What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly, you're looking at almost double the cost of a UK installation compared with US :(

So we can't expect anything to massive :(

I was trying to impress on people yesterday though the actual size they're playing with. With Ugland ripped out and Ug Swinger gone - there's an absolutely amount of space to play with.

Also, Barnes is very careful in his wording. Worlds first ride "of it's type". That to me suggests not a new type of ride, but instead a new variation on a current ride type. So a (let's throw it in, but only as an example) B&M launched coaster would fit, even if it was just a sit down looper. Both have been done before just never together by that one manufacturer. So really, don't scratch your heads too hard looking for something never seen before - chances are it's something already out there, just not done by a particular manufacturer...

Slayed

Hyper Poster
It's not $25m at today's exchange rate! $19m if you're lucky, but I take your point.

As for B&M, the GP don't care who builds it, the new feature has to be a more distinctive concept than that for them to promote it.

Still, I'd love a woodie, just can't see a "world's first" angle for one.

It's also interesting that they're giving themselves an entire year to build it. Groundworks maybe?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
southend_marc said:
As its been said before B&M are meant to be giving details of their new coaster concept tomorrow and I am betting thats what Alton will be getting.

I did not know Alton will not be putting in planning permission until March 2009.

Damn, lets hope so! :shock: :--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Subterranean wooden coaster by B&M with a launch! Wow! Cracked it! ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Backwards Launched 4D Strata. Simple as. Underground, of course. And it will go into the Ropers' garden just to piss them off.

But a new B&M concept tomorrow? Wow, who moved Christmas Eve?

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Its a possibility but that would be such a lame claim to a worlds first coaster, worst than X:\NWO's :lol:

I got a feeling it's going to be a 'proper' worlds first due to the fact that Barnes keeps mentioning it, surely if it was a rubbish worlds first like X:\NWO you wouldn't keep saying it?

marc

CF Legend
B&M have always said they would not do a launched coaster though, Universal had to get that part on Hulk built else where.

Yes Furie we were looking as well, Ug land is quite large. Its just a shame Rita is in the way, its going to be hard to go about it due to the height limit so they either go around it on under.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'd love another B&M, but can see a Gerstlauer being installed :(

I really, REALLY hope it's something mindblowing though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
spicy said:
I got a feeling it's going to be a 'proper' worlds first due to the fact that Barnes keeps mentioning it, surely if it was a rubbish worlds first like X:\NWO you wouldn't keep saying it?

It doesn't matter... It's part of the hype machine. The entire Corkscrew farewell was an excuse to get the public to hear about the new big ride.

It's in the public eye right now, and it will die away - the actual news of what the ride will be will have much less press coverage than the Corkscrew event, but that's okay.

You see, in 2010, people will be cramming in to see the new coaster at Alton. They've not head anythnig about it between now and then, and all they know is:

1. at the Corkscrew event they said "big, exciting, worlds first".
2. 2010 and there is a new ride - so it must meet the above conditions.

The public work only on vague principles of what is going on around them that they don't have a real interest in. So they don't care about details, or following the news closely - they just capture snippets here and there and make the rest up for themselves :)

So this publicity is all for their benefit - does Russell Barnes really give a stuff if we get excited and **** off over a new B&M prototype, or look sad and disappointed at a 110 degree Eurofighter? No, he doesn't, the public will always think it's superb because some time ago somebody important said it was going to be.

To get a grasp of this, the girl from Dune FM (Southport's radio station) was chatting to us a bit. She knew that the Cyclone was demolished, then said "I think Traumatizer has gone too". This girl works in local media for Southport, and missed a hundred foot coaster being removed from the sea front of her town, and put up in Blackpool. People generally just don't care about things, so only vaguely know what is going on around them - hence why Blackpool could get away with Infusion as a new ride.

I'm not saying people are stupid, just picky about what they want to know about. I know nothing about football for instance, stuff anyone with a degree of interest in football would think I should know inside out. I know some names and stuff, but I couldn't join in a conversation about it in the slightest. Couldn't even tell you who was in what league or who won what cups. Yet this is big news stuff, I just don't care enough to really pay it any heed. At a push, some facts may come back to me, but generally, I'm as oblivious as the public will be over what this new ride actually is - most won't have a clue until they ride the thing...

Smithy

Strata Poster
The only thing with that Furie, is wouldn't that result in them losing a bit of return custom for the following year?

As most of the people there yesterday were enthusiasts, they know a lot more than most would about the ride, the possibilities etc...

Yet if as you say they'll return for 2010 to ride the big new ride, surely that'll turn away visitors who will wait a year before going back again? I know I'm not going back to FL until they get a woody, and not going back to Alton until they get this ride :p

Reading back what I just wrote, I have no idea what my point is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think you're saying that people won't go next year, but 2010 instead. :)

However, this is Alton Towers, not Flamingoland - people (generally families) go there anyway as their yearly trip out. Places like FL, DMP, etc get more local traffic as an addition to Alton. It's one of those tradition things.

Thing is, on to four years without a major coaster addition, most people likely to 'leave it a year' aren't going to go back next year anyway due to nothnig new being installed. So Alton are on a loser next year no matter what - just fingers crossed that the Sea Life makes guests think they've had value for money.

They need to get the hype machine ramped up for 2010, and this weekend just gone was the first of the wheels in motion, which we'll start to see being followed up over the next 18 months - with a big bang next winter I imagine...

Emmett

Giga Poster
furie said:
To get a grasp of this, the girl from Dune FM (Southport's radio station) was chatting to us a bit. She knew that the Cyclone was demolished, then said "I think Traumatizer has gone too". This girl works in local media for Southport, and missed a hundred foot coaster being removed from the sea front of her town, and put up in Blackpool. People generally just don't care about things, so only vaguely know what is going on around them - hence why Blackpool could get away with Infusion as a new ride.

Love to have seen her face when you told her it was up in Blackpool now. She probably got mixed up too with Storm and its copied colour scheme from TraumaTizer. Just stick in another coaster and paint it the same, and you could probably fool alot of people.

Mark

Strata Poster
I was just going to say actually, I presume planning permission will be going in soon enough.... I'm actually surprised it hasn't already. Either way, they must be pretty confident that it will be approved what with Corkie now going and so on.

With that in mind we will probably start seeing some form of work starting mid season 09? I wouldn't be surprised if Ugland is closed throughout either. Considering they may have to close Rita in order to access the area to get the parts in and so on? This is only a presumption on my part mind.

Once that construction starts, the hype machine starts...

The question is, will the BEEB and other national media be wanting to follow the story up and report on the new ride. Like you say Phil, to the General Public, it will be just another ride, even if it is a worlds first...

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm willing to bet it'll be majorly hyped up if it is another coaster.

Oblivion and Air were both hyped up quite a lot, I remember seeing a few news articles on them nationally, and Blue Peter specials etc...

I'm willing to guess that they're fairly confident of getting the planning permission, which is also leading me against the woody theory, as didn't the locals complain last time about the noise issue?

Two questions though; Is there any news about where the Corkscrews are going to be placed within the park? And what's this about a B&M announcement being made today?

Mark

Strata Poster
Smithy, its not so much an announcement. They are apparently unveiling their new concept at this years IAAPA. Which I believe starts today or tommorow?

Yeah I know that the guy said March 09 for planning. Just seems odd to potentially start working on the new coaster (IE removing corkscrew) and preparing for it before it has even been approved.

So yes Smithy, I agree. That pushes the Woodie idea even further away. Since I don't think they could ever be that confident about being allowed it until they have it in writing lol.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Basically if it's a new B&M concept major geek-gasm for all of us, and if it's a Euro Fighter or anything lame like that I am going to boil my head.

I doubt AT would close RITA next season seeing as it is currently there most popular ride.

Q- I assume by the start of 2009 season, Corkscrew will be all gone and the ground cleared right?

-Also kinda off topic- why was RITA opened 2005 and not 2006 to keep in with the every four years new coaster thing?

Mark

Strata Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
-Also kinda off topic- why was RITA opened 2005 and not 2006 to keep in with the every four years new coaster thing?

I don't really know but the whole 4 years thing is normally reffered to with the SW name. Rita wasn't a Secret Weopan though. That name is normally reserved for world's firsts or stuff that is a really big deal. I don't think Rita falls under that heading lol.

They might have to take parts of Rita out IF it were to hamper getting the pieces for the new coaster in to the right areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.