What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I had to LOL at what it actually does after all the hype...

But anyone whos asking for Corkscrew back over this is just being silly.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^The 15 million will go into everything, I'm sure we had a similar discussion with Saw last year, and I don't particularly want to revisit that...

No doubt since it's new equipment as well it'll cost more as well...

Novas

Mega Poster
The backlash on Altons Facebook page is hilarious, they appear to have shot themselves through the foot with a bazooka with this video.

Watching it again, the ride clearly is not finished. I think they were under alot of pressure to get this TV spot and they should have just left it.

Ben

CF Legend
KieranHowellsOakwood said:
i didnt see any of the bootcampers , they where ment to ride first. (i know one of them)

This was my first thought as well (shows how much I care about the ride)... They'll all be (rightfully) annoyed if they're not getting what they were told they would!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It all looks very rushed and unfinished. I suppose that "ride working on opening day" is better than "fully themed and broken ride on opening day" though.

Few things though.

First, I'm not going to comment on the ride quality until I ride it. It looks like a fun little kiddy coaster - which is pretty much what I always though. I imagine it will be fun like Cobra at Paultons is.

Second, I've said all along it will really depend on what "the secret" is. Well, it looks like it wasn't anything secret at all. There could still be lots of special effects and everything else to make it wonderful, but I just somehow doubt it. It looks like it is a real disappointment in terms of what Alton have promised.

This is the main issue people have with the ride - it's not giving what Alton promised. It's supposed to be a "thrill ride to please the hardcore adrenaline addicts" or whatever it was Russel Barnes said. We knew it wasn't from the layout, so it needed the "psychological fear" aspect to be top notch. From this "sneak peak" it's not got it. The entire thing falls a mile short of what Alton promised the ride would give. So the ride for me looks like it always did, something a bit fun, not great, but alright - as Benin says, a kiddy coaster to replace a kiddy coaster. So that's what we saw, that's what we got, but it's not what Alton said. Ho hum, shouldn't be shocked really.

The thing I think is really disgusting though is the fact that the "boot camp" competition winners aren't the first members of the public to ride the coaster. I think it's actually quite disgraceful to offer a prize which is then given to a bunch of regular coaster enthusiasts for a cheap TV slot. Why weren't the Boot Camp winners on that show? That's just plain rude to be honest, very bad show Alton, very bad show indeed.

neo

Mega Poster
I think Thirteen looks really good. A thrilling family coaster, something you’d take your parents/brothers/sisters on and all come out laughing from. It’s not Nemesis or a mega-lite, but it does look fun and great for families. A worthy successor to The Corkscrew in my opinion.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
As Novas said, the Alton facebook has recieved a huge bashing from people saying it looks poo.

I wasn't getting my hopes up but I was dissappointed. The coaster itself does look fun, and the drop looks like it could be a laugh, but it just feels like Alton have marketted it terribly. I know it's unfinished, but I'm struggling to see how it's gunna play with your emotions so much just with the addition of whatever effects are gunna be in there.

It was good to see in the video that there's a door that comes down to make it dark in the drop section though.

The thing I think is really disgusting though is the fact that the "boot camp" competition winners aren't the first members of the public to ride the coaster

Somebody posted this on the AT facebook, and Alton replied saying that the bootcampers will be the first public riders and are riding thismorning. To me the coaster club are public riders. Bootcampers should deffo have got the first go.

I'm still looking forward to riding it, I'm just kinda cringing on Alton's behalf for bigging it up so much for such a let down to so many of the GP.

Ben

CF Legend
Somebody posted this on the AT facebook, and Alton replied saying that the bootcampers will be the first public riders and are riding thismorning. To me the coaster club are public riders. Bootcampers should deffo have got the first go.

Where is this, out of interest?

Edit - Never mind found it. I just wanted to stick my nose in and say it's bull **** too :p

Tony

Hyper Poster
Well that is VERY disappointing! The layout just looks dull... The vertical drop thing looks kinda cool though but as a whole this even looks lame for a family coaster! They should have gone for something like Jet Rescue: http://rcdb.com/4293.htm?p=0

If they added the worlds first to a layout like that, then that would be one hell of a family coaster :p .

Nic

Strata Poster
Who the hell where those people on the ride, and where did they get them from?

Also, the drop looks cool, and I'm still hopeful for some special effects.

The coaster itself though looks a bit rubbish. But then, we knew that from looking at it anyway.

All in all, meh. queuing in the pissing rain on sat for that is not going to be a fun game.

A

Anonymous

Based on the feedback from the GMTV coverage of the ride I'm going ahead with plans to open my own cinema. You won't watch the movie yourself but instead will watch video footage of me watching the movie, again going by the feedback this will give you the exact same experience.

Watch this space for more information.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Dunno bout everyone else and this backlash, but I'm impressed! The theming looks like it will be more extensive than I orginally thought. I loved the completely enclosed final helix, and the fact the door closes behind you when you enter the building. I look forward to the effects/music and everything.

I also think it' fits nicely into Alton's coaster line-up. Look forward to riding.

Nic

Strata Poster
Oh, and how exactly was the drop a "surprise"? Is there anyone in the universe that didn't know about it already?

Oh, plus, do you think there'll be some better TV ad's now that they've supposedly let the cat out of the bag?

#pmbo

Roller Poster
I have to say that I'm also disappionted, but then everyone hopes for a 'Nemesis-class' coaster from Alton Towers everytime they build a new ride and people will get disappointed.
Taking a step back, I think this will fit in nicely. Better theming than Corkscrew, IMO, and something the whole family can enjoy where they can't on Oblivion, Rita and Nemesis.
I think the extensive hype was a waste, really. Surely everybody's curiosity will get the better of them and they'll go and visit if they only released the adverts instead of all the coverage they did. Now they've got hundreds on Facebook complaining at what a let-down this is...
Alton Tower's new chav target? :)

marc

CF Legend
When the door stops working just like on Baco it will be nice a bright for the drop lol.

I do admit the backwards helix looks ok.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
bob_3_ said:
Dunno bout everyone else and this backlash, but I'm impressed! The theming looks like it will be more extensive than I orginally thought. I loved the completely enclosed final helix, and the fact the door closes behind you when you enter the building. I look forward to the effects/music and everything.

I also think it' fits nicely into Alton's coaster line-up. Look forward to riding.

I don't have a problem with the ride. I also think that for the public - the people who really don't have a clue - it will be a superb ride experience for them. I think it will be short, but fun.

It's just that Alton have pushed it as the next biggest thrill ride, which it clearly (to us enthusiasts) falls very short of.

So as an enthusiast, it's not what Alton promised. As a ride it'll be fun. As a "product" to sell to the public it will be a hit :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
ECC apparently...

Sure someone who has watched it will tell you for sure, but to say that they look bored amused me, since all the majority of coaster club people (i.e RCCGB, ECC, ACE) look like that on any ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.