What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
madhjsp said:
furie said:
See, I loved both those coasters but had heard nothing about them really prior to riding them. So they can't be overrated because nobody goes on about how great they are :)

Steel Force was rated as highly as the 4th best steel coaster in the world in the Golden Ticket awards, and even though it's slipped, it still came in at 26th in the 2011 awards. Yes, it's the Golden Tickets and they are nothing short of a joke, but they are also highly publicized and well-known, meaning that lots of people still consider Steel Force to be among the world's 30 best steel coasters. Thus, I think it's safe to say it's an overrated coaster... hell, it didn't even make MY top 25!

And you got me on Great Bear.. you're right in that you don't really hear anyone gush over it. But in case you can't tell by my post on Marcus's latest topic about rides with wasted potential, this is just a ride that I love to hate. I won't pass up a chance to bash it. :)

Snoo said:
^It sucks in fact. ;)

I'm curious about the Ka hate which seems to be surprisingly pervasive on this site. Yes, I'm aware it has downtime issues that are even worse than TTD's, but when you do get to ride it, does the fact that it has OTSR's rather than TTD's lap bars detract from the experience that much? I barely even noticed them on the ride... I was too busy being blown away by the sheer speed and massive height.

Guess I'm just a coaster addict but not a coaster freak...I love Great Bear. It's way too short is all but such a fun ride!

I can't vouch for others, but for me Ka just isnt worth it. I rode it (when it was the fastest on Earth still) to do it but after that never bothered, (unless I was with someone who wanted). Under an hour.....ok but more than that naaah. It's a 15 second ride that hurts a bit, at least TTD has lap bars! What can I say? I noticed them. Up front its not bad but in the back it was. But yeah that's the second gripe, it's just not worth it IMO for too much of a wait.

The down time doesn't need to be mentioned but sorry, for me it plays a small role as well. Remember, this is overrated.
I know KK may not be highly "ranked" but it's of course the big s**t of the "regular people" that everyone wants to do and think OMG it's the greatest because its so big and fast. So yeah it's my most overrated coaster. A friend from FL asked me to ride KK for him and I said, (besides the fact it was going to be closed) "not a chance" lol

madhjsp

Giga Poster
furie said:
It's all like the "World Series" though isn't it? It may be in America, but that's the only place it's relevant. Beyond the US border, nobody has heard of the Golden Tickets and certainly nobody (beyond I think Blackpool) ever gets taken into consideration if they're not on US soil.

So yeah, it may be overrated to Americans, but to the rest of the world, and enthusiasts, it's unheard of or ignored.

Overrated to just one country is still overrated :wink:

Evilquiz99

Roller Poster
:roll: :roll: :roll: Im gonna say Kraken. People say its the best florless coaster but its layout is pretty much the same as the others.

bmac

Giga Poster
Millennium Force. I just don't get all the hype it receives among the communities I've been with. There's only 4 hills across 6,000 feet of track and none of them give a single ounce of weightlessness. The ride is absolutely packed with turns which again don't pack force. It's seriously feels to me no matter where I sit that it's just 6,000 feet of forceless elements at 70 mph. It also gave me a bad vibe with rides that are taller than 300 feet because it just seems they blow all the potential the ride has after the first drop.

In reply to Kingda Ka, it has gotten much better now that they have the old i305 restraints on the trains. It still doesn't retract from the fact you basically go up 450 ft and back down into the brake run, but it makes the ride thousands of times more enjoyable.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
bmac said:
Millennium Force. I just don't get all the hype it receives among the communities I've been with. There's only 4 hills across 6,000 feet of track and none of them give a single ounce of weightlessness. The ride is absolutely packed with turns which again don't pack force. It's seriously feels to me no matter where I sit that it's just 6,000 feet of forceless elements at 70 mph. It also gave me a bad vibe with rides that are taller than 300 feet because it just seems they blow all the potential the ride has after the first drop.

In reply to Kingda Ka, it has gotten much better now that they have the old i305 restraints on the trains. It still doesn't retract from the fact you basically go up 450 ft and back down into the brake run, but it makes the ride thousands of times more enjoyable.

Well that's good to hear, I may actually wait for KK this year :lol:

I actually hear you with MForce. It really is pretty forceless, ironic since I prefer intense forceful rides, but I just love speed and pace. I do think people may get caught up in the "numbers" or "history" of the ride and hype it because it was the original giga coaster and all, but I like the unrelenting pace.
Oh and the lift still feels like a lift. There's a sense of "oh s**t this is high"

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Dragon Khan.

I dont know whether it was because the goliath that Shambhala is, is hovering above, but I just didnt feel it.
It throws you around and yes on the back row there was force, but not nearly enough to match up with the hype.

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Thirthirteenteen. I was browsing this topic quite startled as to why this appaling ride wasn't showing up, then realised the topic was started in 2008. But yes quite simply a horrific boring waste of £15,000,000

(Jubilee odyssey is the bigger waste, £28,000,000 and its falling to bits). However that isn't overhyped

VascoXTRC

Roller Poster
None of these are in my top but the average american..most likely.
1. Rock n' Roller Coaster
2. The Hulk
3. Manta

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
bmac said:

There is a certain piece of nostalgia that I still carry with Millennium Force. Memories of 4 hour waits for the ride, or how it was heralded as the first coaster of the 21st century.

Yes, the layout can be aggressively mediocre, but rider experience is never dependent on the layout alone.

bmac

Giga Poster
If they designed it like the recreation in NoLimits I wouldn't be complaining, I just looked at those overbanks and hills and thought that it'd have some action in it. I rode it three times in two days just to see if I was tripping and every ride I just got more and more disappointed. I don't know maybe MF doesn't like high heat (it was 95-105 those two days) and it's just weather temperamental, maybe my trip next year will change my mind.

VF15

Roller Poster
From what I've ridden, Raging Bull at SFGAm. It's a fun ride, but there's not that much airtime, and it's kinda forceless in some spots.

therick311

Mega Poster
bmac said:
I don't know maybe MF doesn't like high heat (it was 95-105 those two days) and it's just weather temperamental, maybe my trip next year will change my mind.
I feel like the ride on this coaster depends so much on the weather. I have heard the arguments that it's forceless, or that you have to wait for it to warm up, or you have to sit in front, or it has to be a new moon, or whatever.

All I can say is I took my first rides on it in July. It was a very warm and humid week. I was near the front of the train for every ride, and even in the front row it delivered airtime on every hill. My reaction on the brake run after my first ride was "Millennium Forceless my ass!"

Now, I'll admit, everything on the island was a little dull. It's certainly not my favorite coaster, but it's a damn good one.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Alpengeist. I don't know why everyone likes it so much. It's probably my least favorite B&M invert that I've ever ridden.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Wild Eagle. Was just a meh-fest with no real forces in any direction.
I mean, sure, it isn't rated amazingly, but most people have the opinion that it at least is decent, which it is not. A disappointment.

pluk

Roller Poster
'Duelling / Dragons / Challenge' I see on many top 10's and can't agree. There's nothing really wrong with it but I was just generally underwhelmed by the whole thing, didn't find it particularly memorable. Get the feeling if either of the coasters were on their own elsewhere they'd be largely ignored.

Also The Smiler, the amount of people I've seen describe it as a Nemesis beater. It very much isn't.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
pluk said:
'Duelling / Dragons / Challenge' I see on many top 10's and can't agree. There's nothing really wrong with it but I was just generally underwhelmed by the whole thing, didn't find it particularly memorable. Get the feeling if either of the coasters were on their own elsewhere they'd be largely ignored.

Also The Smiler, the amount of people I've seen describe it as a Nemesis beater. It very much isn't.
Fully agree with this although not seen many people with dueling dragons in their top anything.
The smiler is good, up there with oblivion but not in the same league as Nemesis.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I've heard a load of 'the Smiler is amazing OMG', at school and I thought they were overrating it.

However, I went yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and forceful it was.

Must have got on a good train. :wink:

Edward M

Strata Poster
IntaminToWin said:
Wild Eagle. Was just a meh-fest with no real forces in any direction.
I mean, sure, it isn't rated amazingly, but most people have the opinion that it at least is decent, which it is not. A disappointment.

+1, yeah, I have expressed this before and will again. Wild Eagle was forceless and disappointing. Swarm was much better.

I305 was too forceful and just shouldn't have been put that close to the ground.

Mr Freeze was fun but really seemed to end before it starts. The launch was weak also. I have a similar opinion on Flight of Fear. It just starts out like it will be this phenomenal ride then just meanders slowly sideways down the bowl. I never have liked Premier launched rides (except RotM).

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I would have to go with Apollo's Chariot at BGW. It's a fun hyper, sure, but it lacked that "insanity" element that usually goes with them. It's not that high, and the airtime was pretty weak compared to the others I've ridden. I had a good time on it, but it wasn't "OMG THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!" like coasters that are/have been on my top 10. It's a good coaster, I had fun on it, but I had so much more fun on, say, Goliath or Intimidator than I did on Apollo's Chariot.