What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Patricko

Roller Poster
Well my two cents,

I'm still gambling on a flat appearing sometime in 2009.

I think the station and midway for SW6 will ocupuy the corkscrew site.

I don't think Alton towers will get a eurofighter.

I do think alton towers will deliver a no-expense spaired SW6 on the caliber of nemesis.

I don't think it will be a B&M wooden concept.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
furie said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00f4x61/b00f4x4h/5_live_Drive_29102008/

1hr 51 minutes in Russell Barnes talks about Corkscrew leaving and what is coming in 2010.

Talking about pushing thrill boundaries in 2010 on the site.

Taken from here:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... start=1260

So I'd say it's almost guaranteed to be a Secret Weapon, and the Eurofighter is out of the window :)
Well, he said it will be a world first, so that basically rules out an Intamin mega, with huge amounts of airtime :( (Not that I was expecting it, but still :( )

Anyway it sounds quite good, and lets hope it will be a good ride :)

Dave

CF Legend
If this so called B&M is a world first, then how can it be?
As it can't claim any 4D aspect, unless its this Railgun launch thats been talked about.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's noty confirmed B&M. It could be anything really - lots o fconcepts out there which haven't been built yet by other manufacturers.

Not even 100% guaranteed it will be a coaster - it could just be some kind of stunning new "experience".

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I know! I just had a vision!

OK. It looks like this:

You enter via an underground tunnel. The entire Corkscrew site is dug out, leaving a huge underground dome about as large as a football stadium, with huge marble coloumns going from the dark and unlit floor, to the ceiling 120 feet above.
In the middle of the cavern, there is a huge floodlit podium that guests enter via a bridge, leading from an underground tunnel. The bridge is an impressive sight, looking as if it's carved out of the rock face itself.
The podium is nicely decorated, with gilded grandstands overlooking the coaster in the middle.
This coaster. (link)

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
World first ey? That's interesting.

If Blackpool had said that, I would think nothing of it, but Alton? Last World First they had was Oblivion, they're not going to bluff something as something that it isn't.

It obviously won't be tall though, especially where the Corckscrew is. So anything tall and mighty is completely out of the question, even more so than other areas of the park.

But, like furie said, there hasn't even been anything said about a roller coaster. Just some mental machine which is going to arrive in 2010. But I would've thought it wouldn've been a roller coaster personally. Much more marekt, possibilities, and roller coasters are much more timeless than flat and dark rides. An awsome roller coaster will live forever, the others get much more dated over time.

I'm praying for wood, but I doubt it. But whatever it is, it's going to be incredible I'm sure.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ It was the worlds first decent flying rollercoaster (B&M)

Surely if this is labelled SW6 then thats as good as confirming it as a coaster?

I am still hoping for a woodie, however what's world first about a wooden rollercoaster?

Not alot so that has sort ruined that rumour, unless it has some sort of world's first element to it.

Whatever it is I think it is going to be the best new addition we have seen in the UK for a while, the AT director on the radio seemed pretty excited about the whole project which is encouraging.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Wooden Invert? :p

No chance.

I'm expecting a coaster, I think it's time for Alton Towers to push the boundaries and really deliver something unique and incredible.

Then again, I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting. Some new concept from Gertlauer possibly, but that's not what I really want.

I guess I'll just have to see, like the rest you will.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Do anyone reckon we will see a "next generation" of something? Like, the Giant Inverted Boomerangs, that supposedly overshadow the original Invertigos completely, SheiKra that took the Dive Machine to the skies, or the Intamin P'n'Ps, that own the original Intamin coasters?

Could this be the Standup resurrected, the Pipeline that could have saved Arrow from bankrupcy, or the Suspended coaster remastered?

It's easier to modify old technology than inventing new one, and to be honest, I think we're running out of new concepts now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I hadn't thought of that.

Redeveloping an old idea with new technology could really be a good place to start. It could unlock several really cool concepts.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Launched Woodie?

Nah. I don't think we'll see another launched at Alton, plus the fact it's so close to Rita as it is.

Don't forget. "World's first" isn't always a new coaster concept. Could be a new inversion, or some new technology that no-one really cares about.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm willing to bet that Batwing beats the living piss out of Air when you match them up directly.

It does. It really, really does.

BUT, the angle they were pulling with Air was less ride quality and more that the Vekomas are "lie-down". I don't buy it, but it can work.

Slash

Giga Poster
^ Never heard of batwing but air was meant to feel like flying, nothing else, it wasn't meant to be intense or anything like that, that's why it only has two inversions

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
This is all pretty exciting stuff now that Corkscrew is getting taken down...

My feelings- AT needs a new coaster, anything else is lame.

I'd love to see a B&M- Floorless or multi looper, or even an out and back... but all these options are pretty unlikely due to space/height restrictions. :( Unless of course any excavations are to be done, which would be hella cool. But a worlds first? Returning Alton to the heights of the 90's glory days? I'll buy that.

After any possible B&M goodness, a wooden coaster Intamin Pre Fab would be tasty. Of course the situation with a woodie or a B&M, is that if they were to use some of the valley drop before UG Land to build the ride on, you could have something with a big drop and a really long ride too, who knows.

Finally the worst case scenario would be another Euro Fighter... Surely Merlin would not do that? ...
two in two parks? How lame would that be.. PLEASSE NOOOO!!!!!!!!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Worst case scenario is a Reverchon Spinner, I'd say. I'd rather have nothing at all than that.

And as for terrain woodies, Prowler will be one of the tallest GCIs around. Even though it's low to the ground, the lifthill is almost 32 meters tall (more than a hundred feet). TBD (To Be Decided, If I'm not mistaken) at Erlebnispark Forellenhof Plohn is a bit more modest with 80.5 feet, but still, would Alton be allowed to install a that tall lifthill?

Status
Not open for further replies.