What's new

What are you reading?

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I am reading Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix. Sometimes I just like to re-read them. Going through the whole series again. I am also reading other stuff on the side. I usually have like 3 books on the go :lol:

Deano

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
Sometimes when I read a book. My eyes still follow the words but my brain doesn't take it in. Then I'll get to a paragraph and I'll be like "hang on, what the hell is going on?" And I'll have to turn back a page or two to the last section I remembered. :lol:

Thats so annoying when that happenes. Especially when your reading a really good book.

Dolores Claiborne is a good book, but it's pretty dry. Green Mile I re-read the other day, and it's a really good, easy read

Dolores Claiborne was not dry! Well, I didn't think so anyway. There were a few parts where not much was going on, but I thought it was pretty consistent overall.

Ollie

CF Legend
My Doctor Who book has just got really good. :p
It's for those people who like to work things out rather than have it force fed to them. The stories are really good as well and you notice more on the T.V series when he makes references to events that happened in the books. :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm about half way through the D60 manual.

I figured I should read it all before Peru.

:lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sorry to double post, but I've moved on in my reading, so I need to post again.

I've finished the D60 User Manual. It was filled with loads of information that seemed oddly suited to my new D60 camera. Apart from that it was rather bland. There wasn't much use of imagery and linguistic techniques.

8/10. Informative, but bland.

:lol:

Now, I've started reading A Spot Of Bother by Mark Haddon (Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime bloke).

I like Mark Haddon's style of writing, so this book seems to appeal to me. Nothing much really seems to be happening in the first few chapters, but I think that the book is slowly gathering together stuff.

The characters seem well thought through, and realistic, and the way that the book is written, with short chapters and the odd swear-word to start the chapter, makes the reader want to continue reading.

A

Anonymous

I'm reading Milan Kundera-The Book of Laughter and Forgetting. I love it- its human, clever, if a little contrived at times. Also love how Kundera comments on the characters, and includes himself in the story arch.

Have just finished Girlfriend in a Coma (Douglas Coupland), a long time favorite. Couplands more serious work appeals, he's intellegent, and comments acutely on the excuses we make not to be, do or make anything real.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I'm reading Ulysses by James Joyce, it was recommended by a friend.... so far it's very interesting.... Lol an acquired taste though.... Definately

A

Anonymous

Ulesses is fantastic, but can be really heavy going at times. Joyces' writing style ids so complex, but the story's worth the work.

Ollie

CF Legend
Finished 'The Deviant Strain' last night. It's the third in the series of Doctor Who books. It's quite interesting because it's aimed at an adult audience they can describe the detail in a more interesting and gory way because they know children won't be reading it and if they did they wouldn't understand. :p

It's got quite an interesting story, but only made me go into that 'one more chapter' mode nearer the end.

Now I'm onto the next one that's called 'Only Human'. :p

A

Anonymous

Cool. I've read some of the Doctor Who books, mostly ones from the Tennant, Baker and McGann eras. They're much better written than most 'As seen on TV fiction', obviously written by people who love the series and understand the audience.

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha, about the graphic detail of the Doctor who books.

Before I even reached the first chapter (on the prologue bit) of 'Only Human' it describes in awesome gruesome detail of how a child cuts of his cat's tail and cuts it open with scissors and messes around with it's internal organs. :lol:

Can't wait to continue reading it now. :p

trav

Mega Poster
I'm not sure if I can put this in here, but today I've just read two awesome Mangas.

"Bloody Monday" was the first one. It was about a high school student who has the brainpower to be able to hack into Japans security system. This student's father is also one of the heads of the aforementioned security system. His father is framed for a death, and his son tries to prove him innocent. I won't post anymore, because it'll just give the story away.

The second I read is called "7th Period Is A Secret". It's very short, being only 3 volumes long (short?). But, those 3 volumes almost had me in tears. I thought it was unbelievably romantic, and it made me realise how much I love romance. I'll definatly be looking for other mangas similar to this one. Basically what happens is a high school student falls in love with her teacher (The teacher is very young), and the teacher likes her back, but they can't do out about it, which is proved when they get caught by the headmaster. It all ends well though, so it's all good.

I cannot recommend them highly enough to anyone who reads manga. I'm not sure if anyone here does read them, but I think there probably are a few people.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
I'm currently reading "On The Edge: My Story" by Richard Hammond.

I'm only a little way through but he describes what was happening the day of the accident and all details, then it goes on to his wife Mindy's story to I guess tell us the aftermath of it.

It's a good read!

Ben

CF Legend
I'm reading Orwell's Homage To Catalonia.

It's fascinating, and a brilliant read. What he says about the area, the people, and everything is just so true, especially in the first chapter. I wish I'd read it before I went to Barcelona though, so I could have been more "OMFG THIS IS WHERE ORWELL WALKED IN THAT CHAPTER!"

I'll report back when I've read more then 20 pages, lol.

PLCP

Mega Poster
I'm currently reading A Time to Kill by John Grisham for school. It's quite interesting so far, and even though rollerdude already ruined the ending for me, I'm sure it will continue to draw me in.