What's new

What are you reading?

Beans

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Anyway, Stafford is devoid of books about, well, stafford and staffordshire. The library is pants. Smiths had quite a good local section though and I spent half an hour reading up there... until it was suggested it was a bookshop and not a library (well, maybe the library should try harder) :)

I have a reasonable amount of sucess in secondhand book shops and small town museums, we have quite a few locally down here. Some small old English towns ie Petworth Sussex have a lot of books that can only be found on the secondhand market as they are out of print so Staffordshire shouldn't be any different, I always find librarys useless. I expect there all about canals and such up there. :)

Have now pr-ordered Lewis Hamiltons book out on 5th November. Need something as the parks will be closed from than :cry:

Well, I'm on book eight of the Georgia Nicholson series, which would probably be my favourite book series ever. The book is called Love is a Many Trousered Thing, and as with the other seven books, is full of hilarious happenings.

10/10 so far!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We've just started reading THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA by ERNEST HEMINGWAY. I'll see what I think becasue I wouldn't usually read that sort of thing.

I finished Love is a Many Trousered Thing like a week ago and it was great, can't wait until the next book!

10/10

I'm not reading the book The Green Mile and though I've seen the movie, the book is really amazing as well and they really go into detail about things (Delecroix's melting eyes, ugh). I'm on page 380 or something like that.

10/10 so far!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I read The Green Mile in its serialised form back in 1995. It was released as six parts, one part every 6 weeks (I think). So you got to the end of a book, and then had to wait because King hadn't written the next one yet. He gave himself just those few weeks to write each part, which when you consider how good the book is, it's a massive achievement.

A

Anonymous

I’m currently reading (Sure Fire, By Jack Higgins, with Justin Richards), and so far it’s a brilliant book, based on two twins Rich, and Jade, there both forced to live with their father And they must both deal with strange rules and threat of boarding school.

I will give an update when I have finished it, and tell you how good it was.
:p

I read The Green Mile in its serialised form back in 1995. It was released as six parts, one part every 6 weeks (I think). So you got to the end of a book, and then had to wait because King hadn't written the next one yet. He gave himself just those few weeks to write each part, which when you consider how good the book is, it's a massive achievement.

Yeah I was kind of wondering why I've seen them in separate parts so often. My grandma has like all six parts I believe and I remember I use to play with them when I was little, and then I saw like, all of the separate parts of the book in the library. However, the copy I have is the full one, which is good because I'd hate to have to keep going back and forth to the library.

Didn't know he only gave himself a limited time to write each bit though. Crazy stuff, and the book is very good.

Ben

CF Legend
Didn't know he only gave himself a limited time to write each bit though.

Because he was doing it as a serial? That's just a thought though. He probably figured out that if you leave years between books in a series, people get bored (that means you JK, did not care by the end). Although, obviously, they're not books, they're parts of one book.

And The Green Mile is brilliant. The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix is one of the saddest points in literature I've read. Coffey's death is sad too, but Eduard's is so much sadder cause he's so much cooler.

Jake

Strata Poster
I actually purchased my Psychology book and started reading it on the bus today! It's quite hard to make sense of (SO much harder than last year) but i'm managing :).

And The Green Mile is brilliant. The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix is one of the saddest points in literature I've read. Coffey's death is sad too, but Eduard's is so much sadder cause he's so much cooler.

The first time I ever watched the movie, Delecroix's execution was the part I cried the most at. In the book they go into so much more detail though and it's so disgusting. I didn't cry at all during the book which is surprising considering how much of a crybaby I am, but yeah, both Delecroix's death and Coffey's death were really upsetting, especially the way Delecroix went out.

Spoiler- Also, the part that really made me sad in the book was the part where Paul took his friend to go see Mr. Jingles, and then Mr. Jingles died.Spoiler done

I finished the book today and I like how it said what happened to each of the characters, and how they died. Sucks that Dean died so soon, and I liked Brutal and Harry (Brutal more though), so I was sad to hear they died. Also, they said how Paul's wife died which was a part they left out in the movie.

10/10, amazing book, amazing movie.

I've found that our school library has an abundance of King books so I chose another one, Dolores Claiborne, but I haven't started it yet. Hopefully it's not a disappointment/confusing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh, Dolores Claibourne is a very interesting book, but it's not like The Green Mile at all. It's actually a rolling tale which King does well sometimes. Nothing really happens, it just rolls along and you get to know the town and characters. It's something you'll either love or hate I think.

Different seasons is the King book you need to read. Apt Pupil and Rita Heyworth and the Shawshank Redemption are both utterly fantastic stories!

Oooh, Dolores Claibourne is a very interesting book, but it's not like The Green Mile at all. It's actually a rolling tale which King does well sometimes. Nothing really happens, it just rolls along and you get to know the town and characters. It's something you'll either love or hate I think.

Do you think it will be confusing? I get pretty confused at books easily, especially when there are more than like, five or six characters.

Different seasons is the King book you need to read. Apt Pupil and Rita Heyworth and the Shawshank Redemption are both utterly fantastic stories!

Don't think we have those in the library. There is the Talisman and Bag of Bones I know that for sure. Are they any good?

Ben

CF Legend
Do not read Bag of Bones. Like, ever.

Read The Shining. That would be my advice. Everyone should read that bad boy.

Do not read Bag of Bones. Like, ever.

Read The Shining. That would be my advice. Everyone should read that bad boy.

Oh, alrighty, but I can only read what's available to me in the library. The ones I can remember that are there are The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne, The Talisman, Carrie (wasn't too fond of the movie really), Firestarter, and some I'm not sure about but sound familiar are the Tommyknockers, Skeleton Crew, and The Dead Zone. Salem's Lot I'm sure is in there as well.

Why is Bag of Bones so crap?

Ben

CF Legend
It's crap because it just flits about going nowhere, trying to be all these different types of book in one, and just failing at life. As for the others (that I've read of course)...

Carrie = Ownage.
Tommyknockers = A bit windy and unbelievable, yet great.
Salem's Lot = Hard to get into, but excellent when you do.

Haha, alright, I'll probably give most of them a read at one point or another, perhaps not Bag of Bones because you said it's crap, as did many people in reviews that I looked up on Google.

Forgot to mention I'm also reading a play thing called Marty which is only like fourty pages long, but it's quite funny!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Can I make another quote?

Ben is quite right!

Carrie is a superb book. I didn't read it until about 1998, 20 years after the film was released and 17 years after I saw the film. It's great.

The shining will be the best book you ever read.

Bag of bones is bag'o'****e

Tommy Knockers will do your head in, but you'll love it too and you'll feel confused.

I read Salem's Lot a few weeks back, and the first chapter or so is confusing. Ignore it and move on and you'll find a really good book :)

Skeleton Crew is immediately forgettable (Like big apple credits) and the Dead Zone is worth a read once.

I've never read any of King's collaboration's with Straub, so haven't read Talisman...

IT will make you wonder why you liked The Shining :p

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Didn't know he only gave himself a limited time to write each bit though.
Because he was doing it as a serial?
King deliberately wanted to test himself by not knowing the end of the story when the first part was published. And came up with something awesome in the process.

"The Talisman" is a good read, but it's more fantasy than horror (with some Dark Tower crossover I think, along with the sequel "Black House"). It's one of those books that almost gets made into a film every few years.

Peter Straub is a stunning author in his own right, very adept at creating atmospheres. His last two are fantastic, "Lost Boy, Lost Girl" and the follow-up "In The Night Room" (which messed with my head).

My favourite King book is still "Misery", although "The Shining" is probably the scariest. And the film version of "Apt Pupil" was a travesty, the written version is original horror of a highly disturbing nature :).

Don't forget "Skeleton Crew" contains "The Mist", well worth a quick read.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't read, wish I did. Books bore me because it's too much hard work for my brain and I read very slowly, end up skipping words and "assuming" what things say. But hey, that's Dyslexia for you.

I'm sort of reading "Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze," because I love pointless and weird information. It's good fun, keeps me occupied at work.

I've only read two novels ever, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. They were awesome, just takes me far too long.