What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Yeah the Corkscrew is 75 feet tall, so hopefully they'll be able to get that high again. But the top of the Corkscrew is painted green isn't it? I presume they can get to about 60/55 feet before the green paint has to come out.

But, if wood is still an option, Prowler is 85 feet tall. So a little less than that, and that's packed with banked turns and low hills, it looks incredible! But I can't help but think this addition is only going to take that spec of the Corkscrew, because Rita dominates the rest of the area. You can't really twist a coaster through Rita, it's just big and.....there.

But the Corkscrew has a bloody huge space. I realised when we went into the restricted are just how much space there actually is. The Corkscrew didn't even make the most of the space, hence the restricted area being able to be there. A woodie wouldn't fit there I don't reckon.

But, if they can't go high, the only other sensible thing for a coaster would be a launch, so they don't need a climb hill. Obviously, they've got RITA, so they're not going to do that. Powered coaster? Highly doubt it.

How about a launch lift hill like Maverick? I know it's not a huge launch, but it gives it an extra boost. That's 100 feet tall, so a bit of terrain or a bit more launch?

Just absurdly speculating though of course!

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
^AIR has always been advertised as a relaxing non intense ride, because that's what it is.

It's on the metal monsters page of the website but that don't mean anything.
It's blurb says-
Float, swoop, soar and dive. Feel the exhilaration of being weightless. You're flying.
Nothing about thrills.

Of course SW6 will be thrilling.
Look at RITA. That is a compact ride on the same site that is thrilling and loaded with airtime.
Obviously it won't be another rocket coaster, but AT will device some way of housing a thrilling new coaster on the site, that's what they do. After reading John Wardley's bio on wikipedia, it's pretty obvious he is part of the team on this project, the guy who created Nemesis!

They have already done the relaxing coaster, AIR was a novelty, albeit a successful one, but two relaxing coasters in one park would not float and they know that. I dunno, when AT say a world's first, something spectacular.. I kinda believe them. Maybe I'm a sucker .. time will tell.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Why do I suspect a lift, rather than a hill to help them fit this into the area?

Actually, why am I bothering because AT are notoriously impossible to second guess :lol:

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
bezzzzzer said:
Yeah the Corkscrew is 75 feet tall, so hopefully they'll be able to get that high again. But the top of the Corkscrew is painted green isn't it? I presume they can get to about 60/55 feet before the green paint has to come out.

Yeah, the treeline is more like 55/60 ft than the 70ft I said earlier...
It was probably the top 10ft or so of corkscrew that was painted green.
RITA is painted brown at the highest parts for the same reason.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I dont know if this true however some person at my school has said SW6 will be the first mine train loop and i highly doubt it because it will just be like a schwarzkopf looping coaster with the lap bar. I think this is just aload of rubbish but i may as well of posted it nether the less

Ben

CF Legend
UC, you are honestly two short planks.

To say that the ENTIRE advertising campaign of a ride is moot because of one thing on a website (when, BTW, the rest of the website actually backs ME up), is quite frankly up there with the thickest you have ever been. As I say, maybe if you'd seen more of it you'd understand? I mean, don't like the fact I've been around Alton and Alton adverts constantly since from years before Air have any effect on which of us is correct on this issue... they put it with a Pirate Ship in the thrills section - the past 6 years of adverts and slogans are moot - THIS is what matters. Clearly. Well done. Slap on the back.

Yeah, I screwed up yesterday. Go to my last post and just TRY and dispute the evidence I've laid out for you there. It's bolded, as per your sarcasm. You may want to note the part about these two "little words" you, by the way, didn't use.

Seriously UC, I know before you've been like a dog with a bone even when you know you're wrong, but this is going just a little bit beyond that into a little realm called desperation.

Ben

CF Legend
Yes UC...

I've got a task for you - find me one person that agrees with you that Air is marketed as a thrill ride and not as a relaxing, flying experience. I'm afraid you won't be able to, so until that point, I, with the rest of the enthusiast community on my side, am right. Me. Think it. The person who actually has knowledge and experience of a coaster is right about it compared to the person who has never been within 1000 miles of it, or its advertisement.

Oh, and btw, I think what probably had the biggest traffic was the mass TV, radio... bloody cereal packets campaign they did when it opened - the one that insisted on it being a 'flying experience'.

You can go on and on about the category it's in on the website - that means **** all. Did you stop to think maybe it's there because of, I don't know, height restriction, or that it's not actually a "family" coaster like the next section down would suggest it is, but, that doesn't mean it's a thrill coaster. So, instead of making a whole new section (maybe, "coasters that aren't thrilling, but also aren't family section") they stuck it there hoping no-one would be thick enough to ignore EVERYTHING else they say about it. Funny you actually mention the traffic issue... maybe these people possess an attention span and manage to get past the first word unlike you?

Bottom line actually is, you didn't use those two words like you claimed you had. I read your post. Then, giving you the benefit of the doubt, even let my computer try and pick the words out. Ooops... weren't there. Sorry. And yes, you can hold my hand while I read it, only so I can then take it, and thrust it even further up your own arse then your head already is.

Mark

Strata Poster
Oh you two are fabulous, like a little married couple... Must be that time of the month.

You could argue that the word "thrill" could still be applied though: IE the "thrill" of flying. It doesn't have to mean that it is super fast and so forth.

So the argument about whether this coaster is going to be thrilling or not is a bit of a mute point anyways. Since we have no idea what kind of thrill they are referring to. It has just said it will be thrilling. That could mean absolutely anything.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
Ben said:
I've got a task for you - find me one person that agrees with you that Air is marketed as a thrill ride and not as a relaxing, flying experience. I'm afraid you won't be able to, so until that point, I, with the rest of the enthusiast community on my side, am right. Me. Think it. The person who actually has knowledge and experience of a coaster is right about it compared to the person who has never been within 1000 miles of it, or its advertisement.

I Agree with him!!! owned But you two should stop. It's pathetic, arguing over a title AT gave ride *shakes head in dissapoitment*

-CA

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Doing a bit more price comparison work, and it turns out that Alton towers could use half the money for themeing and landscaping work, and still have enough to buy Voyage, Fahrenheit or Balder.

The reason that Saw - The Ride will be so expensive is that it is being built on reclaimed land, and that never comes cheaply, and as such it's a poor comparison.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
You know what could be cool, .. a partially underground woodie.
Think Balder in a 100 ft deep pit like Nemesis. That would be a worlds first... sorta.

Dave

CF Legend
photoecri-Quoi.jpg

Sums up most the arguments in this topic.

marc

CF Legend
Stone Cold said:
Doing a bit more price comparison work, and it turns out that Alton towers could use half the money for themeing and landscaping work, and still have enough to buy Voyage, Fahrenheit or Balder.

The reason that Saw - The Ride will be so expensive is that it is being built on reclaimed land, and that never comes cheaply, and as such it's a poor comparison.

I was saying the same thing in another topic before :)

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
You could buy one hell of a lot of land prep for £6m you know, so these are valid comparisons in terms of costs.

My point was that very well regarded rides (Balder), multi-inversion coasters with unusual elements (Fahrenheit) and huge, intense custom coasters (Voyage) are all achievable within the Alton Towers budget.

This ride is said to be a world's first, thus by it's very nature comparisons are hard to come by, but we could still get a large layout - the unique feature could be in the trains, which would still allow for an epic Voyage sized track (although Staffordshire County Council disallow it!).

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Any marketing that may suggest Air it's a thrill coaster is only because of the 1.4m height restriction and is seen on park maps and such. Everywhere else it is marketed as a gentle, flying experiance ride for people who don't really like roller coasters.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Can we please stop talking about Air marketing now? Nothing's happening to Air. Open up a new Air thread to argue in if you like.

Ultimate Coaster said:
I think most of us generally agree by this point that this "world's first" ride isn't going to be made of wood.
I've not entirely given up on the idea, we just don't know, but it does seem unlikely.

With so much of UgLand being taken out, I'm wondering if they'll go for a full area re-theme as well (Rita never properly fitted in anyway).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
We asked the PR lady a few things.

First I asked who was Russell Barnes' replacement. Immediate - we don't know yet.
Then, what is the new ride? Immediate - we don't know yet.
Then, Are you going to retheme Ugland? Long pause as she thought - I don't know.

It sounded very much like a "I can't say no comment, because that as good as confirms it. I can't confirm it, so must lie. What can I say which will sound good? I know, I'll say the same as I did the last couple of questions" type of pause :)

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I thought PR were meant to be good at lying?

Should have asked Barnes who his replacement will be :p.

Since retheming what's left wouldn't cost that much, it would make sense to do it and proclaim a whole "new" area in the marketing, especially as it's turning into a thrill area.

Status
Not open for further replies.