What's new

Thoughts on Saw

Emmett

Giga Poster
^ :lol:

^^I'm guessing during the Fright Nights the atmosphere will be much better in the dark and with the addition of the actors. Even the holes in the walls were letting the light in during the day.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
They've recently controlled queues through dark sections on both X:\NWO and the Vampire. I think there is some restriction on dark queues.

Tom

Hyper Poster
I thought Saw was excellent today!

I got such a fright on the stairs when it was silent and then suddenly there was this massive bang...

I think the indoor coaster themimng could be a bit better though. The outdoor section was pretty fun though.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Old Health and Safety is the reason...

Mainly for evacuation reasons, packed queues indoors are not easy or good to evacuate...

Empty, they are easier...

Ollie

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
^ So thats why X No Way Out's queue line is almost pitch black?

Good come back Ollie ;)
Yes but it's not as dark as it used to be since they've put the new lights in the tunnels. Plus you don't have any steps or staircases to cause hazards. And they let you through in groups from the outside queue so you're not stuck standing around in the pitch black sections.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ You joking with me Ollie?
Theres one point where it is totally pitch black, no lights at all and the wall is smack in front. (just before the ramp bit) I walked into it 2 Tuesdays ago. I was walking around feeling the walls, it was THAT dark. X's queue line needs more lights!

They've recently controlled queues through dark sections on both X:\NWO and the Vampire. I think there is some restriction on dark queues.

Nah, it's regulated because of fire risk.

We have to hold people outside, so in the case of a fire occurring, it's far easier to evacuate them. :)

marc

CF Legend
Ok well if health and saftey is that important how do you get out the outside Saw queue easily as I could see no gates or anything to get out of it.

You either walk to the entrence of the queue or to the building.

I am still trying to think why I dislike the ride so much, people either seem to love it or not like it that much. Its just left me feeling nothing and I think thats probably why a total none event really I would not miss it if it was not there.

Emmett

Giga Poster
The only gates I spotted were at the straight section just before you enter the building. A couple of staff members opened large gates on both sides of the queueline to access the area at the back of the building. But I think this is the entry to get vehicles in and out as there was a cherry pickers parked up when I was there. Could'nt spot anything else.

nealbie

CF Legend
If it was like at a park that isn't owned by one of the "big 3" as I see them, then I think it would be a fantastic coaster to everyone, but I feel because it's owned by Merlin that people feel that it should be much much better. I sort of agree with them, but let's face it they weren't trying to make a new signature ride, it was just an addition to the line-up.

When all of the effects are working it is a very good ride, yes they should have made the building extend to the bottom of the lift hill and have something to entertain you as the car is caught by the chain. Having said that some of the effects like the aisle of crossbows, WTF? They're just annoying at best :lol:

Also, having been on the ride without the effects working, other than the indoor drop which is ace, it's pants. But I do really like the ride and for some unknown reason feel the need to defend it, because other than that super painful bottom of the main drop I personally feel it has a great layout :p

Ollie

CF Legend
I spy a couple of CF'ers. :p
saw34.jpg

marc

CF Legend
Thats the thing though Neal I dont think it matters where the coaster is I just simply did not enjoy it, as I said I think Rage and Speed are better.

I did not think much of the effects so working or not working it made no difference, for me it was just something to laugh at tbh thats how poor I thought they were.

Brean made an effort with their ghost train, AI made an effort with Over the Hill, both small parks and both have done a far better job with theming.

The inside drop is good and the airtime hill is good but thats it, the coaster is forceless and I dont like forceless coasters. I enjoyed Cobra more at Paultons.

Yes I might be over critical and to picky, but what is the point in beating round the bush?

I can honestly say I dont care if I ride Saw ever again.

Ollie

CF Legend
May as well write my views on the ride now. I wanted to wait until I'd been on a mix of cars, seats and rows as everyone has been saying how much it varies.

To start with It's a great ride. It's definitely a front row ride though as the back row can't see much inside and I feel it would of been better if the back row was raised so you could see over the seats in front.

The second car is the best as you get the extra speech from Jigsaw on his bike. But it means that you stop twice inside the building (Jigsaw bit and on the crossbow corridor). which ruins the pace a little.
The head choppers were really cool. The swinging axes were much bigger than I expected and the spikes seems like the only thing beneath you before you drop so that makes an amazing headchopper.
The crossbow corridor could of been better. I feel that the air covers too much an area. It just feels like wind and it should be lots of controlled bursts like Pirates 4D used to have. so it actually feels like an arrow missing you rather than a flock of geese.
The inline twist over the body is cool. Although you couldn't tell it was the bathroom scene if the body wasn't there. The scenery just starts halfway down a dark corridor. The water that sprays up from the body is a nice effect but I didn't get hit by it so I don't think it's actually spraying high enough to reach the riders today.

Onto the outside. The screens and timer before the lift-hill was a nice idea, but like others have said, once you pass under it you just sit there waiting for the chain to catch. It does work well in a way as he says "Game over" and then it's like you pass under it to meet your fate. The short wait at the bottom (it's only a few seconds) gives people enough time to look up at the tower and think "Oh ****!".

The drop is cool and gives a some nice ejector. The spinning blades are quite hard to see but you can see the structure clearly so you know it's there and it does seem directly below you until you swoop under it.

NOW... THE BUMP!!!
Myself and I'm sure many of you have heard that there's a nasty jolt at the bottom of the drop. My first two rides at the back were fine and it was like it wasn't there. I then spoke to Neal on MSN who said "Well actually you only feel it on one seat (front right)". Well how can you class a whole coaster as rough when it's only one seat?
So anyway on my last ride today on Saw I decided to go front right to see what all the fuss about. Yes there is a odd rough section at the bottom of the drop but it's nowhere near as rough as people say it is. It doesn't shake you around, it doesn't make your head bang into the restraints. It's just a small bit that's slightly rough. Most people riding didn't notice it and it only seems us enthusiasts know it's there as for some reason we all thought it would be a silky smooth ride? :?

Anyway round the track we go...
There is quite a bit of speed and the layout is good and twisty. The airtime hill was great and shot you straight out of your seat. And the side that descended adds to it because it goes off to the side.
You could hardly notice the trims and you just fly through the breaks like it's just a straight section of track and plummet down the other side.
The dive loop is good fun as it's small and forceful.
Then you bank round and up to the left onto the break run and that's the ride. :)

Overall Thoughts:
The ride was great. Thorpe have really worked hard to get the themeing right to please fans of the films and to create a really dark and sinister atmosphere that scares you as you queue. The ride relies too much on rider being on the front row to see things and it would of been better if the back row was raised slightly higher like on Oblivion so all riders get a good view. The effects were good but I can see the ride being dull if they were broken.
The overall layout is great and makes you come back to the station wanting more. Every time you ride you seem to notice something different.
So yeah, great addition to the park. I hope all they do now is make sure they keep it running as it's been breaking down alot recently. And to keep all the effects working and not leave them to rot like they have done with past rides.

9.7/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I'll add that I can see over the seats in the back row as I'm tall, so maybe only a slight raising would be beneficial otherwise the ride experience during the whole ride would be affected for those such as myself.

I thought that you would rate it higher Ollie :p

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, it is only horrid from that seat, it is (as you say) not headbanging painful, it's more a terrible uncomfortable jolt in your lower back. Quite grinding, but by the overbank you've forgotten about it :lol:

I do agree Ollie, I do love the ride, just not from that seat :wink:

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Today it was running very smooth compared to the last few weeks. And all the lighting was working this time in the bathroom scene.

The bump at the bottom of the drop is still nasty after a few rides. You can see that flat spot with a sharp pull-up with the eye now. Smooth that out and the ride will be perfect. I notice it more probally with my back..

I do love the ride though. Very addictive.