What's new

What are you reading?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I started Lisey's game by Mr King yesterday. Not sure why I keep supporting his newer work though. It's something a little different from usual I think, but it's a drag. Then again, I tried reading Bag of Bones again a couple of months back and couldn't do it. That was a one shot book, and I think this will be too.

It IS set in Castle rock, so I should like it, but it's doing nothing for me so far...

Mat

Hyper Poster
I am reading "The strange case of Dr Jekkl and Mr Hyde and other tales of terror. I hate it and easily get distracted, probably because this is the first book that I have read in 3 years!

I am only doing it because I have to, not for pleasure becuase I HATE reading, just too ****ing boaring!

I'm currently reading the book Night for school, and I can assure you that it's an excellent, excellent book.

For those of you who have ever read the Diary of Anne Frank, it's allong those lines, but it's about a Transylvanian boy (who is now much older obviously) and his family, who were taken to Auchwitz and had to endure some very horrible things.

The thing that makes me so interested in these types of books would be because not only am I really interested in the World Wars and the Holocaust, but also, it's gets my mind going and thinking about what I would actually do if I were in their situation. Being separated from my little sister and mother, seeing babies get thrown into a pit and burned alive, and lots more things that would like, scar me for life.

I guarantee I'll be finished this book in the next few days. It's just amazing and thought provoking, really.

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Then again, I tried reading Bag of Bones again a couple of months back and couldn't do it. That was a one shot book, and I think this will be too.

Bag of Bones is such bollocks. I'm about 150 pages from the end, and nothing is happening. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, because everything has been resolved...

It's such a bore to read the ****ing thing.

As such, yesterday I got round to reading Animal Farm.

I finished it two hours later :p.

It's brilliant. I think I prefer 1984, but only because there's more to read in 1984. Still, like, one of the best pieces of literature I've ever read.

I finished Night like, an hour and a bit after starting it, and it was definitely one of my favourite books to date. It's just so crazy to think that something as horrible as the holocaust actually happened, and in this book I really connected with the characters, and truly felt for them when something bad happened.

It was great, I definitely recommend it.

9.5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Bag of Bones is such bollocks. I'm about 150 pages from the end, and nothing is happening. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, because everything has been resolved...

It's such a bore to read the ****ing thing.

Don't read Lisey's story then. Christ, I've been at it for what? Three weeks now? It's just such a chore of a book.

It was slow, dull and (oddly for a King book), you don't care about the characters or setting.

Then suddenly it started to go all Clive Barker, and I got excited for a couple of chapters! Then realised it wa sin the final quarter of the book, and where Barker would leave it hanging at that point and then give you another three books to finish it off, Mr King is just rushing to get it all over and done with. So the only interesting bit of the book has lasted two chapters, and is now going to end in a typical, pisspoor King fashion.

I'm quite gutted about it really :(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Every one is clearly reading a lot! Too much to post about it :p

I finally finished Lisey's story thank God, another to consign to the "must not read again" pile.

Started on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince again. I wanted to read it just before Deathly Hallows came out, but couldn't find it. I dugh it out while sorting out the house though, so I'm reading it now.

After the lobotomy that was Deathly Hallows, it's great to read a good Harry Potter book. It reminds me why I was looking forward to book seven so much (and why I found it such a disappointment).

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I actually kind of forgot about this topic for a while. I've read quite a lot since last time I guess. A few of them here:

Michael Crichton, A Case of Need

His first book I think, and actually pretty good as a debut novel. It doesn't read like a movie script like his latest money-grabbers have.

Terry Pratchet, Monstrous Regiment

I really like Pratchet's one-liners, and his sense of humour in general really appeals to me. I just can't get into the stories of his books, this one included.

Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

I loved the other two books I've read of his (Neverwhere and American Gods), but this just didn't match up. It was good, but slightly disappointing as I'd been looking forward to reading it for quite a while.

Anne Rice, The Witching Hour/Lasher/Taltos

I really like most of Rice's "Vampire Chronicles", so gave her "Lives of the Mayfair Witches" a go.

The Witching Hour was amazing! There was just such an in-depth, detailed history of the Mayfair family that you can almost forget that they're fictional. She did this really well with the Vampire novels, too, creating a very real world, with very real characters, that it is easy to fall into.

Lasher just didn't maintain my interest in the same way as the first book. The focus was taken off the witches, and onto another supernatural entity, the Taltos, which just weren't as interesting to me.

Taltos was an improvement on Lasher, but still came nowhere near to The Witching Hour.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I've not been in here for a while either, and they've been piling up with me as well :p

Well, I'm currently reading Are YOU Dave Gorman? which is amazing on so many levels, partly because I love Danny Wallace, but mostly because its just an incredibly funny book.

I've also started Starter for 10 which I'm going to start reading properly once I've finished DG, and so far its in the same vein as above book.

Did read most of Brave New World, and I agree completely with SC, Auldous Huxely does seem kind of sympathetic towards the future, whereas 1984 is just scary through and through XD. Loved it though, good book.

Also managed to read some Tim Bowler, Apocalypse and Starseeker.

I'll start off with Starseeker. Simply - 10/10. Story isnt grand. Characters are normal people. Nothing amazing happens. Its just *SO* well written! Not since The Wind Singer have I ever truly felt an emotion to something in a book (Normally ending in me having to put it down because I'm shouting at it too much). Amazing. READ IT.

Apocalypse. 8/10. Less of a story, more philosophical. Its a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssee, in its level of vagueness. (Though, I like being able to decide what it means, I know of other people that weren't as keen on it.); and possibly Resident Evil 4 on a desert island? Characters are as lovable as ever, if a bit whinier. Though, being trapped on an island with no escape, not knowing whether your parents are dead or not and being chased by religious zealot savages might make you just the eensyest bit irritated. (also, don't worry, that was basically the summerised version of the blurb :p)

A

Anonymous

Just started "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West". She's green. And Misunderstood.

So far, a pretty good read.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Not to spoil it, but don't expect too much from how it ends. I found it all a bit rushed.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've just finished reading TUNNELS by RODERICK GORDON and BRIAN WILLIAMS. It's a really good story and hass a good plot. The speed at which the 'action' happens is great and it's quite a believable storyline.

I am currnetly reading THE DEVIL'S BREATH by DAVID GILMAN. The story is of a teenager who's Dad becomes 'lost' in the desert in Africa, and the boy's journey in trying to find his Dad. The boy has to overcome secret gangs and other perils.
The story is really good and the characters are well established, with a few clever twists on the way. I do recomend it.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Just started reading On The Edge, Richard Hammonds book, looking forward to reading how difficult it was with a brain injury and how Mindy coped.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Finished DEVIL'S BREATH now, and on to DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE. Hopefully the story will be good, considering that it has some awesome reviews!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've rediscovered sad. I'm currently re-reading the Han Solo trilogy of books (the story of Han leading up to Star Wars IV - A new hope.

I'm so cool! :lol:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's rare that I read but it's helping me relax at night.

I'm reading "31 Months in Japan" which is about a two Americans that are relocated to Japan to help build Universal Stuidos Japan.

It's a fascinating insight into how Americans settle into the Japanese culture and customs, plus loads of information on the building of the park.

It's written in a diary style so it's easy to read and informal. I struggle to put it down.

Well worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/31-Months-Japan-B ... 0595345840

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm gonig to go to library this afternoon and spend my free time researching the History of Alton village and the Towers.

My sadness is deepening in a disturbingly geeky way! :lol:

Beans

Hyper Poster
^

I have a few pictures of the Chained Oak if you want them for your research Furie, if you have not been there yourself(I bet you have). If your like me you never visit anything local, but I do love a good local history research I have many local books for where I live and have discovered some of my relatives from the past in them.
I am reading alongside the Richard Hammond book family/local history book to do with my family research. Your not the only geeky person.

Next on my list will be Lewis Hamiltons book when it is released! Now whos sad!!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I've been to the oak a few times :)

Anyway, Stafford is devoid of books about, well, stafford and staffordshire. The library is pants. Smiths had quite a good local section though and I spent half an hour reading up there... until it was suggested it was a bookshop and not a library (well, maybe the library should try harder) :)

Erm, couldn't tell you exactly what I read, except for Minstrels in the Court, which was a fanscinating look at the history of the court jester and minstrel from the Roman times until the 18th century. Fantastic stuff, but it didn't help with my research about Alton.

Anyway, Alton research stil lcontinues to be elusive, which suggests that, as several sources state, the Towers and grounds were desolate until 1820.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I haven't posted in this thread for AGES!!! *slaps self*

So to compensate, here's what I've been reading (more or less in order):-

Book Of The Dead (Kevin Brooks) - Good characters, quite menacing & violent!
Maximum Ride (James Patterson) - Fun, bit lacking in structure, will read more.
Nightworld (F Paul Wilson) - Final part of the Adversary Cycle, alright but his Repairman Jack series is better!
Old Kingdom Trilogy (Garth Nix) - WOW, fantastic fantasy, over too soon.
Fat (Rob Grant) - Funny and dark, although I'm not 100% convinced on his science.
To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - Good, but not amazing.
Vellum (Hal Duncan) - The guy can write but JESUS WEPT get on with it! Gave up at 300+.
The Intruders (Michael Marshall) - Disappointing, MM(S) has done much better.
5th Horseman (James Patterson) - Alright, his usual sort of stuff.
Echo Park (Michael Connelly) - Pretty damn good cop thriller, as usual.
Death Match (Lincoln Child) - Decent near-sci-fi, not a patch on Utopia though.
Childhood's End (Arthur C Clarke) - Much darker than I expected! Quite philosophical.
Harry Potter 7 (JK Rowling) - Yeah yeah, much discussed already!
Wind on Fire Trilogy (William Nicholson) - WOW, damn good, esp. Slaves Of The Mastery!
The Traveller (John Twelve Hawks) - Good modern fantasy/sci-fi, didn't need the rant at the end but I've bought the sequel.
1984 (George Orwell) - I hadn't read it! Stunning & terrifying, although I did find the ending predictable.
Mr Monday / Grim Tuesday (Garth Nix) - Initally messy but develops into very enjoyable fantasy romp.
Jonathon Livingston Seagull - Nice little parable, bit spiritual for me though.
Lord Loss (Darren Shan) - Horror for "kids", good character work & surprisingly gory on occasion!

Onto my annual Repairman Jack fix now, Bloodline. Love this series!

Gutted that Lisey's Story sounds pants, it's been stuck on my shelf for ages and I needed some motivation. Haven't got any now! :(