What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh right, well ya learn something new everyday!

But then, why would they have to wait until the trademark license thingy expired before removing UgLand.

Having it a registered trademark would mean other people can't use it, but surely Alton could do what they like with it, including remove it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The Trademark expired in 2009. I think it's just coincidence to be honest that the place they put the new ride was a place with a Trademark expiry. It just means that they didn't need to bother renewing it - I think it's a red herring.

Funky Monk

Roller Poster
The Thirteen site has been updated slightly:

http://www.altontowers.com/thirteen/

Also, much bigger news for some people probably, the Thirteen Weekend small print now states "Please note - This package does not include a ride on Thirteen". Before it said something along the lines of "We cannot guarantee a ride on Thirteen".

So, have they been delayed?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
There were people saying this a week or two back...

Maybe it's being a typical Intamin/World's First and mis-behaving itself... There have apparently been issues during testing already, so again, it's a cover... Can probs see some people complaining (even though it didn't guarantee a go in the first place, we are British after all, complaining is second nature)...

Meh, if it's available that weekend it's available, to me it's not a matter of life and death if I get to go on it then, just means taking on the opening crowds OR doing what I did for Saw and waiting till a midweek day...

Ollie

CF Legend
^They never said they were going to in the first place. They simply put that they can't guarantee you a ride on 13. Which basically means it's not their main priority to get people on the ride during the 13 weekend but if it was ready and running then they would try to.
Obviously there's a delay with something which is why they've changed it so you don't get a ride.

marc

CF Legend
Yes Ollie I do know :)

But now they are saying no. Plus I happen to know a few people that are going on that weekend that were so sure they were going to get on the coaster.

Just due to them saying no does not mean there is a delay. Maybe staff have not been trained yet, maybe they just do not want people on the coaster until the following weekend.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The thing which seems to have upset people is that it's probably because they've decided to offer "first rides" to the competition winners.

I'll bet that it's like Saw, and the winners get their turn on a big opening on the Thursday or Friday prior to opening.

If they give guests at the 13 weekend a go - then the competition winners won't be the first.

So a lot of people are miffed now because they thought they had a chance, but now it won't happen in favour of some muppets willing to make fools of themselves on Youtube (no offence Ollie :p ).

nealbie

CF Legend
I deffo think they intended to let the guests on during the 13 weekend, but were just covering their asses for a Saw-like failure :lol: .

But now it's obviously behind schedule if they've needed to change it, I now worry for the Live. :(

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Unless people entering the competition have complained about the weekend people possibly getting a go before them...

Either way, ride or no ride, that weekend will be awesome...

I think I'll start a bookies for opening day anyway, for how long till the ride breaks down ;)

marc

CF Legend
I think people are looking into it to much.

I dont think they were every going to let people ride it that weekend and have just decided to say now, after people have booked lol.

Some people were going that weekend in the hope to ride it, sort of back fired on them people now.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yes, thankfully I was looking forward to the behind the scenes stuff and interviews.

It's not as if I'm going to cry, I live down the road, timing is a non-issue. :p

I think the people who paid in excess of £150 just for a ride are morons if I'm honest :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
^John Wardley, Extraordinary Golf and Hex backstage >>>>>>> Thirteen ride ;)

Yep you are one of the people that were not pinning your hopes on the ride, as I said others did not look at it that way.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Neal said:
I think the people who paid in excess of £150 just for a ride are morons if I'm honest :lol:

Harsh, but true :lol:

At least the Saw preview day last year I got the company to pay my petrol - so it cost me nothing :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
^John Wardley, Extraordinary Golf and Hex backstage >>>>>>> Thirteen ride ;)
So you want to pay all that money for a game of golf, to see someone who I saw for free last year and to see backstage on a ride that already has plenty of backstage videos on Youtube. :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Oh wow Ollie, because videos are EXACTLY THE SAME AS SEEING IT IN REAL LIFE... :roll:

Money discussions have already taken place, and I really cannot be arsed to go through all of it again, it's turned out at great value, and it's gonna be a good old fashioned geek out...

I also met John Wardley for free Ollie, in 2003 for Inferno's old AP event, so well done for you as well, did you want a medal?

Plus, we can have as many games of golf as we want <3

Ollie

CF Legend
^I was joking. Hence the :p .
And as amazing as the Golf at Alton is I expect after 2 games in a row it'll get slightly boring.
And yes I do want a medal lol. :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Well you ain't gonna get one... :roll:

Depends who you're playing with for the golf as well, and since many a person will be there, many games can be had... Especially since no-one will be taking it seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.