Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Nemesis Inferno said:
Tom G said:
It's very underwhelming. I wouldn't shatter your dreams.

Yes, seeing a 120ft B&M being built is underwhelming...

...Not to mention that this is the first Wingrider coaster in the UK, and second in the world. That in itself should fill people with excitement.

dominoes

Mega Poster

FaceYourNemesis said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Tom G said:

...Not to mention that this is the first Wingrider coaster in the UK, and second in the world. That in itself should fill people with excitement.

Oh, and don't forget the tons of near misses, fire, and water effects...

Aaron

Hyper Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

dominoes said:
fire, and water effects...

Yeah, until they break and don't get repaired... :p

I don't think it looks underwhelming at all! That first drop with the twist should be brilliant!

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

And the ride is very different even from Raptor, so it really will be the first of its kind, especially with this new 'THORPE PARK Inversion', which I'm looking forward to experiencing.

Intricks

Strata Poster

^ Then why is air still seen as the first B&M flyer? A different layout means nothing, it is still the 3rd of its kind (1st announced, 2nd completed of the 3 as Wild Eagles trackwork is done).

Will need to start watching this thread again as Wild Eagle has lost interest due to no testing for a while now :(

Switching between the hideouts'...

rich210uk

Mega Poster

Yeah, until they break and don't get repaired...

TP dont seem to like repairing their theming in the past ive notice. Although, Ill give them there due, this year quite a lot was working I think Merlin put a bit more effort in than Tussauds. The Nemisis tunnel and the Tidal Wave flamer thrower wasnt working.

I think when Tom G refers to Swarm as underwhelming he means the track length and layout. From the photos ive seen it doesnt look much and the photos get a lot of comments like "is that it" and "where’s the rest of it" The whole package, theme and ride together will make it an exciting addition. They could have made it longer though :wink:

Its great to get one of these in the UK, but in my eyes its not new or a worlds first. The same train concept is basically like the ones used on Furius Baco all the way back in 2007. I cant imagine the experience will be much different to Raptor either, that first drop will make it unique but not a ground breaking worlds first, Gardaland got that title (I think) :)

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster

efb5334b.jpg

Well in my personal opinion after the Zero G Role it does look a bit tame but everyone is allowed their personal opinion note my opinion is bassed on the track layout itself the true test will be when I ride it!

devilsrule911

Roller Poster

Coasterfreck said:
Well in my personal opinion after the Zero G Role it does look a bit tame but everyone is allowed their personal opinion note my opinion is bassed on the track layout itself the true test will be when I ride it!

I actually think that the element right after looks relatively intense, considering how much lower it is to the zero g roll.

T0M

Hyper Poster

rich210uk said:
I think when Tom G refers to Swarm as underwhelming he means the track length and layout. From the photos ive seen it doesnt look much and the photos get a lot of comments like "is that it" and "where’s the rest of it" The whole package, theme and ride together will make it an exciting addition. They could have made it longer though :wink:

Its great to get one of these in the UK, but in my eyes its not new or a worlds first. The same train concept is basically like the ones used on Furius Baco all the way back in 2007. I cant imagine the experience will be much different to Raptor either, that first drop will make it unique but not a ground breaking worlds first, Gardaland got that title (I think) :)

Thanks, precisely! I don't doubt it'll be a great experience with all of the effects and theming etc. The track layout and size IS underwhelming to me.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster

Tom G said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Tom G said:

I'm glad we're in agreement.

Wait...are you serious? Please tell me you knew he was being sarcastic...

Oh and I know it's down to personal opinion, but I'm failing to see how Swarm is in any way 'underwheming'. A good example of underwhelming would be to have a theme park telling you months on end that they're getting a thrilling, intense coaster..."every ride of you could dream of in one", even, just for it to end up being a shoddy kids coaster with a medocre indoors drop...sound familiar?

It's great that the track's already complete, two weeks ahead of the schedule according to the developer's diary. Can't wait to see all the theming coming together for the island.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Enigma Shadow said:
Wait...are you serious? Please tell me you knew he was being sarcastic...

Oh and I know it's down to personal opinion, but I'm failing to see how Swarm is in any way 'underwheming'. A good example of underwhelming would be to have a theme park telling you months on end that they're getting a thrilling, intense coaster..."every ride of you could dream of in one", even, just for it to end up being a shoddy kids coaster with a medocre indoors drop...sound familiar?

It's great that the track's already complete, two weeks ahead of the schedule according to the developer's diary. Can't wait to see all the theming coming together for the island.

Yes, I knew that, and the best way to respond to sarcasm is with sarcasm as there's nothing else as retarded enough to suit it.

I'm making a comment on the track as it stands in the latest pictures. I find it underwhelming, why is it so hard to believe that I have that viewpoint? I simply don't find its size in general impressive, and no I wasn't expecting anything more - I would be describing it as 'disappointing' if that were the case.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ Then why is air still seen as the first B&M flyer? A different layout means nothing, it is still the 3rd of its kind (1st announced, 2nd completed of the 3 as Wild Eagles trackwork is done).

Swarm was announced first, and is mostly like to open first, so I'd say its the 2nd of its kind.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Well in my personal opinion after the Zero G Role it does look a bit tame

Well tbh...it IS going to be tame.. in terms of forces. It's a new-school super long drawn out zero-g, with a slow rotation through a sustained zero-g force.

But just because it's tame doesn't mean it won't be awesome! Being that high up, weightless with nothing above or below you while rotating! IMO it'll probably be one of the best elements going, esspeically on the front row.

I think if people expect high force, they should reconsider if they don't want to get dissapointed. But I think this ride will shine regardless.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Tom G said:
Yes, I knew that, and the best way to respond to sarcasm is with sarcasm as there's nothing else as retarded enough to suit it.

I'm making a comment on the track as it stands in the latest pictures. I find it underwhelming, why is it so hard to believe that I have that viewpoint? I simply don't find its size in general impressive, and no I wasn't expecting anything more - I would be describing it as 'disappointing' if that were the case.

Aside from being a tit, there is actually no real way you can tell how a coaster truly looks from any form of media...

As such, a photo from the opposite side of the... 'channel' I guess separating Swarm with Stealth IS NEVER going to give you a full indication of the sheer size of this thing...

Look at where the entrance to the island is going to be, right under that first drop... That is going to be such a visual impact to guests I don't know how it can be underwhelming in any shape or form... It's also the second tallest ride in the park, and probably about the same length as Inferno, and longer than Stealth... No-one ever called Inferno underwhelming just by looking at the damn thing (when being built, and let's ignore the whole vs. Nemesis stuff here)...

It's hard to believe because you're just constantly negative even more than I bloody am about ANYTHING related to Merlin... And how anyone can be negative for the first B&M since Inferno I haven't a clue, because every enthusiast has been clambouring for one, and yet when one turns up, a minority decide to be bloody negative about it because it looks underwhelming. Even though it's 120ft, has THAT first drop, and will most likely be the best coaster at the park easily if it can be anywhere near as good as Raptor...

How about calling it underwhelming on opening day when it's gliding around you with riders screaming loudly as it slowly twists before the first drop... Then you'll realise where your negativity has got you...

The day when I'm defending a ride at Thorpe... I need to lie down...

Mark9

Roller Poster

rich210uk said:

A few pointers.

- Not new or worlds first. I find that okay.
- Same train concept as Baco and Raptor. I find that okay to.
- Experience not that different to Raptor. That my friend, is absolutely fine. If we can have a bit of Raptor at Thorpe then I'll be first in line on every visit next year.
- Getting the worlds first title isn't the be all and end all. Nemesis wasn't the first, Dragons Fury wasn't the first, Manta wasn't the first, Katun wasn't the first, i-Speed wasn't the first. Worlds first may get you bragging rights but it doesn't equal excellence as Furius Baco knows full well.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

If we can have a bit of Raptor at Thorpe then I'll be first in line on every visit next year

Very true, its a lot easier to get to Thorpe Park :)

I dont care if it isnt a worlds first, theres a lot of talk about it being just that and it isnt. Its a great addition to TP and it will help distribute the crowds better in whats a quite a small theme park. What they really need to do is fill in all the lake and keep building!

marc

CF Legend

Everyone is allowed their own views etc and I can see where Tom is coming from.

For me I cannot wait to ride this due to the 1st drop, it's new and different.

This coaster needs it's theming and if it's done to the plans it will be good. At the moment it's just a coaster on mud, come March the area will look very different (I hope). 1st new coaster in the uk I have looked forward to since Stealth.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

marc said:
1st new coaster in the uk I have looked forward to since Stealth.

What about Thirteen?......

Is there any others that has that first drop? I cant think of any :?:

devilsrule911

Roller Poster

rich210uk said:
marc said:
1st new coaster in the uk I have looked forward to since Stealth.

What about Thirteen?......

Is there any others that has that first drop? I cant think of any :?:
He probably didn't think it was that special. It really is just a drop tower in the middle of a coaster. If he wanted that experience, he could have ridden a drop tower and a Zierer, and probably could have gotten a better experience out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.