What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealbie

CF Legend
A Sense of humour - it's not for UC :lol:

But before that distracted me, back on topic, ummmmmmm.....

As Marc says, being similar to the one at Bakken, it is unlikely to yield much airtime as on that front Mine Train Ulvern was pitiful - We can however, live in hope. But the first drop no doubt will be absolutely fantastic based on the same theory.

It almost goes without saying that any airtime this produces will not be the main point of the ride. The "world's first" element and the rushing through the (at present) nonexistent trees are for sure more important. It looks to have a lot of speed through the outside course, with the highest "lump" (as UC so elegantly calls them) being a lot lower than the top of the lift.

So from my standpoint - still the best thing we've had in this country since Stealth, which is a rather upsetting notion to be fair :lol:

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
That first drop looks pretty "meh" to be honest - unless I'm missing something, it looks a bit small and shallow when compared with Mine Train Ulven.

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
A Sense of humour - it's not for UC

I most certainly do have a sense of humor (as anyone that's met me here in real life can attest to). It's just that I only have a sense of humor towards things that are actually funny, that's all.

Predictable American is - predictable :p

nealbie

CF Legend
Indeed Arly. I don't know why an innocent and accurate comment on the bottom of the drop being similar to that of a Mega-Lite digressed to "oh it must have airtime then!"

Personally I know who to blame... ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^With that last line, he was referring to the Germans (yes, Germans in particular). The internal humour here went haywire some time during your hiatus.

Anyway, this ride looks like a great addition etc...

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
Indeed Arly. I don't know why an innocent and accurate comment on the bottom of the drop being similar to that of a Mega-Lite digressed to "oh it must have airtime then!"

Personally I know who to blame...

Uh, who? If you're referring to me (which you likely are, as you seem obsessed with me at the moment...) I mentioned how it's far more similar to Diamondback's helix than a Mega-Lite (which it is)...I said nothing about airtime...

If you're going to insist on your love affair with me, at least be accurate...haha. I'd be more amused if I didn't think you were pleasuring yourself while posting to me...

Don't flatter yourself sweetheart. It's obviously the Germans d'uh! :roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
No, he was most certainly referring to me, which is why the "similar" in the line above was bolded, and the wink face was there. He's had an odd obsession with me the last few days, I can't quite figure it out...it's rather cute, though.

Neal is a stalker, it's true, but his "catchphrase" is "I blame the Germans". so he was referring to the Germans there, you just need to be part of his personal in joke :)

UC said:
At any rate, does anyone else think this looks far mroe along the lines of a Gerstlauer than an Intamin? Looking at this picture:

4157354425_97fd147247_b.jpg

Reminds me of stuff like this:

http://www.rcdb.com/2163.htm?p=7616

...though I feel the track style may be partly to blame...

I think it's the track style... If it looked like a Bobsled transition, I'd be excited though (family coaster with airtime anyone? :) ). However, with it looking more Eurofighter, I'm concerned... Though it looks like (unlike Gerstlaur), they've not used a set square for the curves :)

I still don't have any real strong opinions of this ride yet. It does just look "alright for what it is". I just wish Alton would stop trying to make it sound like it's the next biggest thrill ride ever...

marc

CF Legend
Once we see the train I think we will have more of an idea about how it will ride.

If they are 3 long then you might just might get a tiny bit of airtime. If they are 7 long I would say forget it and you wont, the hills and transitions are just not big enough.

I dont think Alton are hyping this up that much Furie, they are about the secret part but not really about the rest. For me it is just people on forums hyping this up.

nealbie

CF Legend
marc said:
Once we see the train I think we will have more of an idea about how it will ride.

If they are 3 long then you might just might get a tiny bit of airtime. If they are 7 long I would say forget it and you wont, the hills and transitions are just not big enough.

I totally agree Marc, we do need to wait for the size of the trains before we can guess at how much air (if any) it will have.

But I do think that given similar trains it will have the speed of a mega-lite through its elements, but it's never going to have the INSANE ejector that mega-lites do. Which is upsetting :(

marc

CF Legend
The one in Bakken had the same type of corners and was ok, it was smooth.

Neal I dont think the speed will get anywhere near the speed of a Megalite which is why I dont think there will be anything like the airtime through the corners. This does not have the same s-bends anyway.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah, but the trains were too long to give any air. So I think it would be different with cars that are like Piraten's. But still, not awesome ejector :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
Furie - I can see what you're saying. What I'm wondering is if it will ride like a EuroFighter...I'm sure the longer trains will have something to say about that, but it always seems to me that rides that try to do these kinds of transitions on bi-rail track seem to rattle a bit.

The Gerstlauer Bobsled rides glide through them, they're delicious! Also, family coasters...

Other than that, you're right, every bi-rail I've been on like this rattles badly (even tri-rail). Again, Intamin (let's see, Colossus, Kanonen and Rita definitely), rattle badly too. I don't have a lot of hope for a "big new Intamin".

If this is a family coaster though, maybe with a reduced speed we'll see more fun and less rattle - like the little Gerstlauers...

God... I can't believe I am hoping the new Alton coaster will be as good a Gerstlauer kiddy coaster! :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I do not think Megalite trains will work on this type of coaster due to the tyres used on the lift hills. Yes they could probably be converted but I dont think they would bother.

Furie honest the one at Bakken was smooth so I think this will be as well, it whipped round the corners as well.

tks

Strata Poster
furie said:
God... I can't believe I am hoping the new Alton coaster will be as good a Gerstlauer kiddy coaster! :lol:

Heibe Fahrt @ Klotten is one of my favourite rides EVER. Better than anything at Thorpe <3

oriolat2

Giga Poster
tks said:
furie said:

Heibe Fahrt @ Klotten is one of my favourite rides EVER. Better than anything at Thorpe <3

Not that it's SO difficult to beat any of Thorpe's rides :p

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
marc said:
I do not think Megalite trains will work on this type of coaster due to the tyres used on the lift hills. Yes they could probably be converted but I dont think they would bother.

Don't most tire lifts just pinch the brake fin?

Shouldn't be any conversion necessary other than removing the chain dog...

nadroJ

CF Legend
If this does end up anything like Mine Train Ulven then it's going to be insane, I really really enjoyed that, it was simple yet effective and as a family ride it meant everyone could enjoy it in their own way. I'm really looking forwards to riding it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.