What's new

Thoughts on Saw

Mike

Giga Poster
Ollie said:

There are only 3 coasters that I've been on that I have voted as being "10/10" rides.
These are Boulder Dash, Phoenix and (disagree as you may) Lightning Racer.
How ANYBODY could even consider putting Saw on the same level as these 3 coasters is FAR beyond me...

kimahri

CF Legend
I just had a brief conversation with Plod and Arly.

We've come to the conclusion that when Ollie FINALLY went on saw. He hated it.

And he is currently in denial.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I just love the way Ollie complained about spoilers and then filled his review post with them without any form of warning whatsoever :p

collins

Roller Poster
I thought I would give my thoughts on saw as I managed to get a ride on it on Friday. The park was packed, so as we got in we headed straight for Saw to see a 2 hour queue line. So me and my mate decided to go in the single rider queue.

The queue line I thought was quite effective. Great use of the CCTV cameras and video footage of people queueing.
Whilst queueing the ride broke down for about 15mins, but nothing too bad. We were only 10m (behind about 15people) from getting on the ride but for some strange reason the woman letting people through didnt really give a damn about the single riders and let cars go with empty seats. (or by splitting up groups of people who queued the whole 2 hours. Which made a really small queue end up being near to 40mins, which is still better than queueing 2 hours.

Eventually got on the ride and sat front row far left of the second car. Great to have that extra preview of jigsaw talking but as we went round the corner to go down the drop....the ride broke down. I managed to see all the effects working but when it broke down they all stoppped. It was quite annoying because many people couldnt see the drop etc, but when the lights come on you could see everything in there.

By the time the ride started again the lights had gone out but the swinging blades wernt in action yet. However the crossbows were which I thought was quite a good effect.

Due to the ride being broke down with us in it luckily the tv's kicked in at the right time and instead of sitting at the bottom of the lift hill, we engaged straight away and were off. I thought the first drop was very good (first ever eurofighter) but my god, that bump at the bottom of that hill was very painful. It knocked my head straight into the restraint. Unpleasant experience considering the rest was very smooth and loved the air time hill.

I also thought the positioning of the onride camera was very high considering you were descending the air time hill. Therefore making every picture of you looking down.

Overall I thought the ride was far better than my expectations track wise. The inside drop was by far the best part of the ride (alongside the air time hill) but the effects where very mediocre especially with the swinging blades looking like cardboard cutouts slapped with some glow in the dark paint.

Not bad, but could have been a heck of alot better.

marc

CF Legend
Not sure about Ollie but I split my rating system up as I can not compare a Hyper coaster with a Eurofighter/family coaster.

Saw for me gets a 4 Speed 6 and Rage 8.

As Ollie said when the crap effects are not on the coaster is even worse and not as good as Speed and Rage. The effects help the ride a tiny amount, I can say this as I have been on with and without effects.

Alot of people that are going on Saw rate the lift hill and the drop, but if you have done Eurofighters before you know what to expect so this part no longer bothers me, 1st time on Rage it did.

I still stand by my view once most people have been on Saw they will go back to Inferno and Stealth and say they are better. Cause lets face it they are more thrilling coasters.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah I wouldn't say Saw is the best ride in the park thrill wise but is my joint favourite ride in the park with Colossus., but it's definitely the most fun and I love to go on it. Every time we're about to go on it I get really excited and just love the atmosphere or the queue-line and station.

And my rating was compared to the other Eurofighters I had been on. If I compared them all to the likes of EGF and Black Mamba then nothing would ever get over a 5. So I just rate them on how much I enjoyed the ride and how much they got right and usually compare it to the other types of coaster there are.
Saw is easily the best Eurofighter I have been on, it's got a nice long layout, a great theme and it's just a really fun ride. Which is why I rated it much higher than Rage and Speed with their tiny compact layouts with barely any theme.

jamesw12

Roller Poster
I think the indoor part of the ride could have been a lot better. The first drop was good but the inline-twist or barrel roll ( w/e it is ) would have been better if it was taken in the dark because you can see it coming.

The headchoppers we're good but again like a few people have said the one at the bottom of the lift hill you don't really notice. As for the "bump" I did notice it from the Front Left Seat and when you watch people on the ride from the queue line their heads really get thrown forward.

Both the airtime hill and both the inversions we're good but overall I think they could've made this ride so much better..

To me it feels like they were most interested in just keeping the costs of it down which I know makes sense from a business perspective but it's just a shame.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
southend_marc said:
Not sure about Ollie but I split my rating system up as I can not compare a Hyper coaster with a Eurofighter/family coaster.

Saw for me gets a 4 Speed 6 and Rage 8.

As Ollie said when the crap effects are not on the coaster is even worse and not as good as Speed and Rage. The effects help the ride a tiny amount, I can say this as I have been on with and without effects.

Alot of people that are going on Saw rate the lift hill and the drop, but if you have done Eurofighters before you know what to expect so this part no longer bothers me, 1st time on Rage it did.

I still stand by my view once most people have been on Saw they will go back to Inferno and Stealth and say they are better. Cause lets face it they are more thrilling coasters.

Surprised you rate rage over speed there.

I actually felt the theming was the poorest aspect of the ride, but a> the indoor surprise is one of the nciest elements i've had, and b> after the drop, the rest of the ride is very very good.

Rather surprisingly, I rate it above inferno. I was expecting it to be somewhere between rage and speed. Maybe this will change on my next visits once the "novelty" has worn off

I also tend to rate coasters on what they are, rather than what they aren't (colorado adventure get's 10/10, cos it's probably the best family coaster out there)

marc

CF Legend
I just did not enjoy speed may have been the rain I don't know but I found the layout did not flow at the mcbr killed it.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Saw in comparison to the other Eurofighters I have ridden:

Saw 6

Rage 7

Speed 8

Saw lacked something. Perhaps when I revisit Thorpe and ide again, it may go up one, but something was missing.

Emmett

Giga Poster
caffeine_demon said:
Rather surprisingly, I rate it above inferno. I was expecting it to be somewhere between rage and speed. Maybe this will change on my next visits once the "novelty" has worn off.

:shock: , above Inferno. You mustn't like Inferno then.

Compared to the other Eurofighters I've done Saw rates high but I'm judging it along with the theming and the indoor section. Like others have said its the outdoor section which lets the ride down.

But if I was rating Saw along with all ther other coasters I've done then it would probably only get a 1 or 2.

nealbie

CF Legend
^ YAY FOR FISH LOVEAGE!!! :p

I think at Thorpe, "Saw: The Occasionally Open Ride" fits in well.

I mean it's broken more than it's fixed, chavs love it and flock to it as such, it's a half arsed job and it's "thrilling" :wink:

I do occasionally love Thorpe though, which I suppose explains why I like this occasionally working coaster! :lol:

spicy

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
^Anyone who rates Stealth that high up has problems. :p

Ollie said:
I wouldn't say Saw is the best ride in the park thrill wise but is my joint favourite ride in the park with Colossus

Judging from that, I think we both have :p