What's new

What are you reading?

Ollie

CF Legend
I like to re-read The Book of Bunny Suicides every now and then as it provides a good giggle.
It's a picture book and is showing extreme ways of rabbits killing themselfs becasue they don't want to live anymore.

You want some examples I hear you scream. ;)

bunny_suicides_56.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

potter-5756.jpg

potter2-6549.jpg

Mark

Strata Poster
REALLY! Im going into town later, and we have a poundland! Did they have both of them, like 1 and 2?

Ben

CF Legend
^Lol, my rechargeable batteries are from that Poundland. They're the best ones I've ever bought, I love them.

I read Of Mice And Men in a day yesterday. It was just so good and so gripping. But the ending, oh my God... I've always been like "it's so pathetic to cry at a book, it's just words on a page", but that. I was just so shocked I was bawling, lol.

Loved it though, instantly one of my favourite books of all time.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I own all the Harry Potter books but I've never read any of them more than once. They're fun but not amazing.

I just started Heart of Darkness today and I'll probably finish it on the beach tomorrow or the day after. I've read it before but I'm reading it again for an English paper. It's one of my favorite books.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ben said:
^Lol, my rechargeable batteries are from that Poundland. They're the best ones I've ever bought, I love them.

I read Of Mice And Men in a day yesterday. It was just so good and so gripping. But the ending, oh my God... I've always been like "it's so pathetic to cry at a book, it's just words on a page", but that. I was just so shocked I was bawling, lol.

Loved it though, instantly one of my favourite books of all time.

Ironically, I love to read, but I have always kind of shyed away from it. I think it was possibly the fact that a few classes in my year at High School studied it (I didn't) and the idea of reading a studied text now kinda puts me off. English Literature class all but destroyed my love of Othello for instance, purely because of how much you have to read it, re-read it, analyze it, write about it.......

In fairness, I know very little about Of Mice and Men and one day, I just might get round to reading it..

Ben

CF Legend
You really should, it's fantastic. Buy tissues for the ending though. I thought it was going be this nice, corny, happy ending, and then it was like *BAM*, crying.

Plus, it's only a little over 100 pages, so it's nice and quick.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
100 pages would take me about a year.

EDIT: Any Prachett fans in here? Send me a PM please. Got some questions regarding some design stuff.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I'm currently working my way through Mansfield Park by Jane Austin. I have a rota between easy books and hard books.... I've just finished Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs so i'm on to something a little more difficult.... Don't ask why i've just gotten used to it now...

A

Anonymous

Just started out on one of Jeremy Clarkson's books, called something like 'I Know You Got Soul'. It's pretty good actually!

Last books I've read were 'The World According to Clarkson' (volumes 1 & 2) and 'What if I Had Never Tried it?', Valentino Rossi's autobiography.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
Any Pratchett fans in here? Send me a PM please. Got some questions regarding some design stuff.
I've bought everything he's written since 1986 :p.

Just finished The Sleeping Doll by Jeffrey Deaver (very good crime thriller, as always), now onto some sci-fi with Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan, which has a glow in the dark cover :D.

Bitter

Mega Poster
At the moment I am reading through Derren Brown's "Tricks of the Mind. It is generally a very interesting read, although there have been some parts which do not interest me. The tone of the book is enjoyable and often funny as it is intended for public consumption, but this is not to say what is contained within is any less intellectual and fascinating. I recommend picking it up if you like Derren's shows (Trick of Treat series 2 being on now and well worth watching), or if you have an interest in memory/behavior/alternative medicines/occult/paranormal etc etc.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I read that about three months ago Bitter, and I found it hit and miss too, but overall very good. It's great to get an insight into hypnotism, something which does really interest me, and his memory techniques are also great.

It was just excellent to read 'tricks of the trade' :)

I've just finished reading The Green Mile again. First time since it's serial release in 1996 (I could never find all 6 books in the same place, so never wanted to start in case I'd lost one :lol: ). Anyway, I sorted out my books a few weeks back and got all 6 together, so read them. They're a great set of books, and I loved the idea. Not King's greatest work, but still superb for the way he did it :)

Bitter

Mega Poster
Yes, the memory techniques are pretty sweet, although my friend who is into memory techniques says the ones he mentions are "old fashioned" and that he deliberately holds certain things back. I fully expected this however as it was intended for the public and as a starter book, not as an indepth guide to them. Also, he talks about his honesty in the book itself and how he wants to maintain at least some mystery, which I fully agree with.

The bits that I didn't really enjoy/aren't really enjoying are actually the more hypnotism/NLP/almost self-help bit of the book, which he mocks himself. Loving the alternative medicines/superstition/probability bits though, if you didn't guess from my other topic. He also suggests further reading into each section, which I'm sure will provide far more in-depth looks and further techniques for the person who actually wants to find out.

Another book I'm about to read after the above is Dave Gorman's "America Unchained". I went to the book signing/reading he did here in Manchester, not really sure what it was or what would happen for the £3 it cost. I had seen the DVD beforehand, and so expected to not want to buy the book, but just wanted to ask him questions really. It turned out to be hilarious, and made me want the book because it's so much more than the film, and I also got to ask him a question which he spent ages answering. He's a very funny man and I'm expecting to enjoy the book very much, and may look into his previous books if it is good.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
I read that about three months ago Bitter, and I found it hit and miss too, but overall very good. It's great to get an insight into hypnotism, something which does really interest me,

On subject of hypnotism i've read dan browns book - and it's good.. But tbh I prefer (and this is a bit embarrasing to admit) "the hypnotic world of paul mckenna".

Yes it's a bit old hat nowadays - but if you can find it.. it's actually a REALLY good book on hypnosis. It's easy to read (unlike some "dry" books on the subject), and covers all the bases from self hypnosis to stage hypnosis, how they work, how to do it, etc etc.

Nothing is hidden away as some "top secret trick". I'd recommend picking it up.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Bitter said:
Another book I'm about to read after the above is Dave Gorman's "America Unchained".

Ah dave gorman.. the funniest man ever to have come out of stafford (after furie of course)