What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jools

Giga Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
I wouldn't say I was 'boxing it up' by assuming we will know the manufacturer/design before construction begins.

That's just how it normally plays out with these things.

Thinking back to the '97 season... Does anyone know if any of Oblivion's track was visible to park guests late in the season or was the above ground stuff all built in the winter?

Also about Corky's inversions, they are just being kept to display right?

They could see the supports but the track was always hidden from view.

A

Anonymous

The flags could be for trucks to park for when they move parts of corky.

Mark

Strata Poster
I doubt very very highly that the inversions from Corky are going to be used in the track for the new coaster.

Seriously, why go and get a brand new coaster and then chuck in 2 28 year old corkscrews instead of just getting new ones.

Not only that, the people we were talking to at the Corky event were very clear that they still have not decided what they are going to be doing with the "screws". They want to keep them but haven't decided what to do with them. I guess you could argue that is because they want to keep it secret but that just really doesn't sit well. It just sounds ludicrous.

In terms of the construction process if anything UGland would be completely be closed off in order to have the whole area to work with. That all depends on how late they leave vertical construction though and of course, just how secretive they will be being next year and during the lead up to completion.

Mark

Strata Poster
I think that if the "screws" are going to be used in any form it would be as part of the theming on the new coaster!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
As they're getting planning permission, I think that they'll make something of a show of building the ride next year. They can't hide the layout or anything, so they'll make a lot of the dirt piles and stuff to try and get people to work out the manufacturer :)

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Jewls1993 said:
Coaster-Fiend said:
I wouldn't say I was 'boxing it up' by assuming we will know the manufacturer/design before construction begins.

That's just how it normally plays out with these things.

Thinking back to the '97 season... Does anyone know if any of Oblivion's track was visible to park guests late in the season or was the above ground stuff all built in the winter?

Also about Corky's inversions, they are just being kept to display right?

They could see the supports but the track was always hidden from view.

Not true, If you go onto youtube and search for building Oblivion they show some Coaster enthusiasts by the building site looking at the track and identifying it as B&M.

marc

CF Legend
I was just saying it would be easy to cover up what they are building.

Planning permission in March, agreed in June/July, close Rita in September and then no one will see what is being built as no one could get into the area.

Mark

Strata Poster
So they submit planning permission in March, we can expect a decision around June/July maybe?

How long does planning permission normally take for this sort of thing? Either way, the plans will be visible to the public yes? Although, as I think about it, do rides for that area need publicly announced planning permission. I distinctly remember there be nothing whatsoever in terms of plans being readily available for Rita. Everyone was looking at the apparent plans for the Booster Bike. It was around this time that someone also mentioned that some areas of Alton don't actually need planning permisson.

Then when do they start vertical construction.

So we have the two options...

1) Start ASAP as to get the people gawking and the construction pages online flowing. Slowly revealing exactly what they are up to? Although this would mean some downtime of Rita, surely? Cranes and all that around would see to that.

2) Wait until off season and get the job done very quickly?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
They already have the go-ahead-thats why they are boasting about it-they know exactly what its like, and has been in the pipeline for a while

marc

CF Legend
So why did Barnes say they will not be submitting planning permission until March 2009?

Of course they know what they are getting, but the rest of the world will not know until March.

Then it depends if they get their plans allowed.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
I don't think they have planning permission yet. This I think is a factor behind the big send off for corkscrew. By creating an expectation with the public of a big ride for 2010, maybe the local council/residents will find it harder to justify throwing the coaster out. That wouldn't stop Roperesque die-hards from having a go, but those were not too strongly opposed might not care so much about it.

As for construction. The biggest problem is the amount of dirt this ride is likely to throw up if any large scale excavation is required, that would possibly require Ugland to close to avoid guest discomfort. Otherwise, I'm sure the parts away from RITA could be built during the season and the rest in the week from September onwards, with RITA opening at weekends if necessary.

spicy

Giga Poster
Maybe they might temporarily construct Rita on the big bit of land in front of the Towers so that they have better access to Ugland for the new coaster.

:wink:

Mark said:
How long does planning permission normally take for this sort of thing? Either way, the plans will be visible to the public yes? Although, as I think about it, do rides for that area need publicly announced planning permission. I distinctly remember there be nothing whatsoever in terms of plans being readily available for Rita. Everyone was looking at the apparent plans for the Booster Bike. It was around this time that someone also mentioned that some areas of Alton don't actually need planning permisson.

Yep I remember that, in fact I am almost 100% sure that within the Ugland area AT don't need planning permission, within reason obviously.

However if this coaster is of the size that we are thinking and going into the woodland next to Rita then they may have to remove trees etc which of course they will have to get planning permission for, Rita however did not need planning permission, thats why it was such a last minute installation.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
I just saw a video of the robocoaster, I really hope that's not it.

It's like a thrill-less version of the S&S Arrow 4D coaster.

Dave

CF Legend
If you want an unreliable piece of untested coaster that is a Robocoaster is exactly what you want ;)

Mark

Strata Poster
And anyways; Isn't Robocoaster under an exclusivity deal for Islands of Adventure and their Harry Potter land?????

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Russell Barnes said in an interview with BBC that it will be a world first, and like the other SW rides-exciting and intense

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
blaze123 said:
Russell Barnes said in an interview with BBC that it will be a world first, and like the other SW rides-exciting and intense

Errr, like Air?

Seriously, don't try and read too much into what he said. He going to say all sorts of things when he's on the news to get the GP interested. We won't have any idea what this might be for a while yet.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
TarkaTrax said:
blaze123 said:

Errr, like Air?

Seriously, don't try and read too much into what he said. He going to say all sorts of things when he's on the news to get the GP interested. We won't have any idea what this might be for a while yet.

Heheh, I was just about to say that.

AIR is about as exciting/intense as Sunday lunch at my grandparents.

Still, tho I have always derided it because of this, I guess it is pretty unique.

I think I'll buy my first ORP next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.