What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
The only worlds first I can think of that would fit perfectly in the area is the robocoaster on tracks. I aint saying thats what its gonna be, but it's one of the only things we know of that hasn't been built yet.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^^ yeah, a robocoaster could fit in with a race car factory theme or something like that, if they plan to retheme the area based on Rita.

Mark

Strata Poster
Can we clear up this Robocoaster discussion a second, because the last I heard I was left with the distinct impression that the technology had been signed into an exclusivity deal with Universal. Presumably for the new Harry Potter area.

UC, you are most likely to know about this? Can you clear it up for us?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Yeah, I think that has already been stated..

About that HP Robocoaster- is that a 2010 release?
I can't find it on rcdb.

The promo vid looks horrible.
Such is the nature of the train design, it seems the layout has to be quite basic.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
INVERTED EURO FIGHTER!!! lol, Why are we talking about that boring looking robo coaster, they're only playing with 12million here, and they payed 12 million for air, but prices of metal and stuff has gone up, so don't expect anything super huge, or anythnig epic awsome like nemesis (which coast 8 mill). RCDB on alton towers looks very lonely with the corckscrew not in existing rollercoasters :(

-CA

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
coasteraddict10 said:
INVERTED EURO FIGHTER!!! lol, Why are we talking about that boring looking robo coaster, they're only playing with 12million here, and they payed 12 million for air, but prices of metal and stuff has gone up, so don't expect anything super huge, or anythnig epic awsome like nemesis (which coast 8 mill). RCDB on alton towers looks very lonely with the corckscrew not in existing rollercoasters :(

-CA

Dude, with 12 mill that is more than enough to build a badass big size coaster. Personally I am expecting something awesome, so is every enthusiast in the UK. Don't forget that the economic crisis could factor into reducing the price. Also the UK is really expensive compared to other countries, but the current financial situation could affect this. Coasters for equivalent size sometimes get built for almost half the price in USA.

About SW6- I think the Robocoaster looks crap, but we know it won't be that. Along with a new B&M concept, I think I'd also just as much like to see an S&S Arrow 4D, but then I have not been on one and I understand that they can be quite rough.

marc

CF Legend
As I said before the exchange rate does not work.

An Ipod in the USA is $150 in the UK its £350. It just doe not add up.

We over here have different costs, plus the metal is not made in the UK so it have to be shipping in so again we pay for that. From what I understand B&M for example have a place in the USA that can make the supports.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Coasters for equivalent size sometimes get built for almost half the price in USA.

What? Like what?

From what I hear, the only reason certain rides cost more over there is because of the site preparation or theming it has.

I find it very hard to believe that B&M charges twice as much for a coaster in the U.K. as they would (converted, of course, to U.S. dollars and vice versa to Pounds) for a coaster in the U.S.A.

The raw numbers may be different, but the actual converted cost shouldn't be.

I'm somewhat under the effects of alcohol right now, heh.

BUT,- it is a fact that this country (UK) is more expensive in terms of general retail than USA.

I think I was thinking of Nemesis/Oblivion, forgetting that half the total cost was spent on excavations.

I still think to build a B&M over here is slightly more expensive than to build it in USA.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I think its something to do with transportation costs? As most Coaster Companies HQ's in Europe aren't in the UK so theres extra shipping costs.
It is true what he said though, look at the cost of some coasters on RCDB in USA compared to UK its mental.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
blaze123 said:
It wont be-its going to be exciting and intense
Ultimate Coaster said:
You know this how?
Ultimate coaster said:
blaze123 said:
Russell Barnes said in an interview with BBC that it will be a world first, and like the other SW rides-exciting and intense

I don't see "exciting and intense" quoted anywhere from Barnes.

Are we reading a bit too far into this, perhaps?

Use your head.

Actually, why not use yours a bit. This ride will be exciting and intense, I base this on the fact that there is going to be lots of speculation (and there already has been) which is exciting (and arguably intense!), not to mention that it's going to be a world first, which is an exciting prospect in itself, even if the ride is a misfire, having a new concept is going to be an exciting proposition.

Secondly, we know Alton are aiming this ride at the thrill seekers, as proven by the interview that Russell Barnes did on the radio posted no page 18 by Furie. Thus, it's not a stretch to imagine that it'll be thrilling, which is just another way of saying intense.

Secondly, going away from proveable facts for a minute, it's a bit obvious to say this ride is going to be exciting and intense, but it's still a fair point, what do you think this ride will be, lifeless and insipid? All the signs point to this as being a thrill coaster, unlike Air and Spinball Whizzer, which to a greater extent were not about thrill (but feeling of flight and family fun respectively).

This is one of the few remaining sites Alton Towers has to build something big, they are going to use this oppurtunity, I know that often parks do replace like for like, but Alton Towers have installed a fair few family rides recently and this ride will definitely be for the big kids.

The question now is, how much coaster can you get for £12m? Well that depends entirely how good you are at shopping for coasters! Tussauds are quite good at discounts for buying in bulk (Maurer Sohne spinners). Even if Alton Towers were just to buy "off the shelf" as it were, they'd still get change from £12m if they bought iSpeed, or Diamondback, or Mammut AND Kawasemi, or Terminator: The Coaster, twice!

Obviously, most of those wouldn't work in Alton Towers, and any excavation is going to increase the price, but there is plenty of scope for large, innovative and thrilling rides, which is exactly where the evidence is pointing.[/url]

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

I'm sure there are minor price differences because of factors like transportation and other "project specific" costs - but my point is that there's no way in hell you're going to have a difference to the point of a coaster costing twice as much in the UK as it would in the US.

Like I said,- I think I was getting mixed up with stuff like Oblivion costing 12mil sterling back in 98 forgetting the excavation costs.

It does cost more over here tho. :wink:

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Stone Cold said:
blaze123 said:
It wont be-its going to be exciting and intense
Ultimate Coaster said:
You know this how?
Ultimate coaster said:
blaze123 said:
Russell Barnes said in an interview with BBC that it will be a world first, and like the other SW rides-exciting and intense

I don't see "exciting and intense" quoted anywhere from Barnes.

Are we reading a bit too far into this, perhaps?

Use your head.

Actually, why not use yours a bit. This ride will be exciting and intense, I base this on the fact that there is going to be lots of speculation (and there already has been) which is exciting (and arguably intense!), not to mention that it's going to be a world first, which is an exciting prospect in itself, even if the ride is a misfire, having a new concept is going to be an exciting proposition.

Secondly, we know Alton are aiming this ride at the thrill seekers, as proven by the interview that Russell Barnes did on the radio posted no page 18 by Furie. Thus, it's not a stretch to imagine that it'll be thrilling, which is just another way of saying intense.

Secondly, going away from proveable facts for a minute, it's a bit obvious to say this ride is going to be exciting and intense, but it's still a fair point, what do you think this ride will be, lifeless and insipid? All the signs point to this as being a thrill coaster, unlike Air and Spinball Whizzer, which to a greater extent were not about thrill (but feeling of flight and family fun respectively).

This is one of the few remaining sites Alton Towers has to build something big, they are going to use this oppurtunity, I know that often parks do replace like for like, but Alton Towers have installed a fair few family rides recently and this ride will definitely be for the big kids.

The question now is, how much coaster can you get for £12m? Well that depends entirely how good you are at shopping for coasters! Tussauds are quite good at discounts for buying in bulk (Maurer Sohne spinners) or by working with the coaster company to develop new products thus saving costs.

Even if Alton Towers were just to buy "off the shelf" as it were, they'd still get change from £12m if they bought iSpeed, or Diamondback, or Mammut AND Kawasemi, or Terminator: The Coaster, twice!

Obviously, most of those wouldn't work in Alton Towers, and any excavation is going to increase the price, but there is plenty of scope for large, innovative and thrilling rides, which is exactly where the evidence is pointing.[/url]

Exactly.
12 mill is more than enough for a big thrilling coaster, despite this country being a rip off.

Personally I'm expecting the second coming.
It's been 10 years since the last awesome ride at AT.

marc

CF Legend
I would not think it would be double. Say a coaster costs £15 million pounds in the USA we would probably pay £20 million. I have used pounds as I think its easier than using dollars if you know what I mean.

When they say a coaster costs £20 million though that is including all the land work and planning permission. Please dont get me wrong here but from what I have seen a lot of new coasters in the USA are on flat ground , I might be wrong but thats how it seems. I know Tatsu is different btw.

Also the UK is meant to be really bad to build on due to clay, a lot of out land is chalk and clay. The foundations have to be deeper. Thats how it is with buildings so I can only assume its the same with coasters.

marc

CF Legend
Saw has cost 13.5 million, so that shows 12 million is not that much really if you want a top quality coaster.

That 13.5 million probably includes the land fill as well though. The actual coaster probably cost about 5 million.

It all depends really how much land work they need to do to built the new coaster. The land in Ugland is quite flat so maybe they wont need to spend much money on that part.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Since we're on the topic of theming, let's also mention how Oblivion - for all its simplicity - cost a bundle on theming alone, and SAW is being built more than $12 million.

You mean 12 million Sterling :wink:, which is 20 million plus US dollars.
SAW is costing 13.5 million Sterling. I'm guessing a lot of this total cost is down to land reclamation and the large station and interior themeing.

Oblivion cost 12 mill sterling, half of that will have been excavation costs.

If you look at Nemesis Inferno that cost 6 million sterling.
I think this is a good idea of the cost to install a coaster in the UK if there is little land preparation.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Yea... the plot is an ok size but you can't build above the treeline so they have to be creative.
Unless excavations are done on the site it's hard to see how any kind of decent drop could be housed.

...The treeline is about 70ft in that area.

What's interesting tho, is that the adjacent wave swinger has also been removed to accommodate the new ride and there is speculation that the nearby north side of the valley may be used too.
So it seems that the ride could cover a large area, and if the valley face is built upon that could contain a sizeable drop. Who knows..

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
Air was/is marketed as a thrill ride.

http://www.altontowers.com/pages/theme-park/thrills

That's what you get when you click "Thrill Seekers" and then "Metal Monsters."

No. It's not. Read the link?

Float, swoop, soar and dive. Feel the exhilaration of being weightless. You're flying

That is a bit different to how they describe their actual thrill rides...

This intense ride takes you over rivers of blood and rock, the incredible force will leave you breathless.

Celebrate Oblivion 10th birthday, by facing your fears. You know you shouldn't look down, but you won't be able to stop yourself taking a peak at the colossal vertical drop.

Hold onto your eyeballs as you're catapulted at tremendous speed, reaching 0 -100 in 2.5 seconds. You will come off tingling with excitement.

Advertising, merchandise, announcements, press work... they ALL talk about Air as an 'experience' as 'flying'... as the non-thrill ride it is.

Maybe if you'd actually been anywhere near the coaster (like we have) instead of incorrectly reading a website, you'd have a better idea of what you're talking about?

Jeez... I don't know what has happened to you UC, you used to be quite good at reading and posting...

And as for not being thrilling without a hole at 70ft? Maybe not... but who is to say we won't see a hole? Or use of the valley (Ug Swinger HAS gone, and that IS next to the valley, so it's possible).

Oh, it's also possible since it's a World's First that the thrill will be from whatever is unique about it.

I think to try and set this up as another Air after ALL that Alton has been saying about it (very different to what they were saying about Air years ago), is a bit of a wrong route to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.