What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Can it be made clear AGAIN that the trim at the bottom of Swarms drop is there for evacuation purposes in case they have to stop the ride at the pre brake run after the inline twist. By the way its trim not trims, what other trims can you see in the pics?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Eh? The trim at the bottom of the drop is to slow the ride down if it's going too fast into the second element. It has nothing to do with evacuation. You're talking about a MCBR, which no manufacturer in their right mind would put at a point where it's impossible for the train to continue the circuit. Plus, it's clearly a trim and not a brake run, it's short.

The trim will be there to ensure that the ride operates at a comfortable tolerance level for the riders, but it has nothing to do with evacuations or actually stopping the ride.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

LOL.

Evacuation brakes consisting of 1 single fin and at the lowest point of the ride? Amazing! Must be a launch as well.

spicy

Giga Poster

I think what he meant was the trim would be used to slow the train down so that it could be stopped on the first brake run after the inline twist.

Still ludicrous but not quite as bad :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend

I thought it was mentioned before about it only activating if the train valleys, it helps it come to a hault a lot quicker? Makes sense in a way, Air has one too in the tunnel.

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster

Yeah like Airs one. What I meant was it could be used to slow down the ride so it could be stopped on the brake run after the inline twist instead of the train going through it like Rita does with its brake run. I never meant they could evacuate people at that point because that would be stupid.

Ben

CF Legend

^To be fair, that idea is still stupid.

Why slow it down, and risk it stalling, at the FIRST chance, why not trim it later in the layout if it was for that purpose?

Or just... add more brakes to the last brake run.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

120 posts read back...

Oh yeah, Dave said (completely unsubstantiated) that it was for that reason. Must have missed it or completely ignored it for some reason :roll:

Rita goes through the brake run because it's using magnets and on a decline. Magnetic brakes don't stop a train in motion completely.

Are the trims on Raptor magnetic or friction? I'd assume magnetic nowadays. I doubt in a million years B&M would put in place "procedures in case it valleys at the fastest point of the track". They know it's not going to unless the ride is shafted, and if it's shafted, they wouldn't need a trim to slow things down.

Though I'm happy for somebody to prove me wrong :)

Beans

Hyper Poster

Update from Developers Diary

THE SWARM - Developers Diary
‎300 ft of chain is now installed on the lift hill. The incline loop will be finished this week, with more track arriving next week! Its going up fast!

oriolat2

Giga Poster

About the trim after the first drop, I know Tatsu has one at the bottom of the pretzel loop in case the train valleys. This way the train can be held in place until everyone has been evacuated. To me, this trim looks more like a safety trim (not a safety block) than an element to kill some speed...

the king

Mega Poster

Woah. Things are now going fast. But one thing that surprised me the most is the mentioning of more track arriving. Surely all the track must've been there in the first place. Anyway, doesn't matter, can't wait to see the theming go up.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

the king said:
Woah. Things are now going fast. But one thing that surprised me the most is the mentioning of more track arriving. Surely all the track must've been there in the first place. Anyway, doesn't matter, can't wait to see the theming go up.
Most of the track probably won't have been on site straight away. They'll have needed the room to store it all. I would have thought they'd have maybe 50% on site, then the rest arrives when there is room for it.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm basing this on their Hypers... when they actually trim the speed, they tend to be about half way up on an incline, which I guessed was because you wouldn't notice it as much (thirteen!), thats why this being an evac brake made sense to me, as its at the bottom of the element.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^The point of the trims on the hypers is to make sure the train doesn't overspeed the parabola so, like you said, it makes sense for them to be as close to the start of the parabola as possible. With Thirteen I suspect the trims are to stop the train overspeeding the bottom corner (see I305). If this trim was to make sure the train went through the zero-g perfectly then it'd be on the uphill section, much closer to the inversion. This will be an emergency trim to stop the train more quickly if it valleys.

B&MintaminGCI

Roller Poster

Idk, Nitro has trims at the bottom of the second hill that activate during the ride, and the another one after the hammerhead at the bottom.

I am so stoked for this ride to finish and start testing, i want to see how it takes the drop.

ry1996

Mega Poster

I don't think the trim will effect the ride that much tbh, i can't believe were going down the trim route again.
The coaster will be great and at the minute it looks beautiful, Can't wait to see some theming in there soon.

Nic

Strata Poster

Oooooh, I didn't know about the whole evac trim thing. Never heard of those before. I guess I'm just not that geeky! ;) Ah well, I guess you learn something new every day! I like that theory a lot better than the assumption that it's a DIRTY trim, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

kimahri

CF Legend

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxFkzg8G64&feature=related[/youtube]

I do have to hand it to thorpe. They've managed to get me interested in construction topics again (outside of a quick glance every now and again, more so in Parc Asterix Invert). Should sound fap worthy when it's running yeah? Does raptor have any sort of B&M deep growl to it regardless of volume?

*ignoring the fact this conversation has probably already been had*

peep

CF Legend

^Raptor is fairly silent, doesn't have a proper B&M roar like Nemesis. Then again, maybe Swarm will? [/notbeinghelpful]

Status
Not open for further replies.