense and have a real shocker to the world.

Furie has said time and time and time again. It is impossible to second guess what is coming. Yet people insist on trying... Alton are extremely well versed in keeping everyone guessing.

Remember Air... Even when it was being built people couldn't work it out because it seemed to mix inverted and sit down coaster. Remember Rita... For months everyone was talking about a booster bike coaster that was going to go in Gloomy Woods themed to broomsticks. Even planning appeared onling and so on. All the while plans were being finalised for Rita. It keeps people guessing and keeps them interested and therefore is good marketing in itself!

IF it truly is a worlds first then whatever it is, is going to be totally different to what we can speculate upon and is also going to be treated with the most fierce secrecy until AT are ready to go to town with the media frenzy they would want and expect.

Edit: Coaster Fiend. That was what I was getting at!!!!!!! It doesnt mean it is a wooden coaster just because Wardley is working on the project.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
^I know, I don't think it will be a woodie because what can be 'worlds first' about a woodie that the GP would accept as being a worlds first. Wardley is on board and that has got to be a good sign.

I'd love to see a new B&M concept most.
I do agree with you about SW6 being a real worlds first, if Alton says that, it's not like other parks saying it. Alton have credibilty.

Still, a B&M 4D coaster would be a thing of beauty I am sure.

costar

Mega Poster
Yes, in fact you don't need to speculate on this as AT have already done it in the past. With Air they were simply calling it a "world first" when clearly the Vekoma flyers had been around for a year or two (and there was even a flyer in Granada Studios here before that).

UC said:
Erol - Universal has an exclusivity deal with them. End of.

About this though UC, I have to disagree. I admit that Mark's evidence is compelling and well researched but it could just be one website leading off another. SC had them ON THE PHONE and if that isn't proof enough how do you explain them marketing their robocoaster at the EAS in Munich last month? Why would you pay all that money for exhibition space (and believe me it takes up more space than anything else there) if they aren't allowed to sell any?

Mark

Strata Poster
Woah, hold on there, I only dug up that info because I had some memory of it being announced when the whole Harry Potter thing came about.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
costar said:
SC had them ON THE PHONE

Means nothing. I just had my bank ON THE PHONE, and the silly bitch insisted I don't have a credit card with them. I'm pretty sure I've just used one to buy $1600 worth of plane tickets. Anyway, I guess since I was told ON THE PHONE, I can just go out, spend what I want, and not worry about the bill.

Jools

Giga Poster
I know this seems spammy,
but for some reason I am picturing something suspended, no idea why, doubt it would be a Vekoma SLC in the dark or something like that, and backwards wouldn't work and it would be pure pain!

But that is a point though, what about something inside the "Thunder Rock" prehps like Big Thunder Mountain, then they may get rid of the UG Land theme and keep the "Thunder Rock" bit :?

trav

Mega Poster
I doubt they'll get a suspended.

That would be too much like Nemesis to the untrained eye.

They haven't even got a sit down looper now, so what good another suspended/invert would do, I don't know.

costar

Mega Poster
Mark said:
Woah, hold on there, I only dug up that info because I had some memory of it being announced when the whole Harry Potter thing came about.

Yeah, sorry Mark if I came across dismissive, you were just presenting the facts the same way I am.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that they were just selling the simulator at the Euro show. In fact the whole thing seems a bit weird. To get exclusivity they would have to cover the Kuka's losses for all potential sales for the duration. This could cost the equivalent of 4 or 5 times the number of arms they are actually getting, and just to say "we're the only ones..."? In Orlando maybe. But fair enough, I don't know the numbers, they could be buying hundreds, so I'm happy to drop it before this disussion turns into a pantomime. We'll see if they exhibit at IAAPA which is this week I think.

A

Anonymous

Looping mine train

I've heard that there is going to be a looping mine train in place of the corkscrew :--D sounds AWESOME

Slash

Giga Poster
^ Who told you that? Because whoever it was is wrong. The chances of that are very small and they haven't released the details about it yet. Although I think its utterly impossible I'm not counting it out just yet. Although could dollywoods mystery mine be called a looping mine train? If so then it definitely won't be that. Sorry Dead and Ready

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC said:
I think Joey's point was more that if the ride was indeed a wooden coaster, the "World's First" claim would probably be very mild, given that there isn't really a whole lot of "new" things you can do with a wooden coaster that are of any true significance.
Yeah, that was my point.

I wasn't making a comparison to Blackpool, I was just using an extreme example.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Re: AIR being advertised as a worlds first- I always forget about Vekoma being first with the Flyer.

A B&M 4D would be amazing.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Vekoma's model is called 'Flying Dutchman'.
It's a flying coaster as the name suggests.

The main difference between it and B&M's model being that riders are loaded on their backs and then take the lift hill in this position. Once trains reach the top of the lift they flip into the prone position as the ride begins.

But then you already knew that.
Flying coaster. :wink:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think they got away with air not only because it was the first B&M flyer, but it it was the first coaster designed to give a gentle, bird-like, flying experiance.

Slash

Giga Poster
Plus they patented it "flying coaster" that may have something to do with it. But I still think it was the first flying coaster.

marc

CF Legend
I probably did not make it clear sorry. But at least it made you get my point :)

Air was called worlds 1st flying coaster even though it was not, yet its there as worlds first.

But you can see all Alton have to do is get a B&M woody and call it a worlds first, thats my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.