What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
If you looked round Ug Land you could see there is not that much theming left now really, apart from the shops there is just a few bits here and there.

I think it will be rethemed it has to be really, its a mess at the moment.

Mark

Strata Poster
A retheme does seem likely, especially considering this will be opening on their 30th anniversary (after a fashion). They will want to re-open this area with as much as gusto and fanfare as possible.

spicy

Giga Poster
I would say that when the land re-opens in 2010 it will definately not be called Ugland, it would make no sense.
Well unless they re-theme Rita into some sort of caveman car that can go 0-60 in 2 seconds and the new coaster has the ugland theme but that is about as unlikely as them building a 500 ft Strata :lol:

It will definately be a completely new area, wouldn't suprise me if they try to say Rita has been 'upgraded' like Thorpe did and maybe a new flat ride aswell? Would definately get the crowds coming in!

Maybe that Raceland theme that we saw in those plans that AT produced? Or that could have been a ploy to take us of the trail :lol:

Kebab

Giga Poster
The most likely re-theme will be Thunder rock rally to fit in with RITA's random radio station. I say no more...

Brookes

Giga Poster
Will it still be called Ugland next year? As there will be no more Ug Swingers and nothing to fit in with the Ugland theme.

Slash

Giga Poster
coasterchris93 said:
The most likely re-theme will be Thunder rock rally to fit in with RITA's random radio station. I say no more...

Oh well at least there will actually be themeing in that place. Maybe the new coaster/ ride will fit in aswell and hopefully be excellent like most of Alton's innovative designs.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ I think that radio station is awsome. However, if Ug Land is going, I can see that going as well. After all, Thunder Rock Rally Radio does kind of imply 'rock', as in a caveman, stone type connotation as well as in the music sense. So themeing an entire land around a Thunder Rock Rally I feel wouldn't really be that much of a transformation of Ug Land. What would they do? Put more rocks in places?

However, that being said, it was one of the concept art images that got leaked earlier in the year. This would also be the perfect solution to not make Rita stick out more than Dino-Rama to Dinoland USA. The 'racing' Thunder Rock concept, according to the concept images, indicates:

Rollercoaster: Experience the thrills a fast and furious race through the twist and turns of the forest. Watch out for those near misses, as your career through underground tunnels, splash through waterfalls, and charge down steep banks. Who will cross the finish line first to be the champion?

There's also a RoboArm poissibility as well, but we kinda eliminated that idea earlier in the thread didn't we?

As far as my understanding goes, this is the only option that those artwork pieces suggested that won't make Rita 'destroy' the theme of an area even more so than what it did in Ug Land.

The link to the 'racers' concept can be seen here on Screamscape.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Mark said:
Can we clear up this Robocoaster discussion a second, because the last I heard I was left with the distinct impression that the technology had been signed into an exclusivity deal with Universal. Presumably for the new Harry Potter area.

UC, you are most likely to know about this? Can you clear it up for us?

Nah thats bollocks! I rung up KUKA (the manufactures) a couple of months back and it's not true.

So from that, I think it's just some geeky enthusiast trying to be a clever dick.

marc

CF Legend
It was reported last year though Erol that they had singed to Universal so I dont think you were told the truth by them or you were not put through to the right people.

It was a statement by them and Universal that gave us that information, and Disney even had to stop making a ride due to this.

Mark

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Mark said:
Can we clear up this Robocoaster discussion a second, because the last I heard I was left with the distinct impression that the technology had been signed into an exclusivity deal with Universal. Presumably for the new Harry Potter area.

UC, you are most likely to know about this? Can you clear it up for us?

Nah thats bollocks! I rung up KUKA (the manufactures) a couple of months back and it's not true.

So from that, I think it's just some geeky enthusiast trying to be a clever dick.

It was publicly announced last year in an official statement. UC also backed me up on that a couple of pages ago. I have even dug up many of the follow up articles that did the rounds online. It details all information on there:

http://thatoneguy.wordpress.com/2007/04 ... eme-parks/

and here

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/archive ... 66110.html

and here

orlando blog said:
Universal Conjures Harry Potter Deal
In an epic battle between Disney and Universal, the smart money would be on Disney. But lo and behold, Universal seems to have come out on top in the struggle to land the rights to turn the boy wizard's fantastical world ionto a theme park attraction. Or should that be attractions?

According to reports surfacing here and there, this looks like a done deal.

No word on when or exactly where (let alone what shape) the new attraction will take, but one interesting note is Nikki Finke's contention that "the themed area would be at a previously unused portion of the amusement park."

That would seem to quash all the rumors that Lost Continent would be become Potterville. But what "unused portion" could we be talking about here? If we're talking a single ride, then there's some vacant real estate at the original Studios park (over in the corner of World Expo).

But it seems to me that Harry cries out for something bigger than that, if only because it must have cost a very big bundle to snatch the rights from Disney's grasp. I wonder if that vast open space between IOA and I-4, once set aside for a fourth and fifth hotel could become a whole new theme park? Probably not, but nice to contemplate.

Jim Hill has more (and more realistic sounding) speculation about a ride based on Harry's flying Ford Anglia. But wouldn't that be an obvious replacement for Back to the Future's DeLoreans?

What then about the much ballyhooed Simpsons ride that's supposed to go there?

BTW, Hill's article, linked above, is also worth reading for info on the hi-tech Kuka robotic arm technology that Universal is said to now have exclusive rights to.

Exciting times ahead.
http://www.theotherorlando.com/blog/200 ... chive.html

It should also be noted that it has been reported on Screamscape a lot and although that isn't a concrete source, it has been mentioned several times and backed up furthermore. Scroll down to July 08 bulletins and scroll down from around there to read more of those reports.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/islands ... enture.htm

As a side note, one of the things that Universal have already used the Kuka arm for is the Fast & the Furious Tokyo Drift section of the backlot tour.

UC also mentioned that Disney were working on a project involving Kuka but because of the exclusivity deal the Disney plans fell through as detailed here, it also mentions the fact that some of the initial technology was used for the nemo and friends attraction in Epcot.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/print/9377.aspx

I didn't realise it was possible to just give em a quick call and they will give us all the juicy details :p

Anyways, back to Alton. I think it is safe to say they will not be getting a Kuka ride as the 2010 SW6. I don't know why but I am still in the mindset that it is likely to be a B&M. But that is probably due to the trend of SW's being from them. Plus I also feel that B&M are due something brand spanking new, it has been a while...

Mark

Strata Poster
They do sell stuff besides the Robot Arm rides though. They are primarly a robotic arm for production factory kind of company.

They joined up with Primal rides to supply the technology that makes up the Kuka Robocoaster.

Thing is, in essense you can still order a product, it is when you get further into an actual sale that they would inform you of the fact particular parts of their selection are only available after a certain date.

Mark

Strata Poster
There are tonnes more. I just popped Kuka Ride Universal Deal into google. Then again with the word exclusive in it and it chucked up LOADS!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Mark said:
They do sell stuff besides the Robot Arm rides though. They are primarly a robotic arm for production factory kind of company.

They joined up with Primal rides to supply the technology that makes up the Kuka Robocoaster.

Thing is, in essense you can still order a product, it is when you get further into an actual sale that they would inform you of the fact particular parts of their selection are only available after a certain date.

No, because I phoned their UK attractions devision not the commercial devision.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Slayed said:
Ultimate Coaster said:
I think most of us generally agree by this point that this "world's first" ride isn't going to be made of wood.
I've not entirely given up on the idea, we just don't know, but it does seem unlikely.
It just makes me think that that the "worlds first" attibute will be VERY dull and kind of pointless, along the same lines as Infusion's "first coaster entirely over water!"

speaking of which... Is Wardley being seen on sight the ONLY evidence of it being a woodie?

Mark

Strata Poster
Joey said:
It just makes me think that that the "worlds first" attibute will be VERY dull and kind of pointless, along the same lines as Infusion's "first coaster entirely over water!"

Yeah but that is a poor comparison Joey. Not being funny but Blackpool is the place that claims their SLC was brand new, that it is the largest and fastest SLC in Europe or whatever it is this week. They also claimed for many years after they were beaten that the Big one was this, that, the other.

Comparing AT's claims and the way they market to that of Blackpool is just a little bit extreme wouldn't you say?

Yes Blackpool took the first coaster over water thing and run with it. We all laughed yes? Alton, for all their faults are not that bad when it comes to marketing...

Mark

Strata Poster
Worlds first 4 across seat wooden coaster?

Seriously though, I honestly judge Altons marketing team a little bit higher then that. That is why I don't think it is a wooden coaster. Ive given up that dream a long time ago.

Wardley said he was in Semi Retirement. One of the projects he said he would always come back for would be the wooden coaster BUT he never said he wouldn't come back for anything else either! (Part of his semi retirement has involved working with the team involved in Saw... if the rumours are true that is)

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Mark said:
Worlds first 4 across seat wooden coaster?

Seriously though, I honestly judge Altons marketing team a little bit higher then that. That is why I don't think it is a wooden coaster. Ive given up that dream a long time ago.

Wardley said he was in Semi Retirement. One of the projects he said he would always come back for would be the wooden coaster BUT he never said he wouldn't come back for anything else either! (Part of his semi retirement has involved working with the team involved in Saw... if the rumours are true that is)

Dude, read his bio on wikipedia.
It's pretty obvious he is working on SW6.

Status
Not open for further replies.