What's new

Six Flags New England | Wicked Cyclone | RMC Iron Horse

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I think both of the RMC woodies, Goliath and Outlaw Run, use polyurethane wheels and all the Iron Horse conversions, other than Wicked Cyclone, use steel wheels. A quick look at the track gives it away.

Polyurethane wheels:

image.jpg

Steel wheels:

1779067_10152590542058639_5080156880814337632_n.jpg

Of course Outlaw Run's track isn't painted, so it's harder to tell.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Ok I took the time to look and Jerry is correct except for Outlaw Run:

486225_10151282583778566_1214061599_n.jpg

Credit TPR

This photo of Goliath shows urethane:

Goliath_Six_Flags_Great_America-8.jpg

Credit Coastergallery

For good measure, here's Iron Rattler showing urethane:

Iron_Rattler_832587.jpg

Credit some guy on Picshark

I cannot find a good photo of Medusa, but Jerry's photo shows the evidence.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting. I would assume you would use urethane on steel track, just as we find across majority of the steel coaster landscape. Medusa using steel wheels in which case causes intrigue - wonder what gives cause for the different in wheel material? Was it simply due to differences in who was manufacturing the train?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Hyde: If memory serves correctly, RMC trains are the only ones using urethane wheels. That means that all other wooden coasters have steel wheels running on a steel plate.

I cannot think of any reason why RMC would have a preference and it would come down to each park's desired maintenance schedule.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Think you may have read my post wrong - indeed, polyurethane wheels are popular with steel, and steel wheels popular with wood. That's where I was interested on SFMC in using steel on steel.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I talked to SFNE Online and they said Media Day is May 20th and it opens to the public May 22nd. I will be there to get my gold pass on April 19th so I will see what kind of pictures I can get. Can't wait to see it in person!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Wow! A lot happened since this topic was updated!

It's really coming together now. Can't wait to hit up NE and get all of it's creds!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Really looking forward to that large stall, as well as seeing how the train gets around those turns.

At this point, RMC has built 5 fantastic roller coasters, with 2 more on the way (Wildfire would be #3 if permitting can be re-established). With such success, folks will inevitably try to hunt for something that won't work for RMC. Yet the coaster designs seem to be as innovative and well-thought as ever.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Construction update from SFNE Online from Opening day

Link to update:http://sfneonline.org/2015/04/11/wicked-cyclone-construction-update-23/

wickedcycloneupdate23.5-1024x768.jpg

Final Inversion almost done.

wickedcycloneupdate23.22-1024x768.jpg

Lift chain is Installed.

wickedcycloneupdate23.25-1024x768.jpg

The soon-to-be Gift Shop

wickedcyclonestormcenter-1024x590.jpg

What's an unannounced gift shop without renderings? :wink:

cyclonenessmediaday-1024x768.jpg

Before

wickedcycloneupdate23.30-1024x768.jpg

After

image.jpg

Soon-to-be Lockers(This was the old station for the New England SkyWay)

wickedcycloneupdate23.33-1024x768.jpg

First Zero-G roll is taking shape.

wickedcycloneupdate23.37-1024x768.jpg

200* Stall coolness from the inside of the park.

wickedcycloneupdate23.44-1024x768.jpg

Temporary sign

wickedcycloneupdate23.15-1024x768.jpg

What's hopefully the last sections of track needed.

More pictures in above link.

This thing is really looking snazzy. And with TC done, things will really start to pick up the pace.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Chris Coasters said:
I talked to SFNE Online and they said Media Day is May 20th and it opens to the public May 22nd. I will be there to get my gold pass on April 19th so I will see what kind of pictures I can get. Can't wait to see it in person!

Argh spite spite spite spite spite.......Im going to miss it by 1 week :cry:

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I was able to get there yesterday and boy it looks great except for the fact it is surrounded by vekomas. I couldn't get to many good pictures because of the trees and the crap vekomas in the way.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The layout is complete!

Link:http://sfneonline.org/2015/04/19/wicked-cyclone-construction-update-24/

wickedcycloneupdate24.4-1024x768.jpg

The airtime hill was the last element installed.

wickedcycloneupdate24.6-1024x768.jpg

In the background is the Double-Reverse Bank Wave Hill(OH that sounds good).

wickedcycloneupdate24.12-1024x768.jpg

Lift hill action

wickedcycloneupdate24.14-1024x768.jpg

Blue train is in the shed.

wickedcycloneupdate24.43-1024x768.jpg

Double the Zero-G, double the fun!

Remember how you said that the grey looks fab with the orange? Well, here's a section that's done:
wickedcycloneupdate24.35-1024x768.jpg

<3

wickedcycloneupdate24.38-1024x768.jpg

Then more grey fabuliciousness.

wickedcycloneupdate24.2-1024x768.jpg

Words cannot describe the amazingness of this.

Now with both of the RMCs done(well, the track work at least), we should be seeing some testing within a few weeks! Then we'll really see the speed on these babies.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Chris Coasters said:

Whoa, is this definite!?
Huge news, I haven't been able to find anything about it. Now I know when to plan my trip for!

WC does look absolutely amazing. I am stoked.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
JJLehto said:
Chris Coasters said:

Whoa, is this definite!?
Huge news, I haven't been able to find anything about it. Now I know when to plan my trip for!

WC does look absolutely amazing. I am stoked.

I was told that by SFNE Online. I haven't seen a legitimate announcement but they told me as soon as they found out when they were at SFNE a couple weeks back.