What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

But yeah, apart from that it didn't do much for me apart from make me feel quite ill if I'm honest.

I didn't think Katun was overhyped to be honest. I came into the park fully knowing I've never rated inverted coasters THAT highly apart from Nemesis and Batman, so I wasn't expecting more than what I should have expected. It was average as far as inverted coasters go for me, but I do agree, it made me feel really ill especially after the fourth or fifth go.

As far as Nemesis is concerned, I didn't think it was overrated at all.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Nemesis is overated. The more inverts I go on, the less I care about Nemesis.

Years ago, I remember Shockwave Tom saying that once you've been on as many coasters as him, you'll understand what makes Nemesis so good. Well here I am years later, wondering with every single invert since, why Nemesis is so praised.

I do, however, understand increasingly what makes Nemesis so special. And why American's generally think its fab. It's weird.

But, then I can't figure out why Great Bear doesn't get more praise?

But I can't understand why more Brits aren't indifferent to Nemesis after all this time. Aren't you all bored of it?

Is struggle to order my inverts, but most if them are more fun than Nemesis.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

reddude333

Giga Poster
Of the coasters I've been on I'd have to say the two most overrated are Superman (at SFMM) and Diamondback. Although neither are raved about by enthusiasts, they are both considered very good by many and I find them somewhat entertaining at best.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't really understand this over-rating thing and never have. If people are excited about a ride, then there's a reason - people don't just go on about how much they love something for the hell of it. They must be finding something there that pushes their buttons.

However, as a realist, you have to understand that different things push different people's buttons. When you go on a ride, it's almost a blank canvas in front of you, and you paint it with whatever thrills and fun you bring with you from your own personal enjoyment palette. As can be seen with Joey.

Joey said:

Years ago, I remember Shockwave Tom saying that once you've been on as many coasters as him, you'll understand what makes Nemesis so good. Well here I am years later, wondering with every single invert since, why Nemesis is so praised.

I do, however, understand increasingly what makes Nemesis so special. And why American's generally think its fab. It's weird.

But, then I can't figure out why Great Bear doesn't get more praise?

But I can't understand why more Brits aren't indifferent to Nemesis after all this time. Aren't you all bored of it?

Is struggle to order my inverts, but most if them are more fun than Nemesis.

I also struggle to order my inverts, because there's so little to pick between them. However, they can offer very different ride experiences. I went on Inferno last week and really enjoyed it. I find it great fun. I also found Great Bear really good fun, and Talon. I loved Alpengeist, but not for the huge inversions, but as much for the fun swooping ground section towards the end; it was a ride that kept on giving (IMO). Batman though I thought was excellent, but it was a bit too intense which knocked my experience a bit. Nemesis though still, to this day, leaves me breathless and smiling like a goon after a ride. It's not fun in the way others are, it's just "right" for me. It just pushes the right buttons and that's why I'm not bored of it (I also limit the number of times I ride it a year, which may help).

I talked with tepr about this at Thorpe. Some people just hate the speed/intensity of Nemesis. Well, I think hate is too strong a word. As I found Batman's detracted from the experience, people find it too with Nemesis. So rides like Inferno offer a more balanced ride. I guess that people who love hot chillies can't understand why others would only want the mildest of spices in food. Yet sometimes, less is more.

I'm certainly with you Joey, that "fun" is an important (and overlooked) factor in most coaster experiences, but I ride Nemesis and then remember why I got into this game in the first place - the pure thrill.

See, I thought Balder was "over-rated", in that I couldn't see why everyone said they loved it so. Yet out of the group that went on it, I think three people just utterly adored the ride. They're sitting next to you blown away by it's brilliance while you sit next to them disappointed. The only way that can happen is because people can be wildly different. So over-rating just isn't there, it's just that maybe you're one of the minority who doesn't "get it" (and not in a bad way - it's just the truth).

TilenB

Strata Poster
For my opinion the most overrated coaster is Blue Tornado in Gardaland. Gardaland is like the only amusement park that Slovenians know about. I get angry every time I hear some schoolmates saying that it's like the best coaster ever :? :roll:
At least they have built Raptor last year, which is a lot better than Vekoma SLC

Kebab

Giga Poster
Rita. Nothing about it stands out, it's just an average launch into a few turns then it's over.

I disagree what people are saying about Nemesis though, while it's highly praised, it deserves it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Kebab said:
Rita. Nothing about it stands out, it's just an average launch into a few turns then it's over.

Rita is a funny one in terms on enthusiasm because it seems to me that the public really rate it (which in turn could lead to the over-rated-ness of the ride) but enthusiasts seem to loathe the thing. And as enthusiasts, we tend to view the public opinion on rides as an outside view, if you will? So I can see why you would find it overrated as a member of the public, but as an enthusiast surely you would expect the thing to be crap?

Mark9

Roller Poster
Joey said:
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

That's really interesting actually, I'm the exact opposite and find after each inverter, I re-ride Nemesis and remember what makes the ride so good. The Dragons in Orlando were just rides over some grass and concrete whilst Nemesis played with its surroundings and queueline. Katun dominated the Miribilandian landscape whilst Nemmy seems underwhelming before blowing me away. Even Black Mamba feels like Nemesis doing a Nemesis Inferno lay-out.

spicy

Giga Poster
I guess if you enjoy a coaster you will rate it, it just so happens that many enthusiasts enjoy Nemesis where as inverts like Nemesis Inferno and the Dueling Dragons seem to divide opinion a lot more.

I seem to follow the "norm" where Nemesis and Dragon Khan are my two favourite coasters and I know this applies to quite a few people.

Everyone enjoys what they enjoy, it's always better to ride something with no preconceptions and form your own opinion of it before you hear others I think.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Comparing coasters is impossible anyway. You can't ride them all in the same conditions and the same amount of times. They do vary, drastically. And it also matters who you rode with. It's no coincidence that groups of people go try out a coaster and love it, whilst another group doesn't.

That's why we try to rate them more objectively than just how "fun" they are, but I feel sometimes genuinely good coasters end up getting left out of this.

I think Alpengeist is one of them. I was always under the impression that it wasn't that renowned and got a lot of criticism for being forceless. When I went on it, I was pretty blown away by the wind battering (hahaaaaa, pun). Wind battering is a quality I expect from mega coasters, not inverts! And it was also just SO much fun.... Until the cobra rolls, which are terrible! And yet people say they are the best part??? That cobra roll is like a bloody Vekoma one, it flops about and batters your ear, unable to maintain a flow of speed.

I think my favourite invert is still Montu, but what I cannot understand is how underated Batman is!! WTH? It's amazing!

Anyway, back to overrated coasters.

Millenium Force. It doesn't do anything. There's no sense of speed because it's too high up to compare anything to and has no directional changes. Everyone raves about that first drop, but honestly? If I closed my eyes it was like standing still. I was in disbelief when I rode it, and we ended up doing it more than any other ride there because I was determined to find the coaster I'd heard so much about.

Phoenix. It's good, but it's not THAT good. It also hurts quite a lot. The entire park is massively overated. I don't really get it? Kennywood is the same.

Expeition GeForce is so overrated it's an absolute joke. Finally get to ride Bizaro this year, so that 'll be interesting.

ArronL94

Roller Poster
Trying to think here! :p

From Alton Towers I've gotta say the more over-rated roller coaster is either Th13teen or Air. After the first couple of rides, the experience dies out. I'm not calling the rides, I love them so much. I think Air is just missing something. :twisted:

Jake

Strata Poster
Joey said:
but what I cannot understand is how underated Batman is!! WTH? It's amazing!

OMG, Yes. Batman clones are actually OBSCENE. They're amazing.

Phoenix. It's good, but it's not THAT good. It also hurts quite a lot. The entire park is massively overated. I don't really get it?

Hmmm, I agree with you about Knoebels. It's actually a right dump but gets away with it because it's in a forest. I did think Phoenix was fab though to be honest... but then I like Balder and nobody else seems to anymore. Bunny hops <3.

Nemesis is rather overrated, but I think that is changing as more people travel abroad and ride more coasters. Generally, Alton isn't bummed as much as it used to be.

I don't see how Rita is overrated either, if anything it's underrated beause it constantly gets slated.

El Toro is still the ultimate most overrated coaster in the world.

Ben

CF Legend
Joey said:
Expeition GeForce is so overrated it's an absolute joke. Finally get to ride Bizaro this year, so that 'll be interesting.

Bizaro is loads better than EGF, but, it's still HUGELY over-rated.

Goliath is the ultimate best Intamin Mega <3

And Toro is stupidly over-rated. Colossos is loads better.

Nemesis is crappy, Batman is amazing.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Phoenix. It's good, but it's not THAT good. It also hurts quite a lot. The entire park is massively overated. I don't really get it? Kennywood is the same.

See, for me Phoenix fits into the "fun" category you were just advocating. It's just a stupidly fun (in the front at least; didn't try the back), laugh-out-loud ride. You're not expecting much (well, I wasn't anyway as I hadn't read much about it), but you end up with a surprisingly good experience. It's one of the most "fun" woodies I've been on, alongside Troy, Grand National and Lightning Racers, but it also has stronger airtime which helps it rate highly with us picky enthusiasts.

I really liked Knoebels, but definitely more for the atmosphere than the rides, with the exception of Phoenix. I think I just liked that you can wander in, chill out and go on a few rides if you feel like it. It didn't feel like they were trying to milk you for every penny in your wallet before you even got to ride anything if that makes sense.

But yeah, Kennywood can **** right off. I really appreciate the "classic" parks (Blackpool, Knoebels, Tivoli Gardens etc.), but I just couldn't enjoy Kennywood. Part of the problem was that their classic rides just weren't very good, which brings me to my nominations for overated:

Jackrabbit and Phantom's Revenge.

Willy_Beans

Roller Poster
Thirteen was pretty bad. Way over rated IMO.

Nemesis is brilliant. It was built 18 years ago so it's bound to have had a battering.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Jackrabbit gets a lot of praise? See i've heard people overate the park, but never any of their rides.

Phantom I thought was pretty good, but I love those anyway.

Their woodies were absolutely DIRE though. Just poor. On every level. And how you HAVE to sit next to someone? I don't want to sit next to one of these locals, they smell funky. :/

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I hate the term"overrated".

"Overrated" in theme park enthusiasm seems to mean "something I don't like because everybody does."

In which case, I'm throwing Dragon Khan into the mix.

Snoo

The Legend
Joey said:
Jackrabbit gets a lot of praise? See i've heard people overate the park, but never any of their rides.

Phantom I thought was pretty good, but I love those anyway.

Their woodies were absolutely DIRE though. Just poor. On every level. And how you HAVE to sit next to someone? I don't want to sit next to one of these locals, they smell funky. :/

Apparently Jack Rabbit gets raves for it's ejector hill.. but that's all I can say is exceptional. I actually loved it.