What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I'm so glad they are theming that box support round the twist, it looks awful as it is now!

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

By the way, does anybody know what is the expected hourly capacity for The Swarm? I don't about Raptor but I guess it must be similar...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Probably the same.

This coaster is shaping up to be great....especially the interaction between the inclined loop and the corkscrew! :--D

My only worry is that it might be too short...

And now...

With the circuit complete, work has begun on testing the clearance between the ride track, columns and theming elements. A 2D Saftey Envelope which clips to the track and mimics the space required for the vehicles (and guests arms!) is placed at key points to ensure adequate space is available

pGNE1.jpg

All taken from the dev diary.

Lofty

CF Legend

I am so looking forward to seeing the theming go up around the ride. It's already looking promising.

spicy

Giga Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

So there isn't adequate space there then because that is clearly touching the themeing that is being constructed?

Smithy

Strata Poster

That slight straight bit where you're horizontal for a second looks like it might be a bit painful, not sure.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

spicy said:
So there isn't adequate space there then because that is clearly touching the themeing that is being constructed?
It does look weird doesn't it... I don't think it's resting on it though, I think it's in front of. Still don't understand how it'll pass through there though. I'm sure it'll make sense, not like any of us are construction workers who understand wtf is going on anyway.

Lofty

CF Legend

Smithy said:
That slight straight bit where you're horizontal for a second looks like it might be a bit painful, not sure.

I've never heard anybody say that transition on Raptor is painful. Ever. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

-lofty- said:
Smithy said:

I've never heard anybody say that transition on Raptor is painful. Ever. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Raptor was silky smooth and I don’t remember any manoeuvre being uncomfortable, the harness was a little uncomfortable in general and actually more comfortable when upside down for some reason. It seemed to get tighter and tighter as you went round.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Agreed, Raptor is soooo smooth!

Personally, I found the restraints Ok, to be honest, and yes perhaps they're quite tight, but that just gives you that extra sense of security (better tight than loose eh?). They're kind of breath with you...when your chest goes up, they go up...

UPDATE:

Now that the track is complete, we are conducting the clearance testing to re-inforce all previous safety measures

rggzJ.jpg

Again, from the dev diary.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

See, now that doesn't look like it's going to fit through that gap either, but the train definitely will as it's a support, not some extra piece of theming. I suspect it (and the previous picture) are just suffering from tricks of the light! :p

nealbie

CF Legend

Based on similar gear seen on the National Geographic Channel - that'll be maximum physical reach (ie: a lanky **** like me) over the top of the train. So it's all good.

Or the second largest theme park operator in the world got it mega wrong. One or the other. :p

kimahri

CF Legend

Brb, going to fap. Then again the lead in into that is a little weird... it's like RCT3 going from a 90 degree banked corner but upside down.

I still want to get on this on opening day D:<

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

nealbie said:
Based on similar gear seen on the National Geographic Channel - that'll be maximum physical reach (ie: a lanky **** like me) over the top of the train. So it's all good.
No, I'm fairly sure that envelope will easily encompass "a lanky **** like you". ;)

nealbie

CF Legend

Hixee said:
nealbie said:
No, I'm fairly sure that envelope will easily encompass "a lanky **** like you". ;)
Precisely, everyone was going on like it was just the train and TOO big. I'd had enough of the facepalming ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Indeed, it'll be the maximum rider reach of the tallest person physically able to get on board. The actual train is way within that. It's still going to seem very, very close. The first pic does look weird though, but I think it is an illusion.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

My bet is that that isn't the actual clearance envelope, it's probably enlarged to make it seem like there is less space; another crappy marketing ploy from Merlin.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Hixee said:
See, now that doesn't look like it's going to fit through that gap either, but the train definitely will as it's a support, not some extra piece of theming. I suspect it (and the previous picture) are just suffering from tricks of the light! :p

If that inline twist is anything like the one on Raptor, then the trains will easily fit through the support gap :)

DSCN0106.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend

I love it on Raptor how there's like an assault of near miss after near miss!

dominoes

Mega Poster

That thing is just about the size of the train I don't think it is the size of the hole as some people seem to.be suggesting

Status
Not open for further replies.