What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Dueling Dragons was my biggest let down. It just always felt like you were only getting one half of a ride, and had to get off and wait another 30 minutes for the second half.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Nemesis. The AT fanboys hype it up so much it seems like your just about to spend a night with Cheryl Cole, and then it ends up more like a night with Ashley...

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Its seems that the topic of this thread seems to have transformed into "which coaster underwhelmed you most after having high expectations for it?"

The two that jump out for me are Steel Force & Great Bear. The former wasn't as forceful as the name would suggest, and the the latter just kind of dies after going through a series of formulaic inversions.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See, I loved both those coasters but had heard nothing about them really prior to riding them. So they can't be overrated because nobody goes on about how great they are :)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I am curious about the hate for Steel Force (and Morgan's in general).
They aint no B&M or Intamin but I thought Steel Force was fun : /

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Apollo's Chariot

It's fun and all and I enjoyed riding it. It's nice and smooth, but it's not at all unique. It's like every other B&M hyper and I liked Intimidator and Diamondback much better.

Jer

Strata Poster
Kingda Ka

Maybe it's not so talked about on the site, but being that I live 45min away here, everyone loves it apprently. I get the same reaction every time I say im into coasters "Ohh have you been on Kingda Ka, it's the best" It's not the best, it's not even good.

andrus

Giga Poster
Boulder Dash +1

..and Nemesis.

They're both good rides, but not as amazing as people make them out to be!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
furie said:
See, I loved both those coasters but had heard nothing about them really prior to riding them. So they can't be overrated because nobody goes on about how great they are :)

Steel Force was rated as highly as the 4th best steel coaster in the world in the Golden Ticket awards, and even though it's slipped, it still came in at 26th in the 2011 awards. Yes, it's the Golden Tickets and they are nothing short of a joke, but they are also highly publicized and well-known, meaning that lots of people still consider Steel Force to be among the world's 30 best steel coasters. Thus, I think it's safe to say it's an overrated coaster... hell, it didn't even make MY top 25!

And you got me on Great Bear.. you're right in that you don't really hear anyone gush over it. But in case you can't tell by my post on Marcus's latest topic about rides with wasted potential, this is just a ride that I love to hate. I won't pass up a chance to bash it. :)

Snoo said:
^It sucks in fact. ;)

I'm curious about the Ka hate which seems to be surprisingly pervasive on this site. Yes, I'm aware it has downtime issues that are even worse than TTD's, but when you do get to ride it, does the fact that it has OTSR's rather than TTD's lap bars detract from the experience that much? I barely even noticed them on the ride... I was too busy being blown away by the sheer speed and massive height.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So it's overrated by a single award ceremony that nobody takes any notice of? That's only a single (biased) source and not really putting it into the category of overrated in my book. It's like saying that The Dark Knight is overrated because in 2008 Great Adventure said it was their best attraction and in 2009 were still saying it was their best new coaster for two years. It's just bollocks.

Boulder Dash -1 BTW ;)

Phoenix +1 :p

madhjsp

Giga Poster
furie said:
So it's overrated by a single award ceremony that nobody takes any notice of? That's only a single (biased) source and not really putting it into the category of overrated in my book.

That's just it, though.. I'd say it's an award ceremony that lots of people take notice of.. and I'm talking about GP here. Parks that receive high ratings in the Golden Tickets use that in their advertising. I've seen Busch Gardens advertise itself as "The World's Most Beautiful Theme Park" the same way that Cedar Point advertises itself as "The World's Best Theme Park" or Millennium Force as "The World's #1 Steel Coaster," citing the Golden Tickets as the source. I've seen them referenced in Youtube comments, overheard references in person while waiting in lines, and seen signs at parks bragging about their accolades. Point is, I'd argue that the Golden Tickets are likely the most well-recognized set of awards among the general theme park-going population.. moreso than the Mitch Hawker poll I'd imagine, which is conducted and announced each year with little fanfare and only captures the attention of enthusiasts like ourselves.

So with that in mind, yes.. Steel Force is overrated. Aside from that, people do rave about it in real life. I had friends from the area telling me it was their favorite ride at the park when I told them I was planning to go to Dorney, and I was told it was the best/scariest coaster in the park by several people with whom I had brief conversations while waiting for other rides.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's all like the "World Series" though isn't it? It may be in America, but that's the only place it's relevant. Beyond the US border, nobody has heard of the Golden Tickets and certainly nobody (beyond I think Blackpool) ever gets taken into consideration if they're not on US soil.

So yeah, it may be overrated to Americans, but to the rest of the world, and enthusiasts, it's unheard of or ignored.

Jer

Strata Poster
madhjsp said:
I'm curious about the Ka hate which seems to be surprisingly pervasive on this site. Yes, I'm aware it has downtime issues that are even worse than TTD's, but when you do get to ride it, does the fact that it has OTSR's rather than TTD's lap bars detract from the experience that much? I barely even noticed them on the ride... I was too busy being blown away by the sheer speed and massive height.

Err, it's not the downtime that makes it suck, it's the fast that every seat except the front is shakey, and borderline painful. I havent ridden TTD so I cant compare the restraints, but im going to assume it's 100% because of those.