What's new

Six Flags New England | Wicked Cyclone | RMC Iron Horse

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
Six Flags New England has uploaded a video to youtube saying ride Cyclone now before it closes on July 20th. Glad to hear something is happening to this ride. Does this mean iron horse for this coaster is a great possibility and the Northeasts first RMC coaster will be open next year?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Cyclone at Six Flags New England Closing July 20th

^ I wouldn't be at all surprised based on what Six Flags has been doing with a bunch of other old woodies. If that's the case, it's great news. SFNE is in desperate need of another decent coaster; their line-up is s**t.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

A little sad for the short-term because I am going to SFNE on the 23rd and last time I remember actually quite enjoying this woodie (probably 2nd fav coaster at the park), but in terms of the long-term I am sure if they do convert it into an RMC coaster, it will be a better ride.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Well, we found out what RMC's second project is for next year, anpther long rumored one.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Wont lie, actually really happy on this one.

Might have to do with a group on facebook being very butthurt over this news, but I honestly cant wait to see what happens.

That first drop was amazeballs. The rest, blech.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, it's ****, so no loss.

Very exciting, they're definitely not just shoving these in anywhere they can. Hopefully they've stopped killing people.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Who's killing people? That's one of the most ridiculous comments you've ever posted. :roll:

nadroJ

CF Legend

Didn't they already retrack that coaster once already? Just let it die in peace XD

Joking of course, more RMC please.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Looking at an aerial view of the layout, I can see that this would require very little reprofiling. Looks like lots of nice opportunities for this nostalgic old woodie. Undo the reprofiling on the drop and throw in a barrel roll at the top of that first hill and they could have a winner.

I wonder if RMC's got something in their little bag of tricks that they plan to pull out for 2015 due to their two choices. Both Cyclone and Colossus are classic nostalgic wooden coasters (two of their three past renovations had slight western themes and one was practically themeless by comparison), both have been reprofiled at some point (Cyclone's drop and Colossus's double down becoming an MCBR), and what I feel is most significant, both are whitewashed. I wonder if any replaced wood is going to be whitewashed too or if they plan to use painted steel to add supports on the reprofiling.

Not ridden Cyclone but I had ridden Colossus and they seem to be somewhat similar in size but require little layout modification (much less than NTG or IRat) so I could see these two projects turning out to be very similar yet also being the best we've seen from them yet. One on the east coast one on the west, it would work out perfectly.

As for rail color on this one, I think this one could pull off a stormy blue-ish grey. I think an appropriate name for it would be Ironside Cyclone, playing off of the old Riverside Cyclone name. So many opportunities with this one! Having gone back to a Six Flags park for the first time in eight years this season and having my return welcomed by YOLOcoaster's loud dubstep, flashing lights, and giant TV screen showing footage of people doing dangerous things trying to convey the feeling you get on a smooth, fun, short terrain coaster, their branding department can only get better. :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

While I never rode the ride "back in the day", my single ride of it last year left a big impression on me for that first drop: Holy **** balls. That first drop threw me out of my seat far more than Bizarro did that day, and almost as quick/harsh as Skyrush. It was for a fleeting moment, but it gave me the impression that the ride used to be no slouch.

While the layout was fun, it had a lot of drawbacks, the main one being the Topper Track placed on it. It was rougher there than the actual wood, and it actually felt like the train breathed a sigh of relief once it hit the old track again. From what I understand, Cyclones was the worst TT fix with all the others behaving better.

I hope they at least put in the original drop back, as I really do want that drop back in my life

Hutch

Strata Poster

Yeah, this can't be anything else but RMC makeover. Really excited for this. The park will finally get something good for once. Like Jarrett said, I can see them extending the drop and having a barrel roll on the first hill, and maybe with an overbank turn in between.

I somewhat enjoyed this coaster. The first drop on the back seat is insane, along with that immediate turn around. It had some airtime but the problem was the utter roughness all around, so the ride was a bit all over the place.

As for the color of the new track? I'll be happy with anything but orange or red. Change it up a little bit!

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Yes I can't wait! I really hope they RMC it. I would love to have one of these beauties in my home state. Will for sure be on the top of the list for next year if they go through with it.

Ben

CF Legend

ECG said:
Who's killing people? That's one of the most ridiculous comments you've ever posted. :roll:

Tongue in cheek reference to New Texas Giant? God, I need to start putting a translation on for idiot Americans with no grasp of sarcasm or indeed, words.

VascoXTRC

Roller Poster

The Thunderbolt being an Ace Coaster Landmark I knew they would keep it. I believe in 2001 the first drop was shortened about 20' and trim brakes were added. It is nothing like it was. Three letters RMC, the spokesperson on the news said they had "no immediate plans to demolish the coaster", hmmn. It would remain silent for the rest of the season. Colossus as well, hmmn. Food for thought. GEEZ Colossus would be a major project.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster

This is my home park, and every time I walk in I think "It should be illegal to have three vekomas in one park" honestly the park is struggling greatly when it comes to coasters. You really only have two decent steel coasters and then Bizarro. I'm glad they are doing something to Cyclone because it has been in sad shape. There is so many different retracking spots and changes to it the ride isn't even that original. I'm excited though because RMC will find a way to make this ride great. Hopefully this will help out the park as it is in huge need of another big coaster.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

I hope this does not get razed & instead gets an update to a hybrid. If it going for scrap why so early, if it's rough then topper track it or re-track the whole layout.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

CoburnJason54 said:
This is my home park, and every time I walk in I think "It should be illegal to have three vekomas in one park"
You're lucky. The poor people of Scotland have 4 Pinfaris in one park.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Via Screamscape

Six Flags New England will be celebrating the Cyclone roller coaster this weekend with a huge send-off party on Saturday and Sunday, ending with a bang and a fireworks show at 9:30pm on Sunday, July 20th. As part of the promotion, the park says if you wear your 80’s attire to the park, you can get admission in for just $20.14 this weekend. Guests born in 1983 however (the year Cyclone opened) can get in free by showing proof with an ID. Season Passholders can also bring a friend for just $19.83 on Saturday or Sunday.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster

Alright, Cyclone is officially retired. I was going to take the 2hr treck to the last ert on this last night, but couldn't go. Saw a ton of pictures around where they were giving out cake and celebrating the rides closure. We have some good hints that this was getting RMC iron horse, but now it couldn't be any more obvious. Cannot wait to ride this it will be ready next year since they are starting it so early. Stupid New England weather. It won't stop snowing for two months straight. Glad they are getting started early.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

Both trains have already been removed from the track as of Tuesday and workers were in the station around the control panel area while I was in line for SkyScreamer. All the signs within the queue have been removed as well (the ones showing coasters at other SF parks with stats)

And the rides entrance looks like this - https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/4 ... 5654224896