What's new

What are you reading?

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
mrclam said:
I picked up a copy of Rob Grants "Incompetence" from the airport for cheap on the way back (along with some other books)

.. Read the other books - not great.. Got to this the other day, and am reading it at every opportunity.

Loving it. Very very funny. And a great read.

Great EASY read.. well recommended for flights/train journeys/on the toilet reading.

Think I shall move onto this next then, 'twas nice of Mark to lend it to me :)

Currently reading The third book of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of four and I am absolutely loving it. Seriously, if I could, and if it were still possible, and if it didn't then cause some some temporal flux vortex collapsing several purple shaded realities, with all the biros mysteriously surviving and ending up on *that* planet (and quite possibly annoy a few admirers of Douglas Adams(or something to that effect)) I would marry his imagination.

Still halfway through American Gods and some other books I can't remember at the moment, but I'll get back to them at some point :p

Clam, I'd like to reccomend JPod, which I leant to Mark, and according to his post, he quite liked ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just finished reading American Psycho and to be honest it was one of the most gruesome and graphic and revolting books I've ever read, yet I enjoyed it a lot. First time a book has ever made me gag, so you know it was pretty detailed.

So yh I'd recommend it but only for those of a strong stomach.

I'm around page one hundred of Confessions of a Shopaholic, and it's very good so far. I'm quite into the girly books like that, which are funny and don't require too much thinking. It's an amusing book, and I'll probably be finished very soon, which will then require me to go and blow more money on the sequels.

9/10 so far.

Mark

Strata Poster
I have just finished reading The World According To Jeremy Clarkson... And Another Thing.

Totally class book. I have read both of these books now and they are both so funny. I really enjoy his cynicism about the world and it's problems. He also makes much sense and takes the royal phish out of certain celebs, politicians, royals and so on. Always good fun.

I love his little tags of "When I am prime minister" because to be honest, it really would be a good thing if he was....

We could all run round like 12 year olds in very fast cars and just be a nuisance then.

Plus the book is split nicely into chapters that you can read and put down again during the shortest period of time... Makes my train and tube journey to work every day a whole lot funnier. Although laughing out loud in public is hard to control and mighty embaressing. I'm getting there.

10/10

Macrae

Roller Poster
^ I think that'll be my next buy.

I'm currently finishing off Gordon Ramsey's autobiography. It's alright, worth a borrow but not worth a buy I'd say!

Finished "Confessions of a Shopaholic", and I recommend it to anyone who likes to laugh, guy or girl! It's a hilarious book, and it kept me wondering what was going to happen next. There are a few other books in the series though, so I'll have to go out and buy those.

10/10!

Slacky

Mega Poster
I just finished reading The Book of General Ignorance which is based on a TV panel show called QI (Quite Interesting). The contains 230 questions, which are really basic general knowledge questions, but they are hard. For example, there is supposedly over 70,000 planets in our solar system, The Earth has 7 moons & over 1 billion people have been killed by Marmots!

Shopaholic Takes Manhatten

It's the second book of quite a few in the series, and I'm a bit more than halfway through it. It's probably not a book that guys would enjoy, but I think most girls would love it! It's absoloutely hilarious, and it's just as funny as the first book.

9/10

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Reading through Chris Moyles: The difficult second book.

Just awesome, almost finished it. What a funny man he is too =] Must read for all, and his first book too!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The Science of Dr Who for me. Go Geeks!

Erm... I'm leaving this conversation rapidly now :)

The Science of Dr Who for me. Go Geeks!

Aww Furie is a geek.

Haha just kidding. If you look at all of the books I've had in my lifetime, most of them have been educational books. Even now, I have a bunch of educational books. Well, more so if you consider learning about serial killers educational, but either way.

Tomorrow when I go shopping I want to buy Shopaholic Ties the Knot for when I'm done the current Shopaholic book, but geez books are so damn expensive, so I might just wait. I mean, there's about five books in this series and two other books by the same author that I want to by, which with tax come to about $11.50, so I'm looking at $80.50 for the entire seven books. Yeah, maybe I'll just wait.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Aww Furie is a geek.

I don't deny it. I've read probably 10% of my total reading as "non fiction". That's pretty geeky. I also read a lot of "serious" mags and books for work.

It's something which is actually good. I can sit and play 'peep-oh' with a child, or run around screaming like a child about 'the big bad wolf'. Or I can answer topics about nanotechnology and stem cell research. I have a wide range of taste and interests. The 'geek' keeps me planted firmly in the real word. I counteract it with utter drivel and fantasy to keep me sane :)

That's the best way to be. I'm neither 100% dullard geek, or 100% drivel! :p

Haha, I was just playin' with you Furie. It's just fine, I mean, people would rather you be smart than a complete idiot. And also, as long as you're not one of those nerds who are completely nerdy, and have no friends (which you're clearly not one of those), than you're good.

I don't deny it. I've read probably 10% of my total reading as "non fiction". That's pretty geeky. I also read a lot of "serious" mags and books for work.

That's what I could say for me prior to last year. This year it seems to me that my level of intelligence has gone down in terms of my reading material. Now I'm reading all of this girly crap, but I love it, because it's hilarious.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I finished reading Save Me From Myself by Brian Welch a few weeks ago and it was fascinating.

I would recomend it to anyone.

" The amazing true story of an out-of-control rock star, his devastating addiction to drugs, and his miraculous redemption through Jesus Christ.

In February 2005, more than ten thousand people in Bakersfield, California, watched as Brian "Head" Welch—the former lead guitarist of the controversial rock band Korn—was saved by Jesus Christ. The event set off a media frenzy as observers from around the world sought to understand what led this rock star out of the darkness and into the light.

Now, in this courageous memoir, Head talks for the first time about his shocking embrace of God and the tumultuous decade that led him into the arms of Jesus Christ. Offering a backstage pass to his time with Korn, Head tells the inside story of his years in the band and explains how his rock star lifestyle resulted in an all-consuming addiction to methamphetamines. Writing openly about the tour bus mayhem of Ozzfest and The Family Values tour, he provides a candid look at how the routine of recording, traveling, and partying placed him in a cycle of addiction that he could not break on his own.

Speaking honestly about his addiction, Head details his struggles with the drug that ultimately led him to seek a higher power. Despite his numerous attempts to free himself from meth, nothing—not even the birth of his daughter—could spur him to kick it for good. Here Head addresses how, with the help of God, he emerged from his dangerous lifestyle and found a path that was not only right for his daughter, it was right for him.

Discussing the chaotic end to his time in Korn and how his newfound faith has influenced his relationship with his daughter, his life, and his music, Head describes the challenging but rewarding events of the last two years, exposing the truth about how his moments of doubt and his hardships have only deepened his faith.

Candid, compelling, and inspirational, Save Me from Myself is a rock 'n' roll journey unlike any other. "

John91

Mega Poster
i've just started reading Lewis Hamilton's "My Story" from what I've read so far it's very good. I wonder what he'll say about Alonso???

" The amazing true story of an out-of-control rock star, his devastating addiction to drugs, and his miraculous redemption through Jesus Christ.

Oh my, lol, doesn't sound much like my type of book.

Finished Shopaholic Takes Manhatten yesterday and it wasn't disappointing. Usually books get less good the further you get into the series, but not in this case so far. Still as funny as the first, yet there's still a bit of a serious side to it, so it's not all immature and girly humour.

I'd give it a 9/10!

Next would be Shopaholic Ties the Knot. Now that I've started I kind of have to read the entire thing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm reading 'Stonehenge' by Bernard Cornwell now. It's pretty good, and set in an era I'm particularly interested in.

It's basically a fictional tale about the tribe who built Stonehenge - inspired by the competing tribe at Avebury. It's pretty good, because Cornwell does a huge amount of research into his books. I also love that area and have spent some time around Stonehenge, Silbury hill and Avebury ring.

It's all this area here for those who think Stonehenge is our only decent Neolithic feature:
http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/england/avebury.html

Ooh Stonehenge is really interesting! It's the thing with all of the rocks, eh? But yeah, I've read a lot about it in books and stuff back when I had tons and tons of educational books (I seem to be dumbing down, lol) and I've always been fascinated by it.

Actually, the Great Pyramids of Egypt are also just as fascinating as Stonehenge. Actually, I'm more interested in the pyramids, because it's amazing how they moved the rocks and everything.