What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
^If it's below the tree tops I don't see why not, tho that monster wood that was planned for 2003 got denied for some reason unknown to myself. .

AT seem to be saying they are going to bring a worlds first to the park in 2010.
If that turns out to be true, and it's a coaster then it will be awesome.

That's what AT used to be all about- Amazing worlds first coasters which provided a completely unique experience often brought about by the restrictions on building above the treeline.

spicy

Giga Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
^If it's below the tree tops I don't see why not, tho that monster wood that was planned for 2003 got denied for some reason unknown to myself.

It was planned for 2005 and it was never denied AT pulled the plans.

By the AT director claiming this is going to be a world's first it has basically put the final nail in the coffin of any hope we had of actually seeing that wooden monster built as there was nothing world's first about it I believe.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
What about a worlds first woodie built in the valley of a theme park? .... ok that's a bit of a stretch, scratch that, not really a worlds first.

Anyway, a worlds first?
That's gotta be a more attractive prospect.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think the World's first trend has died out now, its getting cliche for parks to advertise first's.

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
Ormerod said:
I think the World's first trend has died out now, its getting cliche for parks to advertise first's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7713643.stm

It would seem Alton disagree with you!

The guy speaking in that video specifically mentions that it will be replaced in 2010 with a 'world first' and he also aluded to it fitting in with the tradition of Alton's existing coasters - and he said coasters, not rides.

He doesn't say it directly, but he says in a roundabout way that there will be a world's first coaster on Corky's site in 2010.

And I have not even the faintest idea what it might be :lol:

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Alton may disagree, but as long as a ride is good it should'nt matter if it's a World first :p

Adding a new concept is taking a risk. Fortunately for Alton , it's worked more than twice!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Barnes' legacy will be something huge I think. I discussed this with some people today though.

The problem is that their 'firsts' are poor. They install prototypes, and then some years later they are expanded and used as the base template for much bigger and better rides.

Will we get another 'lame' air, or 'one trick pony' Oblivion? Or will they make an effort and create another Nemesis?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Furie- AIR was lame indeed, but come on, Oblivion, while it has been expended upon and perhaps improved in the Busch coasters, is still an awesome ride.

Swat

Hyper Poster
I think Alton will have to do something like they did with Nemesis because of the space and height issues. But the whole world first is not as appealing as say worlds biggest or fastest. As said before Alton build the first but then other parks that have the space and less restrictions take that ride concept and expand it. I would love another Nemesis or Oblivion." Well we will see, Bring on 2010.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Coaster-Fiend said:
Furie- AIR was lame indeed, but come on, Oblivion, while it has been expended upon and perhaps improved in the Busch coasters, is still an awesome ride.

I agree - Oblivion is firmly in my top five! However, imagine if it had been Sheikra as the first???

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Because of the BBC report we know what we're looking at now. Can anyone think of unvieled coaster concepts that have not yet been built? For example (and i'm by no means saying that it'll be this): the RoboCoaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster
The only thing with a woody, is what can it do that hasn't been done before?

I hope that when they say that it'll be innovative as such, it will be more so Nemesis' style in terms of themeing around a woody, rather than a prototype which, as Furie says, goes and getrs bettered a year later.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
The Staffordshire Sentinel said:
ALTON Towers has promised thrill-seekers a new £12 million ride to replace the Corkscrew
So it's a £12 million price tag? Big but not massive, wonder how much of that is theming (considering whatever they do has to co-exist with Rita, maybe not much),

Driving back last night, the only new concept I could come up with was a vertical launch - has that been done yet? Keeping it inside a tunnel would keep the noise down.

marc

CF Legend
Your right £12 million is not that much really, but if its a worlds first maybe they will get the ride cheaper.

I dont think it will be a launch coaster due to the fact Rita is right there.

But the more and more we hear its going to be the worlds first it just says no woody.

As its been said before B&M are meant to be giving details of their new coaster concept tomorrow and I am betting thats what Alton will be getting.

I did not know Alton will not be putting in planning permission until March 2009.

peely

Roller Poster
What about a B&M woodie? Maybe they have decided at last to compete with the other woody manufacturers out there? Especially Intamin P&Ps

That would certainly be a worlds first if that happened!

spicy

Giga Poster
Slayed said:
Driving back last night, the only new concept I could come up with was a vertical launch - has that been done yet? Keeping it inside a tunnel would keep the noise down.

Nope, Space Mountain at DLP is the only coaster in the world to have an up hill launch but it is no where near vertical.

I doubt it would be that though, if it was a vertical launch it would have to be a pretty tall structure, no way would Alton be able to build something like that.

If you look there is actually a huge amount of land to the side of Corkscrew.

They could actually fit a pretty big layout in there so I am very optimistic for this project but I still don't really have a clue to what it could be.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
£12 million? That's $25,000,000. To compare:

- Alpengeist ($20,000,000)
- Millennium Force ($25,000,000)
- TTD ($25,000,000)
- Griffon ($15,600,000)
- Behemoth ($22,500,000)
- Maverick ($21,000,000)
- iSpeed ($19,200,000)
- Balder ($10,000,000)
- Kawasemi ($14,600,000)
- Wicked Twister ($9,000,000)
- Atlantis Adventure ($29,200,000)

You can get a quite big ride for 12 million pounds.

^^^Gerstlauer has a vertical launch on their new launched coaster models. And we shouldn't forget Zierer's Towers launchers either ($10,000,000). But I see what you mean. Both those launch horizontal first, before the vertical launch.

^^The GP aren't dumb enough to think that a B&M woodie would be unique in any way. The manufacturer has nothing to say when the entire concept has been used before.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
furie said:
Coaster-Fiend said:

I agree - Oblivion is firmly in my top five! However, imagine if it had been Sheikra as the first???

Me too :--D , I know what you mean about Sheikra.

Well, .. if it had an inversion that would have been something, but I think the hole in the ground that Oblivion passes through saves it from novelty of just being the first DM.

None of the others do that, and while it does take away from the height/intimidation factor, it does make the ride one of a kind.

If indeed SW6 is to be a worlds first, I REALLY hope AT can think outside of the box to create a coaster that will standout as being great long after it's successors in other parks have opened. Like Nemesis, only Nemesis was not the first Invert.

Another AIR would suck.
Still, you gotta be optimistic and pumped about the news.
I AM!

Status
Not open for further replies.