What's new

Thoughts on Saw

marc

CF Legend
Rage does as well though, I prefer the back as I dont get beat up as much.

I found no difference on Speed but only rode that twice.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Please forgive me for not reading through this topic, I've just browsed the first page and this one..

I'm surprised at how much everyone says it varies from seat to seat.

Yes this has been mentioned a few times on the couple of pages I've looked at, whats this all about?

And whats with the second car in the station, does some video get shown whilst you wait about?

I obviously cant judge the ride as I haven't been on it, but by looking at all the videos, it doesn't look much. It looks as if it trickles through its elements (like all EuroFighetrs) and is very short, yet everyone is having sex about it?

marc

CF Legend
Well one of my mates saw the Saw advert so went to Thorpe today to ride it. Needless to say the advert says now open, even though its not been open for days now.

They complained and got tickets to go again.

Thorpe should pull the advert until Saw is fixed.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
And whats with the second car in the station, does some video get shown whilst you wait about?

Just before the indoor drop while the first car goes moves off, Jigsaw appears to the side and talks to the second car. You are only waiting for a short time. I was expecting alot more from what I previously heard.

neo

Mega Poster
Well, I rode Saw – The Ride last Monday and overall, I think the ride is very good. But without going into spoilers I can’t say much more about what I liked/disliked about the theme. As a roller coaster, the outdoor section is a lot of fun. It is rough, but only in a couple of places. And that airtime hill is dreamy, very fun indeed.

To me, Saw – The Ride had to have the Saw atmosphere to be good. Indeed, the musty feeling aroma in the initial corrugated metal tunnel was right in line with it. However, The Rack from Saw III, which is situated in a rather cramped corner, is somewhat dismantled from its former Technicolor glory. The motors have been removed, along with some of the head restraint, which was disappointing for a fan.

The rest of the queue was ok, but it never achieved the Saw atmosphere. This was due to one crucial reason, Jigsaw’s voice; it was clearly not Jigsaw. If Tobin Bell or even Costas Mandylor had done the spiels, they would’ve nailed the atmosphere. Unfortunately the voice proved to be a disappointment. Consequently, I’m not sure it does the franchise justice.

Although on a positive note, I cannot stress what a good touch those shotguns are, and what hilarity ensued when a group of schoolgirls were behind me, absolute genius!

The indoor section of the coaster is great. Although the axe pendulums were not swinging on my visit, Billie the puppet, on his (broken) tricycle was cycling and talking. The spiel here was respectable, but his mouth should have moved more realistically, it did in the films, slightly disappointing.

The rest of the indoor coaster section is good, if a little unimaginative (cross bow corridor for instance, seems overlong). And the blood-squirting body would’ve been more effective, if the water actually looked like blood, nevertheless it’s still a highlight of the ride.

Upon exiting the ride, Jigsaw informs guests that “the games have just begun”, but this wasn’t backed up with anything. It seemed pointless and a bit confusing. If however, they placed some more shotguns in there, which went off at the end of the spiel. It would’ve been a much better ending.

Still, that prop from the Saw IV posters is marvellous; it was fascinating virtually seeing Tobin Bell in real life.

Saw – The Ride is a good roller coaster, a fantastic combination of horror and ride system. The theme could have been done better, but considering future circumstances regarding contracts Thorpe Park have created a respectable roller coaster.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ a good review, neo. Everyone seems excepting that Merlin have created a good coaster, it such a shame about the reliability.

I think Saw adds a lot to Thorpe Park, it's very different from anything else availible at a Merlin park, a great addition and a good choice of coaster.

cp23

Mega Poster
Anyone got any idea how long Saw will be out of action for? I'd planned to go to Thorpe next Wednesday but if Saw's still not working then I won't bother.

What a great start to the new season!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Its funny that Thorpe have managed to make even the most reliable of ride types, un-reliable!

Is there anywhere I could see any pictures of the themeing indoors? Having seen all the Saw films, I'm intregued to see what people are talking about, mainly because I cant seem to picture the 'trap' they're describing.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Went on SAW today and I was really impressed. The indoor station and queue line were really impressive but not 'amazing' as some people have said. The ride itself is pretty good and the air-time hill is fantastic! I think the best part of the ride is before the lift hill but I wont ruin it for those that havn't been on it yet ..... ollie

Overall great addition to the park :)

Ollie

CF Legend
^I've already had it ruined for me several times now. It sucks as I should of been one of the first to ride it and now everyone else has got on it already and spoilers are everywhere.

cp23

Mega Poster
Glad it's up and running again, really really hope it stays that way until at least next Wednesday (although preferably a lot longer than that!!).

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
^I've already had it ruined for me several times now. It sucks as I should of been one of the first to ride it and now everyone else has got on it already and spoilers are everywhere.

You are just jealous that you're not the one holding all the spoilers! :wink:

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Ollie said:

They are everywhere, but its you who are clicking or reading them.

A

Anonymous

Emmett said:
A good few indoor photos on this page Martyn.

http://ukrides.info/tpsaw.htm

I haven't managed to go on saw yet (hopefully tomorrow!)
But from the pictures the theme looks really good, but I really think the mannequins look terrible, they seem to completely ruin the traps. Couldn't merlin have got Madame Tussauds to make some gory severed legs etc?

I hope they look better irl.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Thanks for posting that link Emmett. Shame they didn't have more pictures of the traps.

Dont no why but I expected the loading area to be really dark and eery, but looking at them pictures, it shows the station being quite bright. And Thorpe really should invest in staff uniform to fit in with the rides.

WuTang2k2

Roller Poster
This ride was fairly disappointing for me. Theming is fairly good, but the ride wasn't nearly as intense as I thought.

Then again, I'm not sure why I had high expectations anyway. I just sort of thought because the trains are so short, it meant that the transitions could be tighter. I thought the 100 degree drop was going to have crazy airtime, but there was none - in fact, I find the Oblivion drop much more exciting, where you feel some weightlessness - which must be to do with the weight of the train or something.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I think most people agree that Dive Machine drops are better than these 'beyond vertical' drops. I am one of them.

Quick question, how often will the live actors be in the queue?