Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Hixee said:
coasterdude_1 said:
It is indeed the break run- B&M still use mechanical trims (not magnetic). They only use their magnetic brakes at the end of the ride (and even then, they just use them before a bank of normal mechanical brakes, which is why suddenly alot of B&Ms have obscenely long brake runs (or seemingly two)).
Firstly, I think lofty was being sarcastic. I don't know what you're talking about in terms of the magentic/mechanical trims. B&M recently retro-fitted Silver Star with magnetic trims, so it doesn't seem unlikely that they'd install magnetic trims on a brand new ride. The reason why they use mechanical brakes after the magnetic ones is that a magnetic brake cannot fully stop a train. Look at any coaster with magnetic brakes on the final brake run, they'll all be followed by a set of mechanical brakes to stop the train.

The reason the brake runs are so long is that they are a double set of blocks. The brake runs are capable of having two trains sit on them at once. Even though it looks like one long piece of track, they can have multiple zones along that one section.

No. The first set brakes have banks of magnetic brakes only. No mechanical brakes. Therefore as you state (and as I knew before) this cannot be a block section as there is no way to failsafe-ly stop the train. It's the same on wild eagle, leviathan etc. There is no double block- and it'd be stupid to have one, especially as there'd be no need for this to have more than two trains...

On the note of long brakes on the newer rides, B&M seem to use huge spacing between their magnetic brakes- it's not like intamins where you just get a huge concentration of plates -> shorter brakerun

Apologies about my trims comment- I didn't realise they'd retrofitted SS. As far as I'm aware though, their trims are still being implemented on newer rides in mechanical form.

Thirst

Roller Poster

Sorry guys, you are all wrong. The difference between those two trims is that one (the longer one) is permanent and is always in place. The shorter one is on hydraulics and so can push the magnets inwards so that they also act as breaks. My guess is that its so that according to the speed the train enters the station the movable brakes can be implemented when necessary.

Thirst

Roller Poster

Well obviously the person who asked the question, and those who subsequently tried to answer it.

Why make such a childish comment.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Because it was almost as boring as sifting through the fanboy garbage in here. Wow. Two different types of brakes. Thrilling. Let's go balls deep into a debate about which type is which on a Saturday night.

ry1996

Mega Poster

^ Agreed, we know it's a break leave it at that, It will slow the ride down or bring it to a stop that's it.

themeparkguide

Roller Poster

just got back from the park and here's one of the lots of photos I took today.....

DSCN0032.jpg

Idlewild

Mega Poster

jordypordy11 said:
*Hopes developers dairy will be nice* :roll:

To many metal bolts on my cornflakes for me.

OT: Now that the seasons over, who will be able to do updates?

Ethan

Strata Poster

Idlewild said:
Now that the seasons over, who will be able to do updates?
Are you serious... you just quoted it yourself. The developer's diary! Who else could, seeing as the park is closed, and you won't get much of a view from outside the park...

Idlewild

Mega Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I meant appart from the developers diary.

You may be able to get a good view from the north side of the lake, but you would need a good zoom lens.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

I really like the idea of blowing up these fire engines for the theming. Cheap, but clever. Does anybody know where they are being stored now? I'm guessing they are in the hotel (former mill) site?

the king

Mega Poster

The plane has started formation. I do wonder how go-merlin get these pics.
Plane-1.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Isn't that just from the webcam? I'm fairly sure it is, it's exactly the same as all the other ones we see.

Looks a bit like they're constructing the plane from scratch.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

But more importantly, looks like the corkscrew is up...

02kbd.jpg

Which means that the track is almost finished! :--D

Looking really good now, especially the interaction between the bottom of the zero-G, the inclined loop and the corkscrew... :p

ry1996

Mega Poster

^ Yep it's up there. Looks great right now, especially now the theming is taking shape.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm just pleased that so far, they're sticking to the original plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.