What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Vadge said:
Yes... so.... who was that fat bloke and the other goons?

Justin Garvanovic, head of European coaster club.
It came up at the bottom of the screen on the actual programme when I recorded it, it's not on the web version though.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
One of my favourite comments on the Alton page at the moment:

Air, menesis, oblivion and sonic spinball are in a different league to thirteen.

SPINBALL? Alton must be doing something wrong for people to think Spinball is above Thirteen.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^^I wouldn't want to be with the humourless bunch in that video regardless :p.

I've caught up with the YT version of the vid.

[This is spoilerish, but only mildly].

I actually like it! The crew being in wraith outfits is amusing, it looks like fun going out and around the trees (the version of this coaster model in Bakken was surprisingly enjoyable), all the transitions except for the track slide look snappy, some major trick track, and a reverse helix in the dark? I'm in.

World's most thrilling ride? No. Better than other recent top-level new coasters in Europe (e.g. Novgorod, Anubis, bluefire)? Probably not. Fun? I reckon it will be.

marc

CF Legend
Lets be honest I do not think many people would have had a problem with this coaster if Alton had not totally messed up the advertising.

Had it not had a SW and was just "we are getting a new family coaster" it would have been better than "worlds first" "age limit" "get extra health cover" etc.

They are the things that have now come back to bite them.

Other than that as a family coaster it does look ok, it does what a coaster does in Orlando (trying not to spoil, did not like that coaster btw was boring lol).

As Slayed said the coaster in Bakken was ok, it was smooth and well ok good family coaster which is what this will be.

It will be level with Spinball which is in the gap between the Mine Train and Rita as far as I am concerned.

I agree the Corky had to go was to old, but the Corky did offer younger people the 1st chance to invert. This offers hum nothing as most kids would have been on the Frog Hopper thing, sorry it does offer going backwards.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Madame_Furie says:
Madame_Furie said:
Everyone is a complete bunch of miserable gits. The ride looks like it's really good fun and the drop looks really scary. Really looking forward to riding it

So there you go :)

A

Anonymous

Ollie said:
Still don't know if you'll get even slight airtime in the back over the first drop though. The whole ride looks kinda force-less.
According to what Justin posted on the ECC mailing list then there is some great pops of air in the back...

Tim

Roller Poster
Haha, who created an account just to post that ridiculous Cinema analogy?

Yes I could tell whether a movie is good based on people's reactions. I work in a similar industry and that is actually one of the stages we use to get feedback on a product.
They do it for hollywood professional level films too. You can tell pretty damn well how engaged or entertained someone is just by watching them...

But regardless, I think the ride looks cool!
It has a neat station and the layout is the sort of swerving fun stuff I like in this type of mid-range ride.
The drop track transition is new. And comparing it to a six-inch wobble on Winjas stinks of clutching at straws for ways to mock the park.

I have heard that the effects for the drop focus on the idea that the floor is collapsing and dumping you into a crypt. Perhaps there will be the creaking sounds of an unstable structure and a nice snapping sound to accompany the fall.
I'm a sucker for well composed audio-movement synchronized moments, so I'd love that.
Filling the lower room with fog to heighten the illusion of disturbed masonry would be a neat trick too, if they go that far.

My only problem (again, as it has been with Thorpe too) here is the marketing. It has the subtlety of a crotch kick and the tact of a crotch kick from behind.
People know the Alton Towers brand and they enjoy it. The teaser trailers are great! The only thing they need to be told is that there's a new ride, and they'll make the trip.That's fine.
But the little bits of crap stuck in the newspapers are horrible- I haven't met a single person who hasn't just laughed at them, enthusiast or otherwise.

I will make my trip and I will ride and I will enjoy it for whatever it gives me. But unfortunately, thanks to some horrible marketing, I will always have a bad aftertaste of being treated like an idiot in order to get me there.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Alton have got the marketing totally wrong on this and I am pretty sure others will agree.

The fact its been marketed in the way it has, means people are likely to expect a new thrill ride, a coaster which is going to rival Nemesis & Oblivion at towers, but instead they are going to be treated to a family ride.

I've nothing against the fact its a family ride, I just find the marketing tactics totally wrong on this one and it would of made alot more sense to advertise 13 as a new family coaster.

It might be a good coaster, but I get the feeling alot of people will be disappointed by it.

marc

CF Legend
loefet said:
Ollie said:
Still don't know if you'll get even slight airtime in the back over the first drop though. The whole ride looks kinda force-less.
According to what Justin posted on the ECC mailing list then there is some great pops of air in the back...

There is some hope then, I was told it had been trimmed but could not see any tbh. I could see some strips but they did not look like trims.

A

Anonymous

Tim said:
Haha, who created an account just to post that ridiculous Cinema analogy?

Yes I could tell whether a movie is good based on people's reactions. I work in a similar industry and that is actually one of the stages we use to get feedback on a product.
They do it for hollywood professional level films too. You can tell pretty damn well how engaged or entertained someone is just by watching them..
A little different then the point I was trying to make, watching someone else watch a movie you have no idea of it's content. Yes it gives you an impression of whether or not a person is enjoying it but to continue with the movie theme alot of people think The Godfather is one of the best movies of all time, but if you saw me watching it you'd see an extremely bored person. As with anything people's opinions differ.

So basing an opinion of a ride and it's theming based entirely on a video where we don't see the ride from anywhere near the angle we'd see sat on it is ridiculous.

Mike

Giga Poster
Vadge said:
Oh, and how exactly was the drop a "surprise"? Is there anyone in the universe that didn't know about it already?

The woman presenter from GMTV?
That's the proper reaction that coasters should bring out of people!

That bloke who was in the front row was an absolute nob.
Like, how the presenter is ****ting herself, and then he goes "We're not even 60 feet" in the most monotonically boring voice ever. Killjoy.
Same for when he goes "Here comes the surprise"... It's hardly a surprise if you tell her it's about to come! EUGH.

I'll rate in when I ride it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! Mike is one of the few people who has made me want to say "CF needs a like button" :D

Tim

Roller Poster
Moley said:
A little different then the point I was trying to make, watching someone else watch a movie you have no idea of it's content. Yes it gives you an impression of whether or not a person is enjoying it but to continue with the movie theme alot of people think The Godfather is one of the best movies of all time, but if you saw me watching it you'd see an extremely bored person. As with anything people's opinions differ.

So basing an opinion of a ride and it's theming based entirely on a video where we don't see the ride from anywhere near the angle we'd see sat on it is ridiculous.

But we DO know the context.
We DO know what this attraction is designed to do.
We DO know how this attraction was marketed.
And we DO know that the people we are watching are fans of the entertainment form that they've been invited to experience.

So how does your watching you at the cinema without knowing what the film work in relation to watching these riders experiencing something we have vast prior knowledge of?

Not to mention we're now trying to compare the passive, thought-provoking, emotion-triggering experience of watching movies against the aggressive, physical, but narrowly emotionally targeting experience of riding a thrill ride.

Like I said before, my opinion of the ride is high. And I'm eager to experience it.
I don't agree with the people putting it down ahead of time with silly remarks, but i also disagree that their opinions and observations are invalid. They are the public, and therefore the park's audience.
If they aren't on board with what has been presented to them, then there's clearly a problem.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Well gutted that Alton released this. I really wanted it to be a suprise but I only have myself to blame for being too curious!

I am impressed at the pre drop bit, the little drop before the main drop I like that. I also like the fact that the entire backwards section is indoors. However, extremely dissapointed about the phsycological factor, like you said furie. It was pretty much absent.

However, when the Saw POV was released and they showed you the indoor section they didn't show you any of the effects if I remember correctly did they? So we could still be in for some lights/ smoke/ sound maybe. But if it was going to be something very substantial then they wouldn't be able to hide it like they just did would they?

Interesting the train was full of adults as well, they're still aiming for the adult audience after releasing a POV and announcing a 1.2m height restriction. When will Alton realise they can get so much further with this by making it a family coaster and not an adult coaster. I really don't get it.

Unless they feel the 'thrill-seeker' groups haven't been targeted since Rita, so they just want to get them into the park to ride it. Families have been targetted every year since then, so that's probably their logic behind their stupidity.

Anyway, I am excited to ride this because it's something new and that vidoe pretty much shows it's what I was expecting, bar the indoor section. I really thought the fear would be something unexpected, not the expected.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tim said:
They are the public, and therefore the park's audience.
If they aren't on board with what has been presented to them, then there's clearly a problem.

Despite everything I say...

The people responding to the presentation are a very tiny sample of the people who will experience this ride and even of who are aware of it. As always, it's the minority of highly critical people who are sailing this particular ship. If they're not on board, it's because Alton have tried to sell an ageing Dell laptop to a Macbook owner.

The flip side of this though... I think it was deliberately sold to enthusiasts (both "real" enthusiasts like us who are active, and the passive ones with a high level of interest). By selling it to us and getting us on board, they can push it harder to the general public. If the UK's self proclaimed coaster expert says it's fantastic (or some other lie like 'Infusion is a brilliant new ride' :p ) then it gives the coaster some credibility. However, if you push too much as Alton have done here, it does backfire with the negative reactions.

Or does it? Maybe there are a lot of people who want to prove the fat, greasy, sweaty keyboard king enthusiasts wrong? I suspect that a lot of passing people treat us with a degree of contempt for taking it all so seriously, and will come to ride it just to make a point :)

It's a terribly complex issue. I think I may go and get drunk to let me see it all a bit clearer :lol:

[Edit]Oh yeah... I agree with Tim about the film thing 100%. You can't compare watching somebody on a ride and off-ride to watching somebody else watch a film. Despite not actually riding it, I have a wealth of experience in coasters and flat rides (both big and small) to draw comparisons on. While you can't get it 100% accurate, it IS possible to get a very good idea of things. I don't think based on that people are being too harsh at all, but there's no way those faces would have been the same on the first ever ride on Bizarro or El Toro.

Status
Not open for further replies.