What's new

What are you reading?

mrclam

Giga Poster
John91 said:
At least you got something more interesting than 'Of Mice and Men'.

I just did that as a play. I was Lennie (the big slow guy.. perfect casting)

It's a cracking story, sex, murder, what more do you want?

Did you know that lots of looney toons characters were based on the two main characters? Especially Tex Avery.. Watching them was perfect for working on the character of Lennie

Taylor, I love To Kill A Mockingbird, we read that for GCSE english, and I got an A in coursework for it!

It'll probably get more interesting I'm sure. I heard it's get better at the middle and end, and right now I'm just nearing the middle of it, pretty much where they had to shoot the crazy dog or whatever, and Jem has to read for Ms. Dubose.

I heard "Of Mice and Men" is really good though, but I think I might just watch the movie if it came to it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I heard "Of Mice and Men" is really good though, but I think I might just watch the movie if it came to it.

LOL! I want to write a book full of quotes of your Tay :lol:

There is a chance, that possibly, just maybe, the reason books are still popular after 100+ years, is because they're well written? The story often doesn't mean as much as the way they're written.

In fact, often very dull stories are only brought alive by the particular way the author has written - his prose. It's why most Stephen King films fail, it's because his stories are junk, but his writing is compelling and the books are about so much more than the story - you can never get that across in film :D

I'm now getting well into the second of the Dark Tower books. Okay, I missed book 1, and probably wont read the others for ages, but it's got me hooked. I hated the first 3 chapters, it was awful, but I'm lost in it now. I think it probably still is awful, but I'm just a sucker :D

Stonehenge (Bernard Cornwall) was excellent. Utter trash and a great bit of entertainment for a couple of days - I recommend it (and any of hsi other work), to anyone. With it being all about Stonehenge though, you can pretend you're clever though, a bit like reading the Da Vinci code :p

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I am just now finished with a couple of books I am sure that there is no English title for. I'm about halfway through Harry Potter 7 in Norwegian, but I've read it in English already so...

And speaking about the Da Vinci Code, I will strongly recommend the Norwegian parody, "the Madonna Riddle". Too bad it's all in Norwegian and will make no sense at all to most CF-ers...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Where's my George Orwell's 10 page essay on "Politics and the English Language" lovers!? :lol:

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

LOL! I want to write a book full of quotes of your Tay :lol:

The best thing about it is.

"Of Mice and Men" is a short story. It's about 40 pages long from beginning to end, as it's written with the intention to be made into a play.

How lazy would you have to be NOT to read it?

In fact, it'd probably take longer to watch the movie than read the book!

LOL! I want to write a book full of quotes of your Tay

Haha, do it! I do say rather stupid things sometimes though.

I know that books are almost always better than the films, but I was pretty much just meaning that people say the book is so great, but they do the same with "To Kill a Mockingbird", yet that's not really all it's cracked up to be so far.

Stephen King's books are actually really good though Furie, and most of the movies that he has made, well, yeah some of them are crap but a lot of them are amazing, like the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption (okay I thought that one was a bit over rated but many people like it), and Misery.

I also didn't know that "Of Mice and Men" is only fourty pages long.

EITHER WAY, I have a list of Sophie Kinsella's books (Shopaholic books, woo) that I'm reading so I don't have time for males and rodents at this very moment in time.

scan

Mega Poster
Reading:

The World According to clarkson volume 1 and 2
I Know You Got Soul-Jeremy Clarkson
My story-Lewis Hamilton

Read:
All Harry Potter Books-JK Rowling
All the Bourne Books-Robert Ludlum
I Am Legend-Bob Hope

Recommend:
Darren Shan books
18 bells of freedom from 1902-Worlds wierdest book but hard to find, got my copy from school

John91

Mega Poster
Lewis' book is pretty good. Would have been better if he'd waited a few seasons before he released it. I'm in the process of reading Richard Hammond's book. It's pretty good so far, but has mainly been from his wife's perspective while he was in hospital.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Right now I've been reading the Alex Rider series.. Very good books, I'm currently on 5 of 7 I believe, My current book is called 'Scorpia'

Rush

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Well, we read for an hour and fifteen minutes today which got boring after about, ten minutes. To Kill a Mockingbird is decent so far now that I'm a bit over one hundred pages in, but I fail to see all of the hype. It's good, but nothing that's over the top excellent so far!

We've had to do TKAM as well. I really didn't find it very interesting though but it's better than what we're doing now. (Poetry.... woopee woo...)

At the moment I'm reading two books:

'1984' by George Orwell, haven't read it for a while but I'm about a hundred pages in and I'm really enjoying it! Wish we could have studied it for English Lit. :(

9/10 so far.

Also I'm reading 'The Dastardly Book for Dogs' but I don't know who the author is. It's quite a funny book and although it's nothing really special it provides me with a few laughs every now and then.

8/10 so far.

Ollie

CF Legend
Bens probably going to be annoyed with me but I have every issue of the '9th wonders' comic from the amazing T.V show 'Heroes' :D
It gives you background storys on all the characters and has interviews with the creators at the back. :D

Tom

Hyper Poster
I'm reading Agaha Christie novels now. I've just read 4.50 from Paddington, and I'm now reading Cards on the Table, and A Murde is Announced.

Brilliant books!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Of Mice and Men is a great book. I read it for GCSE and really enjoyed it. The film is good, but honestly, the book is so much better.

I've also re-read most of my Clarkson books recently. Marvelous :)

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't been reading as much as usual really.

Hotel Babylon - Imogen Edwards-Jones

In the same style as Air Babylon, which I read a while back. It's basically an expose on what goes on in the hotel industry, but made into 24 hours in a fictional hotel. A very fast, easy read, but very entertaining.

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

This is the 3rd book I've read of his, and is my favourite so far. It took me ages to read it though. I thought I'd finish quickly on my holiday, but couldn't be arsed to open it the whole time.

Disney War - James B. Stewart

Most of my reading is done on the subway, so I usually just read trashy fiction (no concentration involved). I'm about 3/4 of the way through this, and it's really interesting. It basically follows Michael Eisner's career at Disney. It sounds boring, but it's not, although it's a bit heavy going.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I'm in the process of reading the book counterparts to Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman's 'Long Way Round' and 'Long Way Down'. For anyone that doesn't know, the two actors just decided to ride motorbikes around the world, for fun, and made a couple of tv series' out of it. Firstly, they went from London to New York, the long way round, via Europe, Asia & Russia, to Alaska, Canada & the US. Then they rode from John O'Groats in northern Scotland to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of South Africa.

Seeing as i'm in my 'I want to see every bit of the world' phase, this sort of thing's fascinating me. Reading about, and seeing, the different cultures and atmospheres that different countries and continents bring is something I love at the moment, and I could both read the books and watch the DVDs all day.

If you're interested in travel or the world, these books are great. They deal equally with the experiences of different cultures, and the stresses and pressures that doing a trip like that can bring on.

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird and it was a pretty nice story, but I still think it's a bit over rated. It wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be, but it was still a decent book and movie, and is definitely worth a read.

8/10