What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
There is no "ejector hill" on jackrabbit, Snoo.

We need medical assistance in here immediately, Snoo's going cray cray.

Snoo

The Legend
Of course, my dozens of times on it must have been a mistake. Pardon my opinion as your is obviously superior. ;)

http://rcdb.com/120.htm?p=219 is fantastic.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
I hate the term"overrated".

"Overrated" in theme park enthusiasm seems to mean "something I don't like because everybody does."

That is so true!

I'm going to say The Swarm. I was so shocked to come back from the weekend and find all the amazing reviews that it got. I did enjoy it, but not that much.

In terms of overated rollercoasters in a public sense, I often hear about how amazing Air is by a lot of people. They're never too impressed when I say I find it ****.

I also throw Jubilee Odyssey into these threads as well. No idea what anyone sees in that thing.

Ethan

Strata Poster
With Air, I think its because its so unique to most people, so that instantly means it's good to them.

Apparently Jack Rabbit gets raves for it's ejector hill.. but that's all I can say is exceptional. I actually loved it.

Jack Rabbit's ejector hill was insane, but the ride sucks if it isn't ridden in the back. I was caught so off guard by that one, and I think it was you that I rode it with the first time if I'm not mistaken. Love it! Thunderbolt is just funny, especially the one time I ended up sitting on the wrong side.

Will

Strata Poster
Upon skim-reading the topic, seems nobody's raised the issue of Piraten.
I should probably address this...

Oh, and Grand National - but that one definitely is a case of 'coasters people rave about that I 'don't get'.
Finally, a lesser offender but nontheless worthy of a mention - Stealth. Anyone who has been to a theme park outside of London, and still ranks it highly, is guilty of overrating the dreadful thing.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Will said:
Upon skim-reading the topic, seems nobody's raised the issue of Piraten.
I should probably address this...

Piraten doesn't rank high in the technical side of things, but I think as a group we just found it to be an incredibly fun, re-rideable coaster. It's not the best by any means, but I think our group in particular rates it so highly because we had such a fun morning on it. It is hard to break from that group mentality when there are such fond memories attached to the thing!

And Stealth's launch is the best I've ever been on, yes the rest of the ride is meh, but the buzz I get from the launch completely overrides the rest of the coaster. If you're not into launches then of course you're going to think it's overrated ;]

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Actually forgot how good Stealth's launch actually is, but it's never going to stand up well after riding TTD...

Air isn't over-rated, but I do prefer it over Tatsu, mainly as Air didn't try to rip my limbs out in mid ride... It arguably gives a much better sensation of flight (Which was the point of the ride really) and is extremely popular with the GP... I file it under the "Not-Intense-So-Few-Like-It" category...

National isn't any good these days... It WAS good, but then the fire happened, and the new trains aren't very good...

Will

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
National isn't any good these days... It WAS good, but then the fire happened, and the new trains aren't very good...
Aha, that explains everything - my first ride wasn't until Summer 2005 when it re-opened after the fire, so I've never met its true potential, and it's just got rougher and rougher with every modification :( Everyone else loves it though, so I mostly keep quiet :p
As for Stealth, it has an Intamin launch that doesn't belong to iSpeed, it's never going to work.

Frank

Roller Poster
I think I'd agree with Stealth. A lot of my friends were bigging it up as the best coaster at Thorpe when I went there a fortnight ago, but I didn't think it was that great. Decent airtime at the top, but I just think that it needs a bit more to it. I've always thought the top-hat-and-that's-your-lot style launched coasters are rather... unimaginative.

Only queued for 5 minutes to get on it, mind you, so I can't complain at that really...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Will said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Aha, that explains everything - my first ride wasn't until Summer 2005 when it re-opened after the fire, so I've never met its true potential, and it's just got rougher and rougher with every modification :( Everyone else loves it though, so I mostly keep quiet :p

There's one good train... My best ride on it was 2006, which is still one of my favourite ride moments - it completely negates this "post-fire" bollocks*. However, we're firmly into Baco territory here so I shall gracefully bow out. I can completely understand why people dislike the ride, or can't see its potential after several worse than awful runs on the thing.

*Having been riding the coaster for around 30 years, I'm also well placed to comment on pre and post fire quality and post fire the ride is faster and more thrilling, but also much more brutal in the wrong trains/seats/side/time of day ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Just been reading the Cumlots topic, and Knightmare has to feature in here (if it hasn't already). Seemingly just because it's a Schwarz, enthusiasts cream all over it. Whilst I didn't dislike it in any way, I really didn't think it was anything special.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think tks was right in the other thread, it was only hyped because it was rare, and some Americans got to ride it. Oh, and its a Schwartzkopf.

It is good, and forceful, and I'm glad I went to Camelot to ride it, but its nothing too amazing really. I'd like to see it go to another park over here, where it can be looked after properly.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Kingda Ka

I get it, it's the tallest coaster on Earth (was also the fastest all the times I've ridden it) but honestly, after a few times, (I'm talking 3) I don't see the point. It's 12 seconds long, and unless you get there at the right time, the wait is ridiculous. It breaks down all the time. Also the OTSRs hurt!

At least Top Thrill Dragster has the lap bars so it's much smoother.

I'd say do it once, but then never need to bother. Sucks that people want to wait for that, (or TTD) when there are better coasters like Nitro and El Toro!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I know this isn't really a "big name" ride so I guess it can't be over rated....but I found Fahrenheit disappointing. Felt bland and forceless. Shame since it looks so epic