Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

rich210uk said:
marc said:
1st new coaster in the uk I have looked forward to since Stealth.

What about Thirteen?......

Is there any others that has that first drop? I cant think of any :?:
You are right no coaster at that point had a trimmed 1st dropped :). I never looked forward to 13 after seeing the layout and that it was a tame family coaster.

I had done a Megalite and could see the 1st and corner would be nothing like that. 13 was a bad idea from start to finish, they should have just built a Megalite.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I know this isnt the right topic so ill end it here but I cant believe they spent that much on it! :shock: for that! :) Never mind hopefully the next one will be an improvment.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Nemesis Inferno said:
Tom G said:
Yes, I knew that, and the best way to respond to sarcasm is with sarcasm as there's nothing else as retarded enough to suit it.

I'm making a comment on the track as it stands in the latest pictures. I find it underwhelming, why is it so hard to believe that I have that viewpoint? I simply don't find its size in general impressive, and no I wasn't expecting anything more - I would be describing it as 'disappointing' if that were the case.

Aside from being a tit, there is actually no real way you can tell how a coaster truly looks from any form of media...

As such, a photo from the opposite side of the... 'channel' I guess separating Swarm with Stealth IS NEVER going to give you a full indication of the sheer size of this thing...

Look at where the entrance to the island is going to be, right under that first drop... That is going to be such a visual impact to guests I don't know how it can be underwhelming in any shape or form... It's also the second tallest ride in the park, and probably about the same length as Inferno, and longer than Stealth... No-one ever called Inferno underwhelming just by looking at the damn thing (when being built, and let's ignore the whole vs. Nemesis stuff here)...

It's hard to believe because you're just constantly negative even more than I bloody am about ANYTHING related to Merlin... And how anyone can be negative for the first B&M since Inferno I haven't a clue, because every enthusiast has been clambouring for one, and yet when one turns up, a minority decide to be bloody negative about it because it looks underwhelming. Even though it's 120ft, has THAT first drop, and will most likely be the best coaster at the park easily if it can be anywhere near as good as Raptor...

How about calling it underwhelming on opening day when it's gliding around you with riders screaming loudly as it slowly twists before the first drop... Then you'll realise where your negativity has got you...

The day when I'm defending a ride at Thorpe... I need to lie down...

We're talking about it NOW, as it looks like NOW. I've already said I think it will be a brilliant experience with such a large budget that will have a large part on theming and landscaping.

Just accept that not everyone **** over B&Ms and not all enthusiasts are the same, or you may never sleep again if you keep pulling your hair out over it.

Jake

Strata Poster

Nemesis Inferno said:
How about calling it underwhelming on opening day when it's gliding around you with riders screaming loudly as it slowly twists before the first drop... Then you'll realise where your negativity has got you...

How about calling it good on opening day when you've ridden it?

You can't have a go at someone else for slating a ride before it's open, THEN force your opinion of how amazing it's going to be on them when you haven't ridden it either. Thats just hypocritical and stupid.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Would rather be hypocritical and positive about this though than just constantly negative with very little reason... I am excited for this especially as I loved Raptor, so simply put because I liked Raptor I think this will be good...

If I hadn't ridden Raptor, I wouldn't call it either good or bad... Even based off other's opinions as it seems very marmity on here, so what's the point in just being negative because it looks short? So does every other ride in the UK but that's not moaned about when it comes to Stealth, Oblivion or Nemesis is it?

Then again, it's the in thing to hate Merlin overall these days... They get moaned at for not building a B&M, then when one gets built it gets called underwhelming, I really don't understand some enthusiasts viewpoints these days...

Nic

Strata Poster

In my opinion, I don't think it is underwhelming. Well, it kinda is from the pictures, but when I actually saw it (well, the parts that were done then) in the flesh at GF it actually looks huge. I think its size is actually quite intimidating. It's also quite disorienting, as it's proportions look totally different depending on what angle you're looking at it from. e.g. from the Stealth station, the Zero G (or whatever you wanna call it) looks almost the same height as the first drop, but once you walk round to near the hospitality tent, you realise it's quite a bit smaller. Once it's got those huge trains flying round it, with the awesome B&M roar, I'm pretty sure it's going to look both impressive and intimidating.

Besides, Raptor is fab, so if this is even slightly better, it's gonna be awesome <3

marc

CF Legend
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Totally agree with you Nic, it looks huge when in the park.

The theming is hiding the dirty trim :)

nadroJ

CF Legend

marc said:
Totally agree with you Nic, it looks huge when in the park.

That's DEFINITELY what she said ;]

I do 'get' the whole it's a bit underwhelming sentiment, I thought and felt the same thing about Raptor, even up until seeing it in person. It's only when I rode the thing that it showed it's true colours. I think wing-riders might be a sneaky kind of coaster. I think we are all forgetting one vital thing which literally MAKES the ride: the trains. Even with most coasters you can't tell what it rides like until you've been on it anyway, but I think with wing-riders this is the case even more so. I just think we all need to take a step back and stop presuming how the thing is going to ride and make our minds up once we've all been on it.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

That inline twist looks about the same length as the one on Baco ,but your taking this one alot slower . There's going to be alot of hangtime on this amazing machine.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

Does anybody know what the construction is actually focusing on now that the track is complete?

the king

Mega Poster

Would most likely be the church, to get all the electronics done. The other teams would continue with the theming.

TarinMaria

Mega Poster

I can't even begin to explain how excited I am for this ride. The track looks incredible, and when the scenery is completed, I'm sure it will look amazing. For the amount of money they've spent on this ride, it should be immense. I can't wait to ride it when they open in March.
Are there any plans of the trains?

Lofty

CF Legend

TarinMaria said:
For the amount of money they've spent on this ride, it should be immense.

Sorry, I had to pick up on this, to be totally honest, it doesn't matter how much they spend on a ride, money doesn't mean everything, some rides can be pretty costly but ride like **** to be totally honest.

Are there any plans of the trains?

I don't think there are any available to be totally honest with you, just look at the concept art for the coaster, that will give you a good idea of what they'll look like. Grey, black and red eyes, if I remember correctly.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

^No, for the amount of money Thorpe have put into the ride it SHOULD be immense, as in, it SHOULD be good enough to get people in to pay the money back for it, at the current time we don't know whether or not it will fulfil this (but it probably will)...

Not the same as saying, it will be good because lots of money has been put into it...

TarinMaria

Mega Poster

I did say should, I didn't say it WILL be immense, just that it should...
I just wanted to know, because explaining what the train will look like to someone who hasn't got a clue what a 'Wing Rider' is, is rather irritating... :L

Ollie

CF Legend

This looks amazing.
308126_141458452624231_115673268536083_118826_380562152_n.jpg

From the Swarm dev diary.
After passing through the near miss tower, the vehicles roll upside down as they fly over the station and queue line, coming perilously close to the deystroyed remains of the church roof.

Edit. They posted this as well.
377403_141457555957654_115673268536083_118824_950939510_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.